Anyone play an instrument?

doogster

I just got a high end bass guitar this week, been stoked ever since, it needs waxing though. I got to thinking, does anyone else here play an instrument? There's a very diverse group from all over the world. Be neat to know, and post a pic of your baby, be it a guitar, pie-annie, pipe organ, kazoo. Don't matter. Here's a pic of the Warwick Dolphin that arrived Monday. For specs it has an afzelia body, ovangkol neck and wenge fingerboard. Bell brass frets too.

post-562-1195087266_thumb.jpg

It's beautiful, Andrew. What fun it would be to make a mini version for one of the houses. :)

Back in the day, I played piano, organ, clarinet, and noodled around on a baritone uke with a group while in college, but now I mostly play the radio.

I used to play piano, then got a keyboard about 10 years ago.....I used to have fun with it, but then got involved with minis! The keyboard is in the closet! I do play a hot set of finger cymbols though. Was the best there was once upon a time!

Wolfie

Although I do not play any instraments we as a family have a varied selection

I have a 100 yr old player Piano....it is only the piano now no innards for the player

50yr old Violin(my gran)she gave to my DH who can play a little of everything

an accordian, 2 occustic Guitars DH and daughter one Electric Guitar, a Bass Guitar,

Trombone,Trumpet,Full Drum set....12 string and a little guitar....I want to say ukelalie(sp) but I dont think that is what it is...Banjo

My middle son is alot like his father and can play a little of everything

at one time we housed 2 tubas also

I cannot play anything or read music or carry a tune....much to the horror of my musicly inclined family :Jumpy: :)

ohhh and I dont do music...I rarely can remember a song after Ive heard it and I only know a few songs and their singers.

Im generally LOL at in my house...when they play Im allowed the tamborine and they point to me when its my turn. LOL

pathetic really.

nutti :xmas_tree:

Ooooooooooooh, that's a nice bass Andrew!! Too bad we don't have sound files so we can hear you play it.

Once upon a time I played the flute but it sits on a shelf collecting dust now. I took a year of piano lessons and learned how to play ping pong so that didn't really work out well. Bruce and I both come from musical families tho. My family has it's roots in Bluegrass and founded the movement in Branson. My cousins had the first show there and my Granddad was the county fiddle champion until he was in his 90's. Bruce's dad was country all the way. Bruce plays a little just for relaxation but we've got a whole herd of stringed instruments. We have my dad's guitar, banjo and mandolin, another banjo that was given to Bruce by a friend of the family that's a little over 100 years old. Bruce has four guitars and we also have a dulcimer.

I do play a hot set of finger cymbols though. Was the best there was once upon a time!

I'm just guessing, but I bet there was dancing involved in that too, wasn't there. Just looking at the dancers on your website makes me think that you know something about the subject.

Deb

Gorgeous Andrew!

I came from a musically inclined family too. My oldest brother used to play harmonica for a blues band in the 1960s in the Boston area. They fronted for Muddy Waters a couple times.

My other brother played guitar.

The only instrument I played was the clarinet. I was really really good at it but when I found out I would have to play in front of the whole school (elementary) I got a bad case of stage fright and quit. My dad was peeved to the max about that one. To my mom`s dying day she always talked about how well I played and I should have never given it up..like scary good..for a 4th grader to be able to pick it up that quickly...

Oh well..I guess I wasnt meant to play in Lawrence Welk`s orchestra..hahahaha

I play a mean air guitar and air drums, yup!

I love music of all kinds, took flute lessons in grammar school, but never continued w/ it. My son got an electric guitar for Christmas last yr, still haven't gotten him lessons. Now that football is over, maybe we'll have time now. I think learning to play an instrument is great for kids. My nephew wants to go to Juliard school of music.

(I'm just glad it wasn't a drumset he wanted!!)

Chelsea tried the flute and it just wasnt in her. Natalie played the trumpet for 4 yrs. She was really good at it but once she got to be a teen she dropped it all together. She didnt scare the cats or dogs so I consider that good..LOL

I took paino lessons for about 10 years then discovered horses, then boys. Took it up again in college but didnt try hard enough. When I was 50, I asked DH for either a violin or flute for christmas and told him to choose. He got me a violin and I started lessons and took for about 2 years but it was hard to practice and focus working 60 hour weeks and business travel. I plan to take it up again in 2008.

My violin teacher begged me to play in recitals and I did - with all the 5 - 8 year olds. I get stage fright and it was totally humiliating. Adults would come up to me and say things like "you have real guts" which means that I made a fool of myself. However, the stories are great for entertaining friends. DH video taped one recital and threathens to show others if I get out of line (a joke). Perhaps I can be a YouTube star!!!

Good for you, Alyce! Lloyd and I talk about getting a keyboard every once in a while, but we have so many other things going on that neither of us would really play it ... and it just doesn't have the resonance of a real piano or organ to my ear.

I play several different things.......I played Clarinet and Bassoon all thru school...I was the band geek extrodinare...Then I ventured onto the flute, banjo, piano, harmonica, drumbs, bass, violin and basically anything I can get my hands on.

I tell ya...you haven't lived until you've heard Iron Man on the banjo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and my cousin and I once broke out with a perfect rendition of our school fight song.....on a whistle pop :yes:

I play several different things.......I played Clarinet and Bassoon all thru school...I was the band geek extrodinare...Then I ventured onto the flute, banjo, piano, harmonica, drumbs, bass, violin and basically anything I can get my hands on.

I tell ya...you haven't lived until you've heard Iron Man on the banjo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and my cousin and I once broke out with a perfect rendition of our school fight song.....on a whistle pop :yes:

Iron Man on banjo would be quite the thing to hear.

I'd love to learn the piano, self taught is great, as is formal. I learned by starting a band with me mate back in high school, we started learning stuff by ear. Got some books, leanred some chords, other friends taught me stuff. I do it just for fun. But I'm a bass player, and we're even worse than guitarists for being gearheads. Got the Rockbass Fortress a few months ago and was so blown away by Warwick's cheaper line that getting the real thing was inevitable.

I kinda prefer hearing Iron Man played on the tuba, but then, I am a bit weird....

Also a quintessential band geek here....in high school, played all the brass instruments except for trumpet, and that's only because there weren't enough bands LOL

I'm mainly a french horn player and I'm in a local band now, but when I did marching band, I was totally a tuba player...I tend to be a bit stubborn, so when someone tells me I can't do something, I prove them wrong...."you're too little to march with a tuba, it's as big as you are" HAHA you were wrong, I was right! I'm actually pretty good at tuba, and if I could figure out where to rent one, I'd start doing tuba christmas again

• 10 months later...
Back in school, I played clarinet (my favorite), oboe, English horn and piano. Now, I mostly just do sign language to music.

I know this thread is old, but I gotta give a shout out to a fellow oboe player! That was my main instrument through middle/high school, but I started on a cheap, plastic recorder when I was 6, Percussion during marching-season, self-taught piano, banjo, a little bit of dulcimer and door harp, but the hardest has been great highland bagpipes. I'm still learning on those.

I had a harmonica in grade school and taught myself to play the ukelele and some guitar. I can pick out songs with chords on the piano but don't use the right fingers or anything. Chord organs and keyboards are fun. I don't read music but if I know the tune I can play it. I wish I had had lessons when I was young but we were always moving so never did. I was always in glee club in high school and choirs at church. I was second alto and they always put me with the tenors.

Yes, several, or maybe that's used to. But I think it's like riding a bike, you never forget, at least not completely. For me, started with one of those cheap plastic recorders, then flute and piano, both limited in elementary school, went back to piano in high school, self-taught mostly and then in 11th and 12th grade and college, I was in choir. And even a little after that...my college choir director decided to start a choir of students and anyone who was interested from our city. My sister got in that one and eventually so did I, that's a long story, but I wasn't a student anymore by then...anyway, part of the reason I got in it is that the music they were learning was going to be performed with the NC Symphony Orchestra. THAT was cool.

I can carry a tune, quite well, obviously, but I cannot play any instrument by ear. I wish I could. :rofl:

I have a keyboard now and one of those home sized organs, that is basically used as a piano. I need to get it fixed, if I can...it is over 25 years old. Hubby wants me to get rid of both of them. Not a chance.

Terri

In my youth, I had piano lessons, and as I got older and my piano disappeared, I purchased a keyboard and whack away at it now and again! I love playing and haven't done so for a while. Thanks for reminding me of what I have!