The week that was

Deb

Hey ya'll. I'm gonna find a quiet corner here and just hang out and catch up on the posts this week since I'm a little behind. On Tuesday, my darling hubby Bruce had a heart attack at work. Thanks to a coworker who knew to give him an aspirin right away, and the paramedics who worked a miracle, he's going to be okay. They did an angioplasty and put in a stent within 90 minutes of the attack so the damage is minimal. He'll have to have a second angioplasty and stent in a few weeks, but with medication, diet and a couple of lifestyle changes, he's going to be okay. He's only 40 and in excellent health overall, so this was a total shock.

The ICU staff let me stay with him (well, that wasn't really an option for them since dynamite and wild horses wouldn't have been able to drag me away from him). Anyway, in their lounge, they had three, quarter-scale mini houses as part of their holiday decorations. No one could remember who made them, but it made me feel better to know that Bruce was being cared for by people who appreciated minis. It's really strange about where a person can find security in a situation like that. :blink:

So, while Bruce is napping on the couch, I'm going to catch up on reading posts and then go bash the foundation of the haunted house. I need some emotional grounding in the form of creativity.

Can I be allowed one little PSA? Even if you never take aspirin, keep a bottle in your purse, in your desk, in your car, and in your house. I never appreciated before just exactly how important that one little tablet can be. But because of it, I'm still a wife and not a widow. If you don't have any on hand, put it on your next shopping list. <_<

Deb

Retired RN here, PLEASE watch the expiration date on that bottle of aspirin or any other medication you have & don't leave it in your car unless you park it in a climate-controlled garage, heat can degrade any medication & change how it works. Otherwise that is excellent advice. Deb, that is MUCH too young; give your DH a {BIG HUG} every day & thank God for all those caring people :blink:

Deb, Iam sorry to hear about your husbands heartattack but Iam glad that he is doing fine and recovering I will keep you and your family in my prayers and yes 40 is young to have a heaert attack my husband is 40 also. I hope that you will have a better week this week.

Hugs,

Lyn

Hay Deb,

the aspirin really does work, about 3 wks ago my dad was having chest pains, actually he was hurting in his shoulder, and he has had a triple bypass years ago so a heart attack was suspected, as he was leaving the house to go to the ER, he stopped and took an aspirin, and the doctors said it saved his life, we had to drive 35 miles to the ER, but everything turned out ok, he had some nitro glycerin pill with him, he took 2 but they had expired, so everyone keep those things fresh, they didn't help him it was the aspirin.

so glad to hear your husband is doing well, i know what kind of a scare that is we will keep him in our prayers. :blink:

Mama Hen back again, ALL medication carries an expiration date somewhere on the packaging containing the med; it's on the prescription label you get from the drugstore, too. Please, please discard/ throw away all expired medications & replace the ones you need (like ASA/ aspirin). Topical meds that come in tubes usually have the date embossed in the crimping on the end of the tube. Check those expiration dates when buying meds, especially over-the-counter ones, just like you check expiration dates on dairy products, etc, you buy at the grocery store.

Deb, Oh how scary, I'm so glad to hear someone was around that knew what to do. I will keep yall in my prayers and thanks for the advice about the aspirin, will go immediately and keep "fresh" ones on hand here at home and at the office.

Here is a Big Hug for you.

Peggi

Hi Deb,

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. Thank God all involved were able to help him and correct the problem. Yes 40 is young. I will be 44 next month and I have had 5 heart attacks since I was 39. I will be keeping your huband in my prayers for a nice recovery as he makes the neccesary changes in life.

Deb,

So glad to hear your hubby is going to be alright. It's so surprising when someone is in good physical condition to hear of them having a heart attack but I know it happens. Hugs to you and him and thanks for reminding us all (reminding me) that asprin can be a real and litteral life saver. I usually don't carry any but I should!

If I can add something about experation dates - don't assume that because it's on the store shelf that the experation date hasn't passed. Last time I stopped to buy asprin.. half the bottles I checked were past their experation date and the others in that particular store were to expire within a couple months (I don't know why the bottles hadn't been pulled yet). I'd never had that experience before and I dont' know what made me look at the dates that time but from then on I go to a different drug store and I always check the dates before I buy.

-David

Deb, how frightening! I'm glad all is well now and will pray for your husband's continuing recovery! I'm definitely going to buy some Aspirin next time I'm out for groceries!

I used to work in a drug store when I was a teenager and the pharmacist I worked for was very diligent about due dates on medications as well as things like deoderants and whatnot. I remember pulling outdated items from shelves and boxing them up to go back to the manufacturer.

I check due dates on everything! The only old thing I want around my house is me (well okay, hubby too)!! :blink:

God bless you both!

it sounds as if you were ment to have some more yrs together and someone needs to take better care of himself.

but when tending to DH do not forget you also must take care and not get ill also!

put him to work on the Dollhouses it is great stress reliever.

nutti :blink:

Deb, I am so sorry to hear your husband had a Heart Attack <_< . 40 is so young and Thank God that he had a wonderful Co-worker to think about aspirin and give it to him. I will keep him & you in my prayers.

Misty, I will keep you in my prayers too honey. Please keep us posted and do keep aspirin in your purse (I did this just last week actually). The dollar store has them for $1 and it is well spent if it can save your life or someone elses!

So as for carrying the Aspirin, Thanks for the words of wisdom Deb!

I worked in QA for a Pharmaceutical company and expired drugs was a problem. We had reps checking hospitals all of the time because they were suppose to destroy expired drugs or send them back to us. You'd be surprised too about how many patients used expired drugs.

Do check them because they can mean your life. :blink: Okay, getting off my soap box.

Glad to hear he is going to be okay, Deb.

I write patient education and we recently redid our cardiology line. We have a lot of booklets about angioplasty and stenting, as well as on the lifestyle changes your husband can make to lower his risk of another heart attack. Please let me know if there's anything you're looking for more information about, and I'll send you what we have.

Deb - you and your husband are in my prayers.

I'm so sorry you've had this awful experience, but what a tremendous relief that your husband had a co-worker that knew what to do.

Relax and take care of your husband and yourself.

Blessings,

Susanne

Thank you everyone for being so caring and supportive. I really, truly needed a hug. I think I'm still reeling from the shock and trying to get a grip on things. (and catching up on sleep......there is no such thing as "sleep" in a hospital) The important thing is that Bruce is going to be okay. I can deal with anything as long as he's by my side.

Thanks again for being such a great group of friends. You really don't know how much it means to me.

Deb (off to get some sleep now)

Deb, I am sorry to hear of your husband's heart attack. An angel was standing nearby with that aspirin, what a lifesaver! Thank you for the advice on keeping aspirin nearby, I remember when my father had a heart attack a few years ago they began to put him on a daily aspirin.

Deb, I'm very sorry to hear about your husband's heart attack. I'm very glad to he is doing okay, now. I will definitly get some asprin for my purse! You just never know what is going to happen. I know what you mean about not being able to sleep in hospitals, I've never been able to do that either. Catch up on your sleep, now! And have fun on that haunted house. I've had to put mine on the backburner for a couple of weeks while I finish this semester, but I'll be picking it back up very soon.