Winter weather and heating your home

heidiiiii

There was a very informative article in my local paper and I thought I would share it with you all.

Take steps now to keep your pipes from freezing later

The majority of freeze ups are due to owner error. It could be that they ran out of oil, it was a part time home and the temperature got too low, or a tenant situation where the tenants were afraid to tell the landlord that they ran out of oil. You might think that because you are on an automatic delivery plan that you are safe. You need to monitor your oil on a daily basis because the oil companies base their delivery schedules on degree days. If they are off by just a little you could be in trouble. You are the king of your castle, so you have to make sure you protect yourself.

Whatever you do, do not completely turn off the furnace to save money. That can cause a build up in the furnace that will make itself known when you go to boost your thermostat. Turn it down but dont completely turn it off. People will make the mistake of shutting off certain rooms in their house that they dont use. And a freeze up develops in that zone. Then you have a service call, So how much money did you save?

In general, it is recommended to keep the house at 60 degrees but no lower then 55 degrees.

Letting water drip from your faucet is an old wives tale. It will just take longer for the pipes to freeze but it will happen.

Keep an eye on the windchill. It is really important that people keep their thermostat up, especially when it is cold and windy. Wind chill is a big culprit.

So schedule that furnace clean up, keep your tank above 1/4 full, and dont get Spartan with the thermostat, and you should be fine.

No one wants to see their pipes freeze and their ceilings come falling down. It is a terrible financial burden and you are cold in the meantime.

getting ready for winter is a big chore for sure but well worth the efforts in my book!

our airconditioners are comming out of their holes today. and the big one gets covered inside and out!

my house is 100 yrs old and has been weatherized by economic security

we have blown insulation in our attic and the walls. our major drawback is the windows.

to many of them and some of them so old we still have the weights and pullys.

those get Plastic all around!

have a great day

nutti :p