Reborn babies

heidiiiii

Has anyone seen this newer craft called Reborn Babies? Here is a link to an artist. I think the workmanship is absolutely awesome. I am just a bit creeped out by it and I dont know why. Maybe because they make them so realistic. They can have breathing mechanisms, heated pads to make them warm, then you get all the stuff you need for a real baby..diapers, bottles, binkies.

I think they are totally cool..I just dont know what it is about them that makes me feel funny. Maybe because they look REAL and they arent.. Sounds stupid I know.

The workmanship though is stunnng!

Thank you Gina! Cloned..that is what I think bothered me.

I didnt want to seem like some kind of doll monster. They are out there and there is a HUGE demand for them.

You could trick someone with those dolls.

I've looked at them too. They creep me out. I dont get the "reborn" part - what does that mean?

I think because you can send the artist a picture of your newborn and they can make a doll. So I could like send a picture of my 18yr old when she was a newborn (my Mom called her an Eskimo baby) and they can almost re-create her in doll form. Reborn!

At least you wont have to deal with a loaded diaper at 2am!

I am a doll collector and they have been around for a while. I LOVE them I have one too (not from this artist) but me and my girls love my reborn babe :p I wish my Grandmother was still alive....She would have totally loved them!!

I love them, I have several dolls I am going to reborn myself. My husband doesn't like them because he rather me have the real ones. I want the real ones but Then I never have time for dollhouses.LOL the Ashton drake I have is lovely and weighs as much as the real thing. It looks so much like my second one did. I enjoy her a lot. I keep it it the old bassinet from my kids and every time I get baby-itis I can play with her and not get pregnant. Of course if we made more money I'd probably have a dozen kids though. We love children.

Oh my Goodness, they look so real.!! and they are beautiful.. but the kinda give me the creeps too!! :yes:

My Grandmother got me 2 newborn babies when I was younger that look real, but definatly not that real.!!

kellee

Originally they were 'reborn' because they were old used regular vinyl or plastic dolls that artisits were refurbishing and repainting to look like the real deal, thus 'reborn'. I think they are creepy, I collect dolls but these are just too.... weird, oogy, wrong... something!

I've looked at them too. They creep me out. I dont get the "reborn" part - what does that mean?

Okay, i just clicked on the link...the doll does look life like...that is why i like reborns, I think it's cool that there are talented people out there who can redo dolls and make them look so human...however, when Andrew mentioned that they have breathing mechanisms and a heating pad in them...well now that just creeps me out... a little over the top really. I would never buy one. ick.

I do like reborn dolls tho, check out ebay, they have some really beautiful dolls that a pretty but without crossing that line!!!!

I had heard of reborn babies - but I thought they were just old dolls who had been "rehabbed" and given a new lease on "life" in a very general manner. These are so very realistic! I feel as if I've just found out we're in a futuristic place where "virtual" babies become the latest trend. Kind of like the movie, "The Sixth Day". (Clones, and virtual pets/virtual friend dolls.) I think it scares me a little - looking at that lovely, innocent, vulnerable little baby doll - I can see loving it, and wanting to nurture it. That is what bothers me! It would be very easy to "believe" in it. :p

Of course, my dolls were my babies when I was a little girl, so I guess it isn't so very different. But still. :yes:

At least the reborns will never borrow the car, or bring their friends home (unless you buy them some friends) or raid the refrigerator .......

But they are too much like cloning to me.....nope I'm going to have my next child when I'm 96.

Wolfie

• Like 1

Yes,

You hit the nail on the head. It is the fact that they made them so REAL (the breathing) makes me want to take care of it.

If you look on Ebay they even have preemies with breathing apparatus and lines in their belly buttons. Fred works in a NICU and he told me that he doesnt know anyone who would want to have their baby in that condition, let alone a doll.

Tracy can you post a pic of your baby?

I dont want to make anyone who owns one of these dolls feel like it is a bad thing. The ones that dont look like substitute babies are just gorgeous. I wish I had an inch of their talent.

• 9 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I apologize for bumping this old topic, but I have done quite a bit of research on this, so I want to share my experience.

i I'm new here. I collect reborn's, at 1st I only invested in one to model my knitted & crochet baby clothing to help them sell better, which worked a little bit and my work looked so much better than on a cheap play doll like this https://toyboxadvisor.com/most-realistic-baby-dolls it opened me up to the reborn community, where I seem to find loads of people who enjoy them & treat them like real babies some role play, using REAL baby food (still think that's odd but who am I to judge) some take them out with them they get mixed responses from the public, others just display them, I have seen some ladies with a beautiful nursery set up where they have spent a fortune on fancy cribs decorating furniture etc etc, least they wont grow out the stuff lol. I turned into a collector, I still make clothing but enjoy trying them on the dolls & taking little photo shoots of them posing in the outfits, I don't take mine out because the folk round here aren't very open-minded, I did find it relaxing pushing a pram always have. 
I am a parent carer so my knitting & crochet take my mind off the stresses of daily life plus I have disabilities of my own, osteoarthritis, ADHD & fibromyalgia so the dolls are relaxing.

These are 3 of my reborns. The one in pink knitted dress (which I made) is Robyn my micro preemie, the one in the Scotty dog skirt is Faith my new born size, bigger one is Mia in a pinafore I knitted. I have another 2.

file.php?id=2788

file.php?id=2787

file.php?id=2786

Edited by Careny

The reborns freaked me out because so many of them look so real!  Your outfits are adorable, and I bet that pink outfit would look wonderful on a real live baby.   once made this dress:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=33193 for this granddaughter:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=23993 and her momma and maternal grandma had a fit because "it was so short they had to put her in a pair of tights with it" (she was a lot bigger when I made it).  I guess since so many people use the disposable diapers they no longer use the frilly, lacy diaper covers mommas used to put on their baby girls?

Welcome to the little family, Nicolas; your little ones are sweet.

• 1 month later...

This interesting. I have some of these ..in the raw. I bought them and the equipment to do then about 3 years ago and never got around to it. As I am cleaning out things I no longer do I guess that is another thing to gather up and find a home for. There is some beautiful work shown here and one time I would have loved to explore this fabulous craft  but not now I fear. Well done to the ones shown, just lovely.well done to you.

• Like 1