Stage 1 of tooth implant

alycemina

Yesterday I have the first stage of a tooth implant done. This is when then put in the artifical bone. In about 4 months they can drill it for a post to hold a crown. It is super technology but very $$$$$$. I was just going to leave the tooth missing - on the upper side and could see the gap a little but several of my family/friends told me I had to get it fixed. Mom said she's pay and then died but left me a little money so I decided to get it done.

It doesnt hurt at all and isnt swollen. Just a couple of little stiches.

Its not nice getting older. Teeth that have been filled a couple of times finally can crack/split and its over. Bridges mess up the teeth around them, etc. But implants are forever.

Of course, dental insurance doesnt pay one cent, which I why I dont have it, since I pay for my health insurance myself and that is really expensive...even with a $12,500 deductible per year.

Good for you getting it done. I am all for a perfect smile. If it was missing in a place you couldnt see when you smiled then I would have left it blank. But because you can even see it a little..I would have forked over the cash too.

Are you going to give us before/after shots?

Yes, please keep us posted--I too am supposed to seriously consider 2 implants. I had teeth moved from the roof of my mouth to where the were supposed to go when I was a kid (adult teeth came in next to the baby teeth, not in the same spot) and supposedly the roots are now dying. They are pretty close to the front, and since my orthodontist had 4 of my adult teeth removed, I have always had gaps--the wisdom teeth were supposed to push the other teeth forward to fill in and it never happened.--Ever feel like a guinea pig?! One of the ladies I work with had some implants done a few years back and she has terrible stories, so it is nice to hear it is going well for you. Take care!

This is my second implant. The first was my lower front tooth - it had to be an implant since I have veneers on either side and they cant be distrurbed. The implant is perfect and I had no problems at all. Painless, too. This second one is even easier so far since the technology has gotten better still in the past three years. I anticipate no problems at all.

The key is get a really good dr to do the proceedure - someone who has had training and does a lot of them. get recommendations from your dentist. Also, follow the directions the implant drs gives you regarding antibiotics before, soft foods for a day or so after etc.

Go for it - it is costly but they should last forever.

How much does this implant procedure cost? I have a missing tooth too. I had the dentist yank it because it was cheaper than a root canal, which of course my insurance wouldn't pay for. It's really not that noticeable , only when I smile really big or laugh with my mouth open. But I'm just curious as to whether or not I could afford it now.

Good for you. I had 2 implants done last spring & I am very happy with them. I had a partial before & hated the wires showing & stuff getting stuck all the time, etc. My dentist was great & explained everything to me before he did it. He even gave me his cell phone number in case I needed him after office hours right after the implants were put in. Everything went well & now I only need to go back once a year for a root cleaning. You are right about the cost & insurance don't pay nothing!! Good luck

Steve

Here is New Jersey, the cost is about $2500 for the implant and $1000 for the crown. Not cheap but if you think about the cost of a bridge and replacing it periodically, it might come out even $ wise and the results are superior for implants.