going out of business

Shaci

FYI

it's so sad see a doll house store closing!

there is an ad on craigslist in the boston mass area.

heres the link http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bfs/485094558.html

********************************************************************************

doll house store

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: sale-485094558@craigslist.org

Date: 2007-11-20, 8:11PM EST

going out of business sale. custom wood doll houses,furniture supplies. every thing you need for doll houses. 880 plaza boston rd BILLERICA MASS 1-978-667-8333 MARY

PostingID: 485094558

That really is a shame! That's the 3rd 'local' one that I know of in the last couple of years: the owner of The Enchanted Cottage in Cambridge MA passed away several years ago and her shop is gone; the owner of Flight of Fancy in Westboro MA retired and now only sells at shows. I got a ton of stuff from her at the 50% off sale when she closed the store. I had a blast buying things! I think I'll call the number from craigslist tomorrow and see when she's closing and what she's got left.

Gail

There is a lot of chit chat on a lot of the lists I am on about the rise and fall of miniatures. The hobby comes and goes in waves...... Unfortunately a lot of the stores are closing because people buy so much on line and through ebay and other sources. So a lot of them go on line and close their shops....or the older ones just plain give up and sell out or close up. I'm a touchy feely person, I love to go to shops (of which there are none within my reach here in the hinterlands - and examine those things I wish to buy. I love to pick things up and look closely at them, and then put them down and move on or purchase. It's like going to a show. Buyer beware! Look, feel, then buy if you like.

Miniatures have been found in King Tut's and others tombs in Egypt. Miniatures have been with us since the dawn of man actually as man has always been fascinating with the small and tiny. We are in a decline period right now....and it could last for years but it will come back. And probably better than before. There is so much going on in the world and with life that there is little time for minis or like hobbies...... People are struggling with environmental issues, heat, water, warming trends, etc. The housing market is in decline, jobs are hard to find. We in our little community right here at Greenleaf - I feel are in pretty good shape...yes, there are health issues, job issues, but we struggle on. Hopefully we can make it through these tough times and come out stronger than before. So we must band together, sort of pool our resources and keep this wonderful medium alive! Otherwise, we will all descend into morbid depression. So let's work together and keep our hobby alive in "our world" and I'm sure there are other groups all over doing the same thing!

It is sad though. I can remember living in San Jose and there were shops for dollhouses and supplies and other hobbies all over the place! In my own neighborhood there were 4 shops where I could go and buy porcelain supplies, etc., and there were 3 mini shops within a half hour drive! There were two shops here in Missoula when we first moved here, and they have both closed their doors. One shop remains, but it caters to model cars and some trains and rc airplanes. NO dollhouse stuff whatsoever! There are also no suppliers of porcelain supplies either. I either have to go to Seattle or Spokane or forget about it!

This is my bent for this mornint....I may add more later when I can stop crying about this decline!

Wolfie

Oh, no, I think that is the store a friend told me about that is near us--well near her boyfriend's house. I hadn't made it there to check it out yet.

I use to love Flight of Fancy. When I lived out that way, I shopped there all the time and then I took a break from dollhouses and when I got back into it, it was gone. I was so disappointed. It was a great store.

Now, I may have to go check out the store to see what she has left. It is so sad.

Ok, I went. I bought loads of stuff. Everything is 50% off. She does not have any kits. She hasn't sold any in a long time, but has some finished dollhouses, I'm not sure if they were for sale. She does have (for sale) a swimming pool that her husband made to go with his dollhouse. She has a lot of furniture and accessories. Apparently her sister who is in Hawaii makes food and sells it at many shoes including Chicago. I bought some and a teapot made by her sister. Her other sister also makes some miniatures, but I didn't buy any of hers (she is also in Hawaii).

She is closing at the end of December. Her rent is going up and she can't afford it and her husband is in rehab after a stroke. Those are the reasons she is closing. She is very talkative and very nice. I recommend people go check things out there. She had very different lights for very reasonable prices--even more so at half off. She allowed a friend to put nonminiature things to sell and it looks a bit like a junk store, but if you have time to look it is worth it.

If anyone needs directions, let me know. I'll probably go back before the end of December. It was hard to see everything she had.

Here are some pictures of what I got for just under $87.

Ok, I went. I bought loads of stuff. Everything is 50% off. She does not have any kits. She hasn't sold any in a long time, but has some finished dollhouses, I'm not sure if they were for sale. She does have (for sale) a swimming pool that her husband made to go with his dollhouse. She has a lot of furniture and accessories. Apparently her sister who is in Hawaii makes food and sells it at many shoes including Chicago. I bought some and a teapot made by her sister. Her other sister also makes some miniatures, but I didn't buy any of hers (she is also in Hawaii).

She is closing at the end of December. Her rent is going up and she can't afford it and her husband is in rehab after a stroke. Those are the reasons she is closing. She is very talkative and very nice. I recommend people go check things out there. She had very different lights for very reasonable prices--even more so at half off. She allowed a friend to put nonminiature things to sell and it looks a bit like a junk store, but if you have time to look it is worth it.

If anyone needs directions, let me know. I'll probably go back before the end of December. It was hard to see everything she had.

Here are some pictures of what I got for just under $87.

I wish we had a store here...i love going and looking at stuff to buy. Our dollhouse store closed about 1 1/2 years ago, i don't know why.

I'm glad we have a Hobby Lobby here, but they carry the same old stuff...if they would order a different variety of things every few months that would be nice and i'm sure they would get more business that way. I know they have a 50% off sale all this past week, but i don't need anythingthat they are carrying...so i didn't bother to even go and look this time around.

Hi! I am trying to figure out whether the dollhouse that I bought from AC Moore already assembled in the Thanksgiving sale, the Victorian house that was only 100 dollars from 300, is a "full scale or half scale" as I am beginning to look at furniture. Thanks to anyone who can help. I am new to this - I have always wanted to have a dollhouse and I bought this for my daughter for Christmas!!

Hi, chances are, it is a 1 12th or scale house. I don't have an AC moore near me, but others have one...if you have a picture or can give a description of the house, i'm sure someone can identify it for you. Also if you start a thread in the "general" forum, you will have more people viewing your posts and youwill probably have more response :)

Welcome to the forum!

Also if you post a new person note under the new member forum, you will get alot of friendly welcomes! :birthday:

Now i'm very curious as to what house you got! Congratulations!

Thanks, Wolfie and Marg!! It is a fun shop. I'm sorry to see it closing since it is only about 20 minutes from me. She has a lot of unique things--mostly people she knows make miniatures and she sells them and then some of the brands of furniture.

The store is in Billerica. You would need to get to 95 North, Michelle. Take the Winn St. exit which is in Burlington. I can give you exact directions if you want them. Let me know. I was there yesterday.

The Enchanted Cottage in Cambridge MA passed away several years ago and her shop is gone;

Aww, that's too bad. I loved that shop. My friend and I would go whenever we had a day off in high school; we'd hang out in Harvard Square in the morning and then take the bus to The Enchanted Cottage in the afternoon.

There used to be a store on route 9 called The Depot Dollhouse (something like that) - is it still around? I can't think of any other Boston-area stores. It'd be sad if they're all closed now.

I remember them! I bought a mini mug with my name on it. As I recall, the store was very small and easy to miss when driving by.

For the heck of it, I just called information and they had no listing for Depot Dollhouse for Framingham or surrounding areas. :lol: