I am bit stressed out

heidiiiii

Two months ago Fred went to my doctor (new to him) and he told him that his blood pressure was elevated but didnt want to classify it as high blood pressure at the time. (new doctor, being poked and prodded can raise it at a visit). He wanted him to exercise more (he has been walking almost every day) and change his diet. His diet at home is better but he still is eating the crap at work. He is 42.

Fred hates the doctor and will not complain about anything. He has told me he has had headaches. At first I thought it might be because of work (they are having OSHA issues). Then he finally called the office yesterday to make an appointment for the headaches and dizziness. HE MADE THE APPT. So I know I he is worried.

So I found out that high blood pressure can give you morning headaches that go away on their own and dizziness.

I am freaking a little bit. I am the sick one..he is supposed to be the strong one!

So I just called the office, left a message, and told them that I did not want him to wait until January. If they couldnt get him in, then they could give him my appt with the doctor the first week of December.

I have been with this man for 21 years (since I was 17) and I will do my hardest to whip him into shape.

I already have been pouring over the American Heart Association cookbook and I have decided this morning NOT to brine the turkey.

I just wanted to let that out. I can`t say anything in front of the girls cause I dont want to worry them. So I am letting out the steam to you all.

Now it is the long wait for the doctor`s office to call.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heidi, I know what you are going through. My husband is going through some issues with diabetes and it is frightening. But I do want to say one thing, don't shelter the girls from this. They should be a part of what is happening to their dad, and they can be a great source of comfort for you when and if you should need it. They aren't little kids anymore and are probably much stronger than you imagine. It's a family situation that I feel the girls will only resent if they find out you had known for some time and didn't let them know. Just a thought!

Venting is good, and I can soooo realte to you feeling like this, been through a similar experience a while ago with my DH and I am sending positive thoughts your way! Hopefully he will get som good results when visitng the doc's and then some changes/meds to help him get the issues under control.

Hang in there kiddo, we are here for you so you just vent away!!!!

HUGS :ohyeah:

Thank you Wendy.

Oh no. I wont totally shelter them from this but just right now. Until we know what the doctor says. Once he is on medication, I will need these girls to be my drill sergeants when it comes time for him to remember to take his meds, exercise, and stay away from the salt.

The office just called and they squeezed him in on Monday afternoon. He works but the office is not far from the hospital.

I told the girl since he has been suffering everyday, I didnt want him to wait. She agreed and I didnt have to give up my appt.

You should have seen his face when I threw the brine down the drain. He looked like a kid who lost his ice cream off the cone. Oh well! Tough noogies.

I'm glad you were able to get him in right away. In my experience (I've been married nearly 40 years), when the GUY starts calling the doctor or asking you to call, he really is concerned, and needs attention. Otherwise they don't say anything.

I hope that indeed it is a matter of high blood pressure treatable by meds, and not something any more serious.

Try to have a good Thanksgiving. I know you'll be worried anyway. :ohyeah:

I KNEW he called the office wrong. I know that he didnt say things like Doc thinks I might have hbp and now I have headaches every morning and I am dizzy every day. He is a guy (no offense men-on-forum). They called within the hour of me leaving the message.

I did think it had to do with the office. Everyone has been getting headaches and they cant figure out what the problem is (ventilation maybe).

He hates when I buy low fat, low salt stuff (margarine, milk, mayo, salad dressing) but now that will have to be his life. I have already been doing it but I cant watch him 24/7. So I will be getting plastic containers and all his dinners will be coming from home from now on.

Heidi, I'm sorry your dh is experiencing the blood pressure problem. But, on a positive note on this subject, I have been through it, as has my dh. I was on blood pressure pills for years, [i had the headaches, the dizziness, the red beet face and all]. Now, I have none of that. But, and lo and behold, with a chemical change in my system, I no longer have to take them.

My dh started having problems with his, up and down, up and down, and our Dr. put him on blood pressure meds. Now, he is fine. He has to take one a day, but otherwise, he is fine.

It is much better for the Dr. to get it under control, put him on meds, and let him lead a normal life. He may have to change his diet, as you are already doing, but that's about all. If they get it under control, and he shows no other signs of problems, he will be fine.

And, I agree with Wendy. Kids do resent it when they are left out of important things like a parents health, so it will be good to share with them, once you know how it will be handled.

Best of luck for you and your dh, and I will be keeping you both in my prayers.

Heidi, a few years ago, I had high blood pressure. I got dizzy and I have always had headaches. I was put on medicine which controled it, but I also changed my diet--cutting out most salt especially when I cook, and started exercising (I'm not always doing it consistently). I found the change was enough to control and got off the medicine in less than 6 months. My blood pressure if fine now, but I still watch the sodium content on food and use a minimum amount of salt when cooking or eating. The amazing thing is I can taste the salt now in prepared food and often foods I loved I can't stand because they are too salty. Some of these are advertised as low sodium as well. The important thing is to get him to the doctor and watch the sodium. My doctor told me to stop eating prepared food and cook everything so I could control it. Most Americans eat way too much sodium in their diet.

Good luck!! Will keep you in your prayers.

Oh, and I have a recipe where you can brine a turkey with apple cider that doesn't have salt or minimal salt. I found it at cookinglight.com.

Heidi,

I'm glad your husband is going to the Doc and going to get the medical help he needs. Most men won't go to the Doc,, They wait til it's to the point of the emergency room. (or worse). Meds, diet and exercise will bring that BP right down in no time. And if you have to, sneak the low fat, low salt foods in to his diet, lol. How is his cholesterol levels?? That is something to watch for as well as the high BP.

Thoughts and prayer of course are with you. Keep us posted on his diagnosis/prognosis.

Michelle

Heidi, we've all been in your position. We still are! You are not alone! Doug's problems bother me too.....and I don't dare get sick as he is the sick one! You have to take care of yourself too. I'm so glad he is able to get an earlier appointment and I commend him for calling the doctor in the first place! Hang in there! 42 is so young to me now, but you take care of him now and he'll be around a long long time!

Wolfie

Heidi, I hope all will be well with Fred - I'm sure you will keep him on the straight and narrow! It is very worrying, I know. Fingers crossed that the doctor will have good news, and an answer to the cause of the headaches. (I'm glad that you didn't have to give up your appt. as you must be sure to take care of yourself, also.)

BTW - what the heck is "brining" the turkey?

BTW - what the heck is "brining" the turkey?

Thank you all for your big support. I am not good with cholestrol numbers so I cant answer that but I do know that it his cholestrol is not bad but not good. He (and I) have cut the fats and fried food way down. The numbers will probably be better when he has his visit on Monday. Not bad enough to take medicine but he had to make food changes.

Shy, You take a big stock pot and you fill it half way with water (i put the turkey in and fill it to make sure the water level is good), then you add 1/2 cup of salt, sage, pepper, thyme. You simmer the broth (without the turkey in there) until the salt is dissolved. Then you let the brine get to room temperature. You put the turkey in (cleaned and take out the bags) and fill the pot with ice cold water to cover. If you cant cover, at least have it breast side down. Then you put that in the fridge for 2-3 hours up to overnight.

Take turkey out of brine (throw away brine) and rinse off. Cook as usual. The brine softens the meat and gives you a very tender turkey. It is good to do with a big bird so you dont dry it out.

Today is his appointment and he forgot he had today off from work so he doesnt have to run back and forth for the appointment.

He says he still is getting dizzy but no headaches...he is either telling the truth or saying that to appease me.

Thanks for the thoughts..I will let you all know how it turns out.

Everything is fine with the old man`s ticker. His bp is beautiful. It must have been high before because of it being a new visit with a new doctor.

The doctor said his symptoms are actually from his acid reflux. He took him off Prilosec (which was not working) and put him on another med called Prevacid. He will call in the meds this morning so Fred can start taking them right away. Did you know that NSAIDs can cause ulcers? He told him to only use Tylenol for pain from now on..no more Advil for him. Doctor said that if the symptoms of dizziness and headache continue after a couple weeks on the new pill, come back in. Otherwise he will be fine. He said he sees this all the time in patients with acid reflux. It is just so unusual that people dont associate those symptoms with their gut.

Your prayers worked! A big chunk of worry fell right off my back.

Heidi I'm so glad to hear this! What a relief eh? I would be dancing up and down with joy! Now you can relax and enjoy life until the next crises....... it's funny but life is such a series of ups and downs, highs and lows....they all come in waves!

Hugs to you and yours! You will have a happy holiday season that is for sure!

Wolfie

Heidi I'm so glad to hear this! What a relief eh? I would be dancing up and down with joy! Now you can relax and enjoy life until the next crises....... it's funny but life is such a series of ups and downs, highs and lows....they all come in waves!

Hugs to you and yours! You will have a happy holiday season that is for sure!

Wolfie

Gina,

Dont you know it. I think it is the realization that he isnt that strapping 20 yr old that I met and fell in love with. He is still there inside but the outside has aged 20+ years. I think I know how he feels about me now. I have illnesses and maybe he had to realize that I am not the hot little 17 yr old he met and fell in love with either.

We are still modifying his diet. I am learning which foods are acidic to his gut so that he can feel better. He was eating tuna fish sandwiches for lunch at work! :) I told him that mayonaise is a big time no-no.. Vinegar, honey!