Why do you do mini's?

UVsaturated

I haven't yet been immersed into my DH, but was pondering how much fun it was going to be when I really get all my supplies together and start really making progress on it.

The question flashed across my mind of what exactly makes miniatures so fun? Then I realized why I am attracted to it and what I see as being fulfillment - it is all inside me.

I am way into spiritual things and meanings, so when I thought about ourselves being like a house with many rooms, it all came to me that when I begin building my mini, I will really be expressing different aspects of me on a tiny scale. The best thing is; unlike real life when things seem to go by all too fast, the time spent building a mini can go by leisurely so you can enjoy it. The ultimate "stop and smell the roses" moment.

I guess it really means you are finding time to work on yourself and enjoying the moment.

How about you all? Why do you do mini's?

It is like my little Xanax..w/o the prescription.

I needed something to do that was going to occupy my mind. Something that would make me forget my troubles and worries and let me dive head first into another little world. And it is fun.

Ben, you've really got me thinking about this. I think for me it's more about being creative and the euphoria I feel when I've made something and can look at it and say "wow, I did it???" I'm one who doesn't believe in the 'I can't do that' syndrome so I find I'm always pushing my limits. I like things to be a challenge and when I think I can't do something, then I have to try. Maybe it's more about personal gratification.

I've always loved architecture and designing houses. I get to build or plan my many dream houses and designs in mini much more readily than I would in large scale where it would cost millions.

I can play around, see what different things look like and it is great fun building them (more fun than building big versions I'm sure - just think of all the stress of money, planning and building of big houses!)

And with each little house I can perfect my hopefully future big house!

Muriel :ohyeah:

I've always loved architecture and designing houses. I get to build or plan my many dream houses and designs in mini much more readily than I would in large scale where it would cost millions.

I can play around, see what different things look like and it is great fun building them (more fun than building big versions I'm sure - just think of all the stress of money, planning and building of big houses!)

And with each little house I can perfect my hopefully future big house!

Muriel :ohyeah:

Oh, wouldn't it be fun to have the resources to build a real house like a mini? Especially some of those Victorian styles if that is your thing.

I have had minis forever. I find it to be a creative outlet. I can experiment with decorating styles (I love to decorate bedrooms, but my real ones are done) I love fantasy, but I don't think my husband would like a room full of tulle and feathers. I love the victorian style, but you can't flop on the couch and watch TV on those couches. I have gotten ideas for my real house from the minis. (Instead of copying a real thing into mini - I make a big thing that is a copy of a mini) Plus there is just something fascinating about seeing a mini scene that looks so real...

Wow!!! Great topic. I love minis because it's something I can be creative with. It's one of the only hobbies I've found that has such a big support group and a caring community. It's a whole world that other people don't understand, but everyone here feels the same about minis. It keeps me busy and out of trouble!!!

It's one of the only hobbies I've found that has such a big support group and a caring community. It's a whole world that other people don't understand, but everyone here feels the same about minis. It keeps me busy and out of trouble!!!

That it does! Since I am a guy, I am also into the predominately male hobby of model railroading. I think of it as a vast mini, because it incorporates large areas and so much potential (plus it has moving parts and can be functional as a strategic type of play).

As you can imagine, I have so much hobby stuff going on that I will be amazed to get any single one of them done.

Minis are everything to me. They keep me sane..... I can forget my problems when I delve into every aspect of mini work. Relaxing. Fun. Creative. Yes, like Valium....... The whole world can go to H**L in a handcart when I'm doing dolls and minis! I don't answer the phone. I don't talk. I don't deviate from my subject.....they are almost my life now. When you live in the wilderness and your closest neighbor is several acres away, you don't socialize much. So when I get depressed and down in the winter (we call it cabin fever here for real!) I do something wonderful and fun. Sure beats the alternative!

Wolfie

It's all of the above ... and a great satisfaction in participating in a complex activity that provides joy and delight to others, too.

Last night our 14-year-old had Movie Night here. About 10 friends rotate getting together at one another's homes, everybody brings a movie. Good kids, great fun. Our TV room is in the basement, adjacent to my craft area. I didn't freak her out too much by being down there. She's a freshman. She understands deadlines. :birthday:

Anyway, two of the kids, a boy and a girl, were fascinated with the houseboat. I invited both of them to come back when the furniture is in place and the lights plugged in, and I think they will. It was great to see their interest. I may have some little kit thing ready if I sense a spark. :)

I have to agree with everyone, it's an outlet from the real world to get away from the stress and to show the creativity that is bottled up inside. Also I can get things in mini that I know I will never be able to get in real life.