Newbie Hubby from Southern NY

rydinearth

Okay, I'm not very good at this kind of stuff, but if I don't post something pretty soon, I think my wife is going to divorce me, so here goes.

I joined the boards about a week ago, along with my wife (Cricket). (See her introductory post for details on us and how we got involved in all this.) We've decided to tackle renovating 2 dollhouses (a Rutherford and Pierce) as a husband wife team. Sounds like a fun project. Since I'm more of a techie type, I've been placed in charge of structural repair and wiring, and she's handling all the tough stuff, like picking out what kind of porcelain tub to put in the bathroom, and what color the chair rails should be etc. :p

Given the rather sudden and meteoric revival of her interest in this hobby, I must admit with some chagrin that I haven't yet reached my wife's level of enthusiasm, although I'm sure I'll get there eventually. After all, her passion for this is so intense, I could hardly help but get drawn in. We've been on the boards for about a week and, while this is my very first post, my wife has already reached Gold Member status, she's only getting about 3 hours of sleep a night, and she's put about 800 miles on the car driving back and forth from our rural home to the local hobby shops, where she has personally inventoried and scrutinized every single miniature on their shelves at least 3 times, not to mention revamping our budget to allow for purchases. When she's not on the boards, she's talking about them. There is no subject known to man which she can't segue into dollhouses in about ten seconds. She's up till the wee hours, fretting over where to place the living room furniture or what color to paint the wainscoting. She's constantly bombarding me with requests for ideas, or dragging me off the couch or away from my desk to show me another one of her own.

That being said, however, I love to see her enjoying something so intensely, and I am deeply grateful that my wife wants to share this part of her life with me. I can really see why she enjoys this, and I know I will too. We'll keep you all informed of our progress.

Are there any other hubbies out there like me?

Greg, it's wonderful that you and your wife have found something you both can share and work on together. My DH and I have an understanding that he is to completely and totally stay away from my work area. He's only allowed to give an opinion or advice when asked for. This way, there is harmony in our household.

Good luck on the renovations and hope to see lots of pictures.

Hi Greg, Welcome!

I giggled all thru reading your post. You're too funny. hee hee! You're wife and I would get along famously! I drive people nuts talking about my dh. Perfect strangers in the post office I start conversations with. My son says it's getting embarrasing. And every free moment away from the dollhouse is in front of the computer. Greenleaf might as well be my homepage.

Cricket is lucky to have you support her and join in the hobby. I could use a good man to help me with mine, like cutting moulding, etc.. Do you have a brother?? he he.. J/K !!!

I do have a guy friend who's an architect, and has also built a dh from scratch for his neice, so I talk to him about my house. He lives far from me on the mainland so we do the Instant messaging on the computer. (I live on Marthas Vineyard Island) He's the only friend I have that has any clue about dollhouses and has the patience to listen to me!!

I can't wait to see pics of the progress you two are making on your dhs.

I'm glad you both joined us, and I look forward to your humor in your posts!!!

Michelle

Welcome to the forum! My DH is not the least bit handy, but he likes to watch my progress and make suggestions, for example in my Harrison he was concerned that the residents of my house had to go up two flights of stairs to get to the bathroom! He is very considerate of their feelings and wants them to have a very nice house to live in! He really can't say much about my hobby because he has 400 books about the Beatles!

Glas to see ya join us! (FINALLY) :p

Given the rather sudden and meteoric revival of her interest in this hobby, (you can thank your cousin for that) I must admit with some chagrin that I haven't yet reached my wife's level of enthusiasm, although I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

Oh puhleeze! You know by now......

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! :borg:

But seriously, it is good to have you here. This is a wonderful bunch of people, chock FULL of great advice and some really innovative ideas. You'll soon see why I've been (ahem) gently nudging you to start posting. :p

Hello and welcome! :p My DH is not really enthusiastic about my dh addic... I mean hobby, but he will assist on occasion, like if I need him to hold something while I glue it, or if I need straight lines drawn (I can't draw a straight line with a ruler!) He doesn't really understand how I can work on several different things at the same time, in fact, when I showed him a furniture kit that I thought was cool, he looked at me quizzically and said "shouldn't you finish a house first?" grrrrrrr silly man

Thanks everybody, for the welcome.

Here I was feeling guilty for not matching my wife's enthusiasm. Sounds like I'm not alone in that respect. Guess I'm not such a bad hubby after all! (Right, Honey?) Just another lonely dollhouse widower, swept along by the inexorable tide of my spouse's addic...er hobby. Oh well, if I get too lonely, I can always find a throng of kindred spirits like myself sitting behind the wheel of their cars doing crossword puzzles in the parking lot of Joanne Fabrics.

Kay, don't be too hard on your man. You see, we are much simpler creatures than yourselves. Our rudimentary one track minds can only concentrate on one project, one goal, one conversation at a time. We like to carry a thing through from start to completion before moving on to the next thing. It's just the way we're made. We can't help it. After all, we're only men. :p

Anyway, glad to be here.

Hi Greg, welcome to the forum!

You're pretty funny :p

My boyfriend is a member of this forum...he's very supportive of my addiction and even enables me. Nothing like a little encouragement when you're already over the top with collecting and spending on mini's. He is Doogster (Andrew). He has his own collection of dollhouses and I would love to see him make more progress on his projects, but I won't nag. I think he'd do an excellant job. He's just WAY too much of a perfectionist and doen't seem to get very far.

I on the other hand have about 12 or so dollhouses in some stage of work and a few completed ones. Lots more in the wings to build too. I can't wait to see your wifes progress with decorating!

Hi Greg! Your introduction made me laugh. Around me everyone is very supportive of what I do, but they don't get involved in my hobby. Although my partner does buy me miniature things at auctions (he likes to collect art) and our son saves me scraps of craft materials from school "Look mum, maybe you can use this for your dollhouse' he'll say. As far as the computer goes, I have to limit myself to an hour or so, or else I would get any work done.

I think it's great your sharing work on the dollhouse, I hope you'll get some satisfaction from it too. Welcome to the forum from another newbie!

Belated welcome, Greg. My DH wanting "us" to build a dh for our eldest DGD was what got me started back with minis. He's an engineer, so he's also interested in what I build/ create.

His passion is cycling & paddling and he's already shopping for 10'-12' kayaks we can use for creeks and fishing, since both our sea kayaks & tandem are too long for most small streams.