Hello!

savinggrace

Hello,

By way of introduction, I am Melissa and I have been fascinated with miniatures since I was quite young. I am currently constructing my second dollhouse project; the first was the Greenleaf Arthur when I was about 12 or 13; and now for my daughter, I am taking on a much larger project, the Greenleaf Garfield. It is to be her "big" Christmas gift; along with a lovely Anne of Green Gables book!

I'm not going to lie, I am feeling slightly overwhelmed at the moment-taking a break after labeling and punching out sheets 1, 2, and 3 (of 39!)

I can imagine I will need a bit of hand holding these next few weeks; I look forward to getting to know you all; and hope I can offer support and advice to others once I am a bit more experienced and confident!

Best Wishes!

Melissa

Welcome to the neighborhood and WOW The Garfield is gonna be a dream come true! What step are you on? I always leave the parts on the sheet until the instructions call for it to be removed. I know some people take them all out and sand them and label them and then put them in a bag (I know me, I'd lose most of the kit by doing that though :) ) But, I know that works out better for some people. Have you decided what colors you are gonna use?

Hope to hear more from you and PLEASE share pictures with us all!

You really expect to get the Garfield built by CHRISTMAS??? I hope you don't have anything ELSE to do!! :birthday: It took me two years to get mine finished..and there is still some more to be done! :)

She is a lovely house, though. You should make sure to "dry fit" it together -- use lots of masking tape before you get near the first bit of glue -- to discover all those areas where you won't be able to decorate AFTER the build...like the wall coming in from the back door, into the kitchen. Or the dormers on the third floor. Or the inside of the tower. Or the second floor room behind the staircase....

And I DO hope you're not using hot glue..even though the instructions suggest that! Most of us here have discovered that hot glue gets brittle over time, and shatters, and all your lovely work is for naught.

Do ask questions. Several of us have built Garfields, and will be glad to help, if we can!

Thank you for the warm welcomes! I just browsed 5 pages of "Garfield" topics in the model specific section to avoid redundant questions and I am sooooo greatful for the head's up in many regards.

Specifically-I knew it was a large kit, but after measuring the interior doorways I have formulated a new game plan

I shall wrap up the box; (for beneath the tree) spend the next few weeks priming, painting, wallpapering, floor finishing and assembling minor components (sounds like the staircase is a doozy!)

And it will be assembled in my daughter's bedroom after Christmas!

Thank you as well for the no hot glue tip; in hindsight I think that was the main reason for my childhood Arthur's demise; many many years later.

May I ask; would anyone be so kind to furnish me with a list of components which can be pre-assembled prior to the houses final construction? Also, how many packages of 3/8's siding should I purchase; how many packages of shingles will I need.

I am fairly certain the exterior color will be a green shade of some sort. As fur further plans; I will be converting a plywood square brio train table for the display area, and I personally dream of picket fences, brick sidewalk and driveway, and plenty of roses in the lawn.

Regards,

Melissa

Welcome Melissa!

Wow! You sure picked a beauty! Please remember to take lots of pics (including your daughter when she opens it!) and share your progress with us. There are plenty of Garfield builders here, and you'll get lots of help along the way.

~Jeni

Hi Melissa, Welcome to the forum!

We all love to see and share pics of our dh's in progress, so be sure to take pics as you go!

You seem to be getting around the forum ok, and you know people here will help you as well.

You're daughter is going to be so surprised on Christmas morning! How old is she?

Good luck and have fun,

Happy Holidays!

Michelle

Welcome, Melissa! :)

I think your idea of wrapping the box is very smart - the Garfield can be a Mother-Daughter project. I only wish that my daughter was interested in minis - I would have loved to build a dollhouse with her.