Must have holiday toys

heidiiiii

I am totally out of the loop now that the girls are older. I was wondering what the must have toy your kids are wanting so badly?

I vaguely heard something about a Dora the Explorer with hair something or other people are fighting to get.

I want to snatch up one of those new Rubik`s cubes on payday. They are $20 and I think it would be a fun game to play with the family.

Toys? I thought we had our dollhouses and miniatures?! Oh are you talking about kids toys? Doug has his train and I am working slowly on his Greenleaf Village! He thinks that village is a toy. Since we don't have TV I can't tell what the kids want.....

Wolfie

Basically anything that's $30 and above! LOL My kids want everything they say on tv. My daughter really wants the Dora doll that turns into a mermaid, or one of the babies that eat and poo and all that. My son, wants all the car tracks, robots or any thing of that nature.

What they are getting for Christmas? Personal cd players, binoculars, and the Nintendo DS systems, along with the Buttercup for her and the Shenandoah for him.

My daughter and I just chatted, and she informed me that iPods are still very popular with children of all ages, as well as cell phones, etc., etc. In my day, we were happy with just little things like skates, or bikes, etc., but times have changed and we have to change as well. But then again Doug did get his electric train...... I would be happy with a few bottles of glue myself!

Wolfie

My kids won't be getting an ipod or anything else like that unless they pay for it themselves. I didn't want them to have the Nintendo DS' but I'm not their only parent. (I don't think they are old enough to take care of them yet.) I did order myself something for Xmas. hee hee!

I really really want a few paint kits though. Guess I have to go to Walmart and get them myself.

How I remember our Christmasses past..... I can easily take myself back to 1952....that was a good year. I was 11 years old! I got a great big bicycle - a Columbia with big fat tires. It was beautiful. Yes, it had snowed that year, so I got to ride it in the basement! Oh what fun with that bike. It became my best friend!

In 1956 I got a Royal Lion English Bicycle! Wow! What a difference! Now I had two bikes! The English one was awesome - 3 speeds (hey! It was 1956!), a head and tail lights....and was a gorgeous Sapphire Blue. I was in Heaven.

I can remember wonderful Christmasses where I received more practicle things like clothing, and as I got older more sophisticated things like perfumes, some jewelry. I remember 1962 very well. I received a diamond ring from my to be husband. What a Christmas that was!

Today's children have the most sophisticated toys of all.....and I am in awe of them. They just keep getting more and more sophisticated and more and more expensive....and what are parents to do. It's hard keeping up with the Jones nowadays! We break the bank to give these things to our children so they won't be deprived....and we become depraved! LOL

Wolfie

I remember Christmas when I was a kid, dreaming of Barbie's A-frame Dreamhouse and all the furniture, new dolls (how I still love that "new doll" smell!) and of course the latest record albums! Vynil records, ahhhh...what a time! Today, all the kids' toys DO something (batteries $$$) and they've taken a lot of the imagination out of toys. They all want XBox or PS3, and games (even the littlest one!) or pretty much anything BIG that costs BIG time.

BTW, never did get the dream house until a few years ago.. Mom said it was too expensive back then.

I remember being happy to get clothes and books growing up. When my mother was still alive I had two big oil drums full of toys. Then when I was 7 all those toys went to kids who needed them. I was too happy to have just a couple of new books or a shirt so I didn't miss all those other toys. I think the happiest Christmas I had was when I was 5, my mother got to see me in a Church play, she knew then it would be the last Christmas she spent with me. Christmas to me doesn't mean toys, it means spending time and being with family.

Books were always my favorites too. I got the whole set of Trixie Beldon's one year and was on cloud 9 over it. But I think my favorite gift was the year I was 15. My dad gave me a silver dove pendant with a diamond chip in it. It was beautiful, but most of all, it symbolized that my dad recognized that I was a young lady and not a little girl anymore.

My mother leaned toward giving me things like sets of dishes and EZ-Bake ovens and toy sewing machines when I was a kid. <sigh> She never quite understood that I wasn't going to grow up into her version of June Cleaver. Oh, I learned how to cook and sew and still do both, but I've always been more Morticia than June.

Deb

Great stories of Christmas past. I'm getting all melancholy now.. <sigh>

One year I woke up to a little table and chair set with all the plastic dishes and foods.

Another yr I got a ballerina outfit, along side of my brother's GreenBay Packers uniform. They were hung up on our console record player/stereo. Must have been about 1969 or 1970, I was 9 or 10 yrs old.

Heidi? How old are the children you are buying for? Are they your's or Grandchildren? Neices, Nephews?

My 14 yr old son doesn't reallly have a wish list yet. His dad just got him a laptop computer and some new games for it.

My 8 yr old daughter all of a sudden wants the expensive tech things.. a PSP, Techno-dog, Halo 3 video game, Nothing on the list under $40 dollars. Haa!!!

What happened to wanting Barbies and all the accessories??? and tea sets, board games. Ohhhh times have really changed hu?

Michelle,

My girls are 18 and 14. I know what they want...but I am talking about little kids. I was just curious about what was the must have lil kids toy. The toy some parents would fist fight over in the store to get lil lisa or lil david.

I never really did that with the kids. If I was extremely lucky and happened upon the thing that was HOT (like the wii i got) then it was all good..but I would never go searching every store to get that Elusive Barbie every kid has to have.

Just curious since my kids are older now and I dont have to venture into ToysRus anymore.

My Youngest wants anything to do with Horses.!!!

My Oldest has not mentioned anything yet... He got what he wanted for his Birthday a cd player & the Naked brothers Band cd.!

My boys are not into video games, we play board games. They have a Playstation 1 & Dreamcast game system. They may play them 2-3 times a month.!

My boys are outside kids, they love being outside!

Kellee

Chelsea has always been different when it comes to what she wants for Christmas.. Here is her list for this year..(i found a few of them on ebay for dirt cheap)..She loves to challenge me. I have never heard of half the stuff on her list.

Books

-Wigfield by Amy Sedaris (got it)

-The Book of Liz by Amy and David Sedaris (got it)

-Children playing before a statue of hercules

-David Boring by Daniel Clowes

-We want Freedom by Mumia Abu-Jamal

-The end of America by Naomi Wolf

DVDs

-Absolutely Fabulous (got it)

-Heima, Sigur Ros

-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind

-The work of director Michael Gondry (got it)

-Une Femme Est Une Femme by Jean Luc-Godard

and a plain Moleskin. (she has been getting these for years at Borders)

I think she throws in the foreign films to rattle my cage..LOL I usually have a hard time finding them or have to pay thru the nose for them.

Natalie is like every teen...newer cell phone, clothes, jewelry, dvds, etc.

I too loved getting books! I had the whole series of the Black Stallion, Lassie books, all kinds of books, including large books of Fairy Tales by Grimm, Bambi, Bambi's Children - both signed by the author long gone now. Slinky's! Whatever happened to Slinky's?! YoYo's by the score, Christmas candies which were the best back then, sleds, skates, new clothing ....blech! Who wanted clothing when you could play with something. I did get a Lionel electric train back then and my beloved metal dollhouse and ranch sets, tinker toys, checkers and other games, and mittens knitted by my beloved Aunt Zetta from the Canadian border/Maine border....one always knitted bigger than the other, but I wore them. Christmas past was always more colorful and better - but perhaps it was because I was a kid myself then. All the above was spread out over several and many years - except for the yearly mittens. Oh how I loved those! I would get them wet outside and come in and slap them on the hot radiators to hear them hiss and steam! And they always shrank just right for my hands then too! And the year our mare gave birth on Christmas morning was quite an event! Best gift of all! A tiny little filly - and I was so horse crazy then.....

Ah Christmas past....... remember yours? What were your favorite gifts?

Wolfie

Wow, little kid toys? I was in toys r us and all the toys nowadays look like junk to me. (I was looking at barbies for me)

My kids are all big. One wants a waterpump for motorhome, one just got a new gun, one got a new faucet for kitchen. So my shopping is done and gifts are given. Happy Holidays!!!

My oldest,11, wants video games and anything japanese and fantasy what she calls "chibbi cute" meaning anything so cute it makes you sick and edgar and ellen books

My second,9, wants a disney mix media player not ...likely at 100 bucks but I am a softy so we will see if i hold out on her...and I have to finish her duplex still looking for a drummer! found a cool drum set I think will work...

http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/whatonea...852_ps_srm.html

My son,4,"Pogi" (cutie pie male version) as I call him only wants the matchbox shark attack boat...but he is also getting the" little einsteins pat pat rocket"

Princess Rhubarb,2, has to be pulled away from the disney "dance w/ me princess", aurora of course because she is in pink, and anything princess I can get her will tickle her along with her house. Oh and the Elmo with the singing pizza..which I find creepy...I don't like my food to sing :banana:

My daughter,8, wants anything Littlest Pet Shop, Barbie or espesially the Polly Pocket ship. Unforunatly I can't get the Polly ship now, but I did find a playscale wood house for her Barbies that came with some furinutre as pick only on ebay for $16. So with a little touch up it will be very nice. ( She thinks it's for me ) My sons 3,4, want Thomas the train stuff. They are getting a James train and a leapster. They share one right now ( a gift from a friend) and are not old enough to think to ask for another. That I found a deal on. My 6 year old son wants Legos and that's what he is getting. ( found a deal on those too) That's about it here.