Garfield vs Pierce

ToScaleHouser

Hello,

I cannot help with the side by side comparison I am afraid; but we just recieved the Garfield and upon opening the box and REALLY paying attention to the dimensions I am forced to rethink my original plans in many regards.

Specifically, we have standard interior doors in this house. And to get it out of the room; we would either

a. need to remove the doors and door trim of the house we reside within

b. need to install scaffolding, gently guide it out through an exterior second and a half story window, around and into another second and a half story window to the intended room.

I'm contemplating putting the Garfield back into the box and putting the box into storage and buying a Pierce.

I am familiar with the Pierce model, and it is a very beautiful and impressive dollhouse in it's own right! I choose the Garfield because of the additional rooms and because it has 7 gables (a gift for my Anne of Green Gables loving daughter!).

Best Wishes!

Edited by savinggrace

I was just about to mention to be sure you build it in a place that can let you take it with you. This house is HUGE and beautiful but the Pierce has a lot of the same features without taking up as much room (And if you build it and you decided to move out of that house later, you can take the pierce but we have heard sad stories about the Garfield having to stay behind).

I am also rethinking if I can build the Garfield here. We will have to take down the door to get it out of the house because of the frame but the hallway and stairway is super large. It's just one we get it downstairs that we may have an issue.

I would love to see pictures of those two houses side by side too. That would be a fun picture to see.

one of my mini buddies just recently got a Garfield at an auction...this house is HUGE

and AWESOME!

it is sooo roomy!

Tracy I suggest you build yours in your Garage in the spring or summer months.

when I was looking at Glenda's I could see the paperclay so clearly....almost as clearly as I see the outside of my Granville.

I cant wait to see what she does with hers.

nutti :wub:

I don't know if it'll help you decide. Whenever I want to look at pictures of dollhouses, I do one of the following:

1- go to webshots.com and search the name with the word dollhouse behind it.

2- go to Google, search the name, word dollhouse. Then click "Images". It brings up pictures of things that could be helpful.

Of course you are looking at words that are common in the web world, so you'll also get people or places with the name. That's why it's helpful to look at images.

Nancy

I have both kits...... I started the Gar as I like to call her, and made up the foundation and the 1st floor staircase - and then realized that it would be impossible to remove it if built from this house without breaking the sliding glass doors in my living room and removing it that way....leaving behind glass and frame...... That would not do. So I got a Pierce and have that started - but because of life getting in the way - have not finished it yet. The Pierce will go through the front door here, and that is good. I will be putting it on a base, however, it will not be permanently attached to the base therefore facilitating easier removal should we move. This is why I'm going to landscape the base, but the house will be loose on it, and the landscaping will also be removeable for easier moving. The Garfield is about twice as big as the Pierce in reality. It's gorgeous! Has lots of room. Has beautiful features. The Pierce is also gorgeous. Has lots of room. Has beautiful features too! They are similar in many respects, but quite different houses. I love them both, always have, always will.

Of course I also love all the other houses by Greenleaf!

Wolfie

• Like 1

Hello,

I cannot help with the side by side comparison I am afraid; but we just recieved the Garfield and upon opening the box and REALLY paying attention to the dimensions I am forced to rethink my original plans in many regards.

Specifically, we have standard interior doors in this house. And to get it out of the room; we would either

b. need to install scaffolding, gently guide it out through an exterior second and a half story window, around and into another second and a half story window to the intended room.

I'm contemplating putting the Garfield back into the box and putting the box into storage and buying a Pierce.

I understand your concerns. I have the same problem. I decided to bash the Garfield so that it will be two halves. I am just now completing the base that it will mount to, so I cannot be of any help yet, but eventually I plan to show the steps necessary to make the house separate evenly. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Melissa, that is a wonderful Garfield! You look great! Like you were right inside it! It is a biggie isn't it!? That's why I love the Garfield so much! The Pierce is so much smaller yet, it too is a grande house!

Wolfie

to get it out of the room; we would either

b. need to install scaffolding

Given the amount of work any doll house let alone the Garfield is to complete it's well worth considering if you'd be able to take your master piece with you if you ever wished to relocate.

I can see the real estate listing now, "Buy full-size house get scaled-down house free."

Definitely a before consideration and that is the best time to think of it.

This may sound stupid, but is there anyway you could pivot the house through a doorway. You know, like you do with furniture and since it's an L shaped house?

I'd go with the Pierce, although the Garfield is a big beauty. The Pierce is much more versatile to move around.

This may sound stupid, but is there anyway you could pivot the house through a doorway. You know, like you do with furniture and since it's an L shaped house?

I'd go with the Pierce, although the Garfield is a big beauty. The Pierce is much more versatile to move around.

Yes. That is how it is done in tight spaces. I had a hard time getting it through my front door, and that was when it was falling apart and did not have a porch roof attached, which hangs out just slightly further. My front door is 31" at its narrowest point. I took it to my basement, which has a smaller door and walls on either side of the steps. That door was 29" and impossible to hook the house through the frame. Thats when I decided to make the house into a two piece construction so I could easily move it around when its finished.

I also had this same debate when I was considering buying a Pierce of a Garf. For the time being I went with the Pierce and even though the houses are similar, I absolutely love them both and HAVE to have them both. I built the Pierce and its pretty big and Ive done the measurements to compare it to the Garf so Im getting a Garf. I have to have it.

I measured my door and it will fit through it but it still concerns me somewhat. The house is actually wider on one side than the other like the Pierce. I cant get the Pierce through the door one side but I can if I turn it to its narrow side.