• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my 3 top pet peeves are:

1) when the boys dont lift the toilet seat :D

2) When people pass me in a NO PASSING zone :D

3) When someone takes the parking place that I have been waiting for :blink:

I have more then those but those are 3 that come to mind right now!!

Lyn

Only three?!! :D

1. BAD customer service.

2. Things that don't work like they're supposed to (i.e. computers, telephones, et cetera).

3. People who chew gum like it's the last piece they'll ever have!!

LOL! Mine are, in order of irritation with the first being the worst,

1. Failure to yield the right of way to emergency vehicles, including fire trucks, ambulances, etc.

2. People who think it's OK to go past and/or cut in line on a funeral procession.

3. People who say that they are going to do something, and then don't do it. Ever. That drives me nuts.

#1 pet peeve is all the insidious ways everything we do is managed (as a fairly recent retiree this is a real problem)

#2 telephone marketers & people who don't yield for emergency vehicles

#3 people who won't take just a few minutes each day to be kind & gentle with their children.

Three pet peeves, hmm, what is worst???

1. Seeing someone enjoying hurting someone else, ie in words or action diminish the other person's (or animal) feelings or actions just for the fun of it thinking that there are some people better then others

2. The "let it go" mentality, just shrugging over the thoughts of dealing with different issues instead of taking the time to talk them through and deal with them

3. when people (read collegues) forget to tell me things that means I get extra tasks to do...

Hard to sum up in only three but I think that these are the ones that really strikes the "wildcat" gene in me and I either growl or scratch a little when encountering soemthing along these lines :D

Hugs

hmm.......this is a good one. I have many pet peeves, but my top three at the top of the list...

1) People who are late, and come up with lame excuses like, Traffic, I overslept, and I end up waiting over a half hour to keep an appointment. Since I live on a time schedule and my day is full, being late is my #1 pet peeve.

2) little aggravations that turn into big ones, and i.e. take up precious time. Computers that don't work, MSN INTERNET SERVICE! :D and especially appliances that decide to konk out at inconvenient times! :D

3) biggest pet peeve--cleaning. This takes away so much time away from my day--I am not a domesticated diva. Hence, I try to do as much in as little time as possible, since I hate it so much.

I have since learned to deal with all my #1 pet peeves, but it is so hard. Sometimes these little aggravations cannot always be avoided.

Three pet peeves:

1. People who do things that are dishonest or even illegal, then when told not to do it, say the person who caught them is "uptight" or "anal."

2. People who provide detailed instructions, then when you follow them, that's not what they wanted after all. (This is a problem my students have their bosses fairly often.)

3. People who think they are the center of the universe, so they have a right to cut you off in traffic, stand in the center of the sidewalk with a large group so no one can get buy, cut in line, etc. They don't realize that they're souring things for the people who have a legitimate emergency or who are genuinely confused.

Mine are as follows:

#1 People with Hidden agendas. They pretend to be one way and then are really false and not true to the character they portray.

#2 People who don't pay child support (emotionally or financially).

#3 Selfish People. They cut lines, think only of themselves, hurt people feelings and can't and don't say "sorry" and then they look at you as if "you" have the problem. :D

I'm in total agreement with most everything that everyone else has mentioned. My biggest pet peeve is bad manners. There's just no excuse for behaving rudely. And all the "special" people who cut in line, cut off traffic, don't yeild to emergency vehicles, demand all rules be changed just for them, or demand something they don't deserve/shouldn't have are just plain rude. Obviously, they weren't raised well, bless their hearts.

My biggest "annoyance factor" is when things don't work the way they should.

Deb

I've been pondering pet peeves since I read the question of the day, and think that there's really just one big pet peeve that I have.

People who mistreat, abuse or take advantage of children, seniors, animals or anyone who is unable to defend themselves. Usually these people like to see themselves as being in control or having power.

Susanne

Wowsers! I've really enjoyed reading the responses thus far. It seems like a lot of us have the same pet peeves, however written, and one is just bad service, unfriendly and inconsiderate people stuff. I bring that up because I went Christmas shopping tonight. Not in the huge city in which I live, in which I cannot go shopping anymore. No, I went to the smaller town up here at the other house, and it was SUCH A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE!!! All the people there were friendly, all said "excuse me", all said "thank you", they were all smiling and laughing, and the young lady who checked me out was absolutely fantastic and very friendly. And for those of you who don't know about us southerners, well, we'll talk to ANYBODY--just strike up conversations all the time, so it was a real treat for me tonight!

#1 People who want to take all the credit when something goes right but is the first to lay blame on someone/something else when things go wrong. Taking responsibility for one's own actions is getting to be a lost art.

#2 Anytype of cruelty to babies or seniors, the first is to young to take care of themselves and the latter deserves to be taken care of.

#3 Rudeness/Impatience when you know there will be lines at the counter, intersections, etc.

Peggi

These are the first few things that came to mind

1. People that can not carry on a conversation with you without preaching religion at the same time.

2. People talking on cell phones when driving , or doing something they should be paying attention.

3. Prejuduce of any kind, and not sure if this is based on prejudice, but those that when meeting someone ill will avoid them or get really extra nice, just becasue they have a disease or something

Melissa

I have many of the same pet pevees as most of you, but the things that ticks me off the most are people who are constantly on cell phones while they are in check out lines and are holding up all of us behind them because they aren't paying attention to the cashier. Exactly what is so important that it can't wait until they get out of the store?

I also can't stand it when I am at the check out and the cashier or sales person is to busy talking to another employee to pay attention to what they should be doing. Servicing the Customer. I work in retail managment part of the year and I have fired sales associates for chatting while a customer is standing waiting and being ignored.

I can't stand being in a resturant and children are allowed to run loose and annoy other people who are trying to have a nice relaxing meal.

terri

David, what is herd mentality?  I hope I'm not one of them by asking this question!  :D  Is it like people travelling in packs?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Teresa,

I probably should have explained that when I posted it but I figured it summed up most of my many other pet peeves into one :D Herd mentality is.. it's like cows ... one runs pretty soon the rest are running and they don't know why lol My mom (god love her) sometimes falls into this catagory.. Someone will say how horrible teenagers are and she'll agree oh yes they're horrible they're all just horrible.. until someone else says how great some teen ager was to help them with something and then she starts with "I know exactly what you mean" and starts in how she knows the nicest teenagers. She can hear a crazy rumor and believes it's the gospel truth.. like the email that was going around about butt biting spiders - I had to get on the net, look up the spider (by the scientific name) and show her that they are not dangerous to humans and live in the rain forest (hot moiste climate) and will not live well under cold sterile public toilet seats. She was actually afraid to use a public facility. I guess it's the mentality of taking others words as a fact (especially when there's a fear <stampede> factor) instead of thinking about something calmly, checking it out first hand, and deciding for ones self.

- David

Usually these people like to see themselves as being in control or having power.
People with Hidden agendas

The issue underlying all our pet peeves appears to be the abuse of power. Unfortunately in our world there are people so insecure & afraid deep in themselves that they seek & abuse power over those they perceive as weak (both the truly helpless & the merely polite).

I think what sets most of us here apart is that we are not so self-centered we cannot lose ourselves in our "little" worlds. Any hobby broadens the mind and shows us what we are & are capable of, and puts us in closer touch with reality in the end.

Anyway, that's my story & I'm stickin' to it :D

Linda, read your post about shopping at Christmas. I try never to attempt shopping on Black Friday, even though some of the deals are great, and love shopping in the small towns or small specialty stores more because of the friendly and happy attitudes of the owners. The big stores forget that customer service is really important.

Peggi, your #1 pet peeve I agree with. I find people who don't stand up and take responsibility for their actions or words highly irritating. However, it seems to be a norm to blame others for personal mistakes these days.

Terri, cell phones are sometimes a hindrance, aren't they? I remember when working in my former job, we let the employees carry beepers, but they had to cut their cell phones off because if they missed something, it was our butts on the line. We were allowed later to answer the page on our break, but not on shift. I remember well writing folks up for talking on their cells when they should have been on duty.

Bad manners is a normal thing, or considered normal nowadays. Thank you notes have gone by the wayside, and as for writing emails, I have received some that are badly in need of Miss Manners school of etiquette, to say the least. So Deb, that is one that I have found that gets at me too--bad manners and no desire to improve in that department.

Oh, the cell phones! The cell phones! We went to hear music the other night, and the place was full of people rushing around with their cell phones, frantically (and loudly) explaining to their expected companions exactly where they were sitting, issuing updates on how many tickets they might want, and generally making a hullabaloo about how difficult it was to organize the perfect evening. I'm sympathetic to people who are genuinely confused, but there were a lot of clues that the perpetrators enjoyed making an unnecessary fuss.

I'm with ya on smaller towns, Linda. Alas, there's nothing remote enough within a reasonable drive here -- the small towns on the Peninsula are still part of the big city culture because it's just one mass of sprawl.

Fortunately, holiday shopping seems to have come to a screeching halt with the beginning of December. Other than people swarming around Macy's, downtown here is moribund this week.

OK. Since we're talking about cell phones, that's one of my other pet peeves (I only named my top 3 like a good little girl!). I cannot stand to go out to dinner and someone is talking on their cell phone, and usually loudly. We don't answer our home phone when we are eating dinner, nor do we answer our cell phones. We don't even take our cell phones into restaurants, unless Jimmy is on call or my mother is sick or something.

Amen to that, Linda! I hate carrying a phone at all (except for those occasions when I'm too dense to follow simple directions and need to be talked in -- if I hadn't been able to call you on that trip, I'd still be circling Charlotte in a haze)...

I've starting considering participating in conversations that are annoyingly loud. Hypothetical conversation:

Cell talker: "Paula! It's so good to hear from you!"

Me: "Tell Paula 'hi' for me! How's she doin'?"

Cell talker: "Let me tell you about my last date in excruciating and loud detail!"

Me: "Yeah, that guy was a jerk. Let me see if there's anyone in my phone book."

What a great idea Calamari! Responding to the cell phone conversation! I'll have to try that next time!

Jimmy and I went out to dinner with some friends of his and her cell phone rang and their daughter took it out of her mother's pocketbook and proceeded to carry on a conversation while eating and food falling out of her mouth and ... I about got sick!