What's Your Pet Peeve?

LPCullen

I guess my 3 pet peeves would be:

1) Compassion seems to be in short supply today,

2) You aren't supposed to say "Merry Christmas", and last, but not least,

3) People who refuse to take responsibility for their actions -- It's always someone else's fault.

Debbie

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the kind comments. Yes, going through the training for the website(and my husband and I have had the regular intro, and even eight hours non stop with our webhost--) so there are always things to hash out with support that I might or my husband might not have discovered when we start playing with it. To set aside time, well, that's just what you have to do. And I always find I learn something new when playing with these web tools, so I still have a long way on the website to go...

One of my pet peeves from way back is people who don't allow you to say Merry Christmas....

oh dont ya know Linda?? its now politicly inccorrect to say Merry Christmas because of the word Christ and what the name implies :blink::p

I wanted to say more but I have no wish to offend anyone and I just cant say what I want to say...how I want to say it.

sooooooo

!!Happy HondaDays!!

rofl that comercial just sums it all up!!!

nutti :lol:

by the way I have not listed my pet peeves but

religous and racial intollerance would be my #1

Now see, that's one of my beefs too. I will tell someone Merry Christmas, and they'll look at me snotty and say "I don't celebrate Christmas". Well, OK, but I do. If you want me to be sensitive to your religious beliefs, then have the courtesy to be sensitive to mine. I don't mind that someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas and smiles at me and says "Happy Holidays" to me in response to my Merry Christmas, but the snottiness I can do without. In truth, or in my mind (which is a scary place), it's a way of wishing someone well ...

My opthamologist wishes me "Merry Christmas" & he's Ba'Hai, my Hindu dentist wishes me "Merry Christmas", the Jewish supervisor I had when I worked at Lionel wished me "Happy Christmas", and I wish them each happy holidays. It's interesting that other religions seem so tolerant of Christianity and some Christians are so intolerant of not only those other religions, but sometimes each other, too. I have no patience with any sort of intolerance, but we used to own a bookstore many years ago & it didn't take many attempts to censor what we sold to make me that way.

Now see, that's one of my beefs too. I will tell someone Merry Christmas, and they'll look at me snotty and say "I don't celebrate Christmas". Well, OK, but I do. If you want me to be sensitive to your religious beliefs, then have the courtesy to be sensitive to mine. I don't mind that someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas and smiles at me and says "Happy Holidays" to me in response to my Merry Christmas, but the snottiness I can do without. In truth, or in my mind (which is a scary place), it's a way of wishing someone well ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you that we should all respect each others beliefs. We don't have to agree, but we can still be respectful. As a Christian, I do celebrate Christ's birth. But, I do not expect anyone who does not believe he is Lord and Saviour to celebrate this occasion with me. I hope for acceptance for my belief, as I accept others right to not believe that he is our only hope of redemption.

I've often heard people refer to "you religious people", or "you people who go to church". This offends me because I don't see myself as religious or someone who goes to church. I am a Christian. Attending church doesn't make someone a Christian, anymore than standing in a garage gives them a right to call themselves a car!!

Susanne

Now see, that's one of my beefs too. I will tell someone Merry Christmas, and they'll look at me snotty and say "I don't celebrate Christmas".

See, all they're accomplishing is making themselves look Difficult. Possible better answers:

1. Happy Hanukah!

2. Delightful Dinali!

3. Wonderful winter solstice!

4. Have a tremendous Tuesday!

People don't realize the possibilities here...

standing in a garage gives them a right to call themselves a car!!

The southern version of that is "if the cat had kittens in the oven, we wouldn't slap butter on them and call 'em biscuts!" :blink:

Deb

:lol: ya'll make me laugh....I was reminded years ago of wanting to give a young girl who lived with a member of the church some baby clothes as a Christmas present, since she had just had a baby and was a student. I asked the 'lady' (I use this term loosely now, as it still makes me angry--) if I could give the presents to her to put under the tree for the young girl, as a surprise, and she immediately looked me in eye (this is in church after choir practice, of all places--) and said

"We don't allow Christmas presents in our home." I must have looked shocked, (which I was--) for it took me a moment to recover from the rudeness. I asked then if she would be willing to just take the clothes for the young lady and give them to her-- :p and she reluctantly agreed. I still have an unsettled feeling about that when people say, they don't celebrate Christmas, etc. Needless to say, I do not attend that church anymore...

The possibilities of wishing someone a happy holiday are so endless and rich...I myself have to wonder how much fun these people are to live with! :blink: :lol: So Linda, I totally know the 'snotty' attitude you've come in contact with. It is very depressing at this time of year.

I don't celebrate Christmas and view it rude when people who "know" me insist on saying "Merry Christmas" to me, or give me a gift wrapped in "Holiday" paper.

When someone knows you, it is as if they are imposing "there" beliefs on me and it is not loving in my opinion. Now, I have received Christmas Cards from some people and I think it is very nice that they actually "Thought" of me :p . Those ones who sent me those cards don't and didn't know that I don't celebrate Christmas, so I don't feel offended by it :lol: . Just like I do not feel offended by the lady at the checkout line.

In other words, I know people would not like me to force or impose my beliefs on them and so I don't. When I have a "friend" (which is someone who knows me) that has a different belief than I do, I keep Religion & Politics out of the relationship, Period. If they ask me about my beliefs, I answer them but because people ARE intolerant or can be easily offended, I answer there question and don't persue it any further because I know that relationships end because of things like that.

When at a check out line and a stranger wish me "Happy Holiday" I do tell them to have a "Great Day". Why would I say Happy Holiday or Merry Christmas back when I don't celebrate it? I think it would be rude of me to tell them I don't celebrate a holiday, so I don't but, I do say have a great day.

When people get so upset about these types of things, to me it shows religious intolerance. We are different because no two of us were made completely alike. Would I go to McDonalds and call corporate and tell them I am outraged that they have Merry Christmas in there store? Now, that to me is petty and I thought it was crazy when I heard of the lady that did this when I heard it on the news :blink: .

What I am trying to say basically is that religious tolerance means respecting and accepting what another person believe, Period. B) :lol: That is my opinion and I am sticking to it :D :lol:

I wasn’t following this thread so I apologize for the delay in responding to the call for action regarding pictures at my websites. I agree 100%, it would be ideal to have pictures of the backs. The Corona Concepts site does have cross browser compatibility issue (so does the main Greenleaf Dollhouses site) that prevents some browser from viewing the additional photos. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. I’ve been working on a revised Greenleaf site that will included additional shots of each house and have been considering linking to the blogs where available which have a ton on photos/info. I hope to have this posted early next year. I’m still trying to figure out what to do with the Corona site. I think the entire site needs an overhaul so I’m reluctant to move on the issues previously mentioned.

Honestly, the problem is time. I do everything on the websites myself. I understand the importance of properly displaying my products and I think that I’ve done a fair job even though it might be somewhat basic. Believe me, I have a list of improvements that I’d love to implement, but my priority must be in putting out the best dollhouses I can because without that, the rest is irrelevant. I’ll keep chipping away at it.

I’m going to take this opportunity to thank all of you for posting pictures in the Gallery. This has been a big help in overcoming the short fallings of both sites. I often refer customers to the Gallery for addition views and without your help, that wouldn’t be possible. I hope in the future to be able to use this combination not just to show the houses in more detail, but mainly to show what true potential they have when in the hands of creative people like you. Your continued support in this area is greatly appreciated!

As far as my pet peeve, these Jihad folks really get me smoked! I wished they'd all go out in a corn field somewhere and blow themselves up. I know that might not be in the spirit of the season and could even be misconstrued as religious intolerance, but when your talking about a bunch of extremist on a Holy War who have sworn not to rest until every single American is dead who doesn't believe in their God, I think you get an exemption from the intolerance issue.

I wish everyone the best through out this holiday season; if you celibate Christmas, Hanukkah, both of them or none of them, I wish you and your families joy and good health!

Dean

Dean, it's hard to follow up with joke after all you've said . . . but I just can't resist . . . I think hubby would be very upset if I went celibate this Christmas! No, don't think that's going to be on my resolution list! :blink:

Thanks for pointing that out Teresa! I was going to edit the post, but I saw people where accusing you of loosing your mind in another post and I don't want to make matters worse!

I meant to write celebrate, not celibate!

Happy holidays, Dean, and thanks for keeping up with us when you've got so many things to juggle.

I’m still trying to figure out what to do with the Corona site.

While you're waiting maybe we could build some Corona kits to blog/ post gallery pictures (there are already some Primrose, Orchid, Buttercup & Lily pictures, among others, I'm sure) that you could use to refer customers to.

Having been in retailing, if not manufaturing, I can imagine what a tremendous job you're doing. Thank you so very much for allowing us to come & play here, and having such nice things for us to play with :blink:

I don't celebrate Christmas and view it rude when people who "know" me insist on saying "Merry Christmas" to me, or give me a gift wrapped in "Holiday" paper.

When at a check out line and a stranger wish me "Happy Holiday" I do tell them to have a "Great Day". Why would I say Happy Holiday or Merry Christmas back when I don't celebrate it? I think it would be rude of me to tell them I don't celebrate a holiday, so I don't but, I do say have a great day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. It's the people that you don't know or they don't know you who come off with the ugly attitudes that get to me. Life is too short to be ugly to people, and it's simply not necessary. And as you say, if you're in a line and someone tells you Merry Christmas and you say have a great day, then that tells them that you don't celebrate Christmas, but you do wish them well. That's all that needs to be done. Being considerate of someone else's religious and other beliefs shouldn't mean that I have to give mine up.

While you're waiting maybe we could build some Corona kits to blog/ post gallery pictures (there are already some Primrose, Orchid, Buttercup & Lily pictures, among others, I'm sure) that you could use to refer customers to.

I've not put pictures of my Lily in a blog here, but if it would help I will. (That is if you think it is good enough to post) I offer because I think I'm the only one that is just about completed a Lily and checks on the forum regularly.

Thanks Dean, for the forum I couldn't have built the Lily or at least not as easily without the help and information I've received here.

Peggi

As a Christian who celebrates Christmas, I'm not in the least offended by people who don't and I sympathize with their discomfort ... I know I would find it tiresome if everyone I met in stores and at work constantly wished me a "Happy Ramadan!"... and I wouldn't think I was being rude if I simply responded "I don't celebrate Ramadan."

And I don't feel in the least bit like I'm slighting my own religion to say "Happy Holidays"... then again I never felt like the obligatory "Merry Christmas" exchange with store clerks and complete strangers was any more meaningful than "Have a nice day."

Of course, given my husband and I strive for the life of a hermit couple, I don't spend a lot of time wishing anyone anything. :blink:

Agreed. It's the people that you don't know or they don't know you who come off with the ugly attitudes that get to me. Life is too short to be ugly to people, and it's simply not necessary. And as you say, if you're in a line and someone tells you Merry Christmas and you say have a great day, then that tells them that you don't celebrate Christmas, but you do wish them well. That's all that needs to be done. Being considerate of someone else's religious and other beliefs shouldn't mean that I have to give mine up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, I think what I'm trying to say is I'm not real fond of rude people, and religious beliefs/and or differences or political affiliations/beliefs don't really have much to do with it.

I think what I'm trying to say is I'm not real fond of rude people
Whew, then that's leaves me out :lol: :p .

I try not to be rude but I think Sarah (my Daughter) thinks I am right now. I snatched her marker from her as she was about to draw because she was about to draw on my wall (By accident but the result would have been the same :blink: ).

We are going to bath and body works because Nana gave her $5 to spend and Sarah says she "needs" some new American Girl Lip gloss :lol: :lol: .

As far as my pet peeve, these Jihad folks really get me smoked!  I wished they'd all go out in a corn field somewhere and blow themselves up. 

Dean

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This may be a bit of dark humor ... but I'll go for it anyway. Do you think that the corn would pop ... like popcorn!!

Susanne

When someone knows you, it is as if they are  imposing "there" beliefs on me and it is not loving in my opinion. What I am trying to say basically is that religious tolerance means respecting and accepting what another person believe, Period.  :lol:  :p  That is my opinion and I am sticking to it  :lol:  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tracy, I'm not sure my other post made sense--at least it didn't to me when I re-read it. What I meant was that I am agreeing with you that it is rude when someone who knows you insists on saying Merry Christmas to you when they know you don't celebrate that holiday. I also agree that to continue to do that to you (or anyone else) would be imposing their beliefs on you.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't like it when someone snottily and/or nastily tells me that they don't celebrate certain holidays, when I clearly had no idea that they didn't celebrate that holiday and was only wishing them well, which is how I view it. I don't get offended if someone says "Happy Holidays" to me and I don't snap at them over it. It's the rudeness in responses that are uncalled for that bug me.

Did I make sense that time?