Stain vs. Paint

pamlynn

I am trying to decide whether to paint or stain the railing on my Laurel. I can't seem to find many pictures of the finished product, so I'm waffling a bit. The house is baby blue with white trim and dark blue shutters. I'd appreciate some feedback. Thank you.

Pam, here's a list of people here who have done the Laurel with photos.

Look in their galleries.

dollhousegirl

Esther

Color Me Holly

Pam

Deb

Adallae

Josi

Hope that helps you decide on color or stain.

I personally would paint it white or the darker blue. (Same colors I have chosen for my Tennyson.)

Let us know what you decide!!

Michelle

Thank you so much for your help! I'm not very good with the computer and my hubby really isn't all that interested....I'll take a peek at the houses you listed and hopefully by tomorrow evening I'll have a picture or two to share.

Hi :wave: I like to stain cuz it's so much quicker than painting! I do like the way paint looks, but i LOVE the way stained wood looks :)

Not to mention, if you find you don't like it, you can always paint over the stain... not so easy the other way :(

Since most of the house is painted, why not paint the railings? As was mentioned, it's easier to paint over stain than the other way around....... So if you decide to stain do it before you paint! Confusing? You betcha!

Wolfie

Decisions, decisions.....I think my head is going to explode!!!! I think, I maybe, I should, most likely, may or may not stain the porch railing. Like you all have pointed out I can always paint over the stain if I decide I don't care for the outcome. Pam

I finally made a decision! I stained the porch railing and such. I'm currently waiting for the railing to dry, then I'll put it in place and snap some pictures. I am so excited!!! Next stop, the dreaded shingles. Am I supposed to stain them? Do I have to do anything to them? Thank you for the patience you have all shown with my questions. Pam

I will tell you how I do my shingles...but my way is NOT the only way...just the way I do it.

I try and break apart my shingles in rows...I lightly sand the edges.

put in a bag.

when I am finished....I take my ruler and make lines accross the roof....these will be my guide for the shingles....than starting from the bottom/outside edge I use glue...in circles covering the whole line area......lay my shingles

next row again I slather the glue in the line area and a nice line on the top of the shingles I just layed....lay the shingles.....

now be careful of glue getting on the outside of the shingles....its gonna happen no matter how careful.....I personally dont let it worry me...I just let it dry peel it off and let it be a different color....it lends to the realism of the roof.....thats my story and Im sticking to it.

keep doing this till you have reached the top....I also keep applying pressure to the where it looks like its comming up...when I use the quick hold I dont have to do this as much....

when its is done and dry for 24 hours I stain....I stain first add paint later if the stain isnt working for me.....I have found that if there are places in the roof that seem warped....they seam to work themselves out when the stain is applied....like the wet glue warps the shingles and the stain warps them again....

easy peasy.....and I find the shingle process very calming.....which is a great thing since I am getting ready to shingle the MHM.

happy Building

nutti :lol:

Hi Pamela - welcome to the community!

I would think that a glue-stick lacks the holding power that you need for shingles, but then, I've never tried using one on shingles. Someone else will be along soon with a good answer for you, I'm sure. :)

Hi Pam ... I love the wallpaper. It sparkles!

I think the porch should be painted, too. The stain look too much indoorsy -- nice for stairay bannisters but not for wood that will be out in the elements.