Garfield

SEAlla

Hello-

I am new here and am working on the Garfield. I obtained it from someone who had started it but decided they didn't want it anymore. It has seen better days but with some TLC from me it is really coming around.

Since I didn't get the instructions with it I was wondering if you could tell me what size furnishings I need to purchase for it so it remains to scale? (As you can see I am new to this) :lol:

Thanks in advance for your help. I have already learned quite a bit from this forum and am sure that I will have several more questions through the process.

Susan

First let me welcome you to the forum, SEAlla ;) We're glad you came to play with us.

Different houses have different size rooms, so you want to take a hard look at your Garfield. While most kits are scaled for 1:12 (1"=1'), some are smaller/ larger than others (the Sugarplum :D :lol: ). Start with just one or two pieces you REALLY like that you think would look good & try them on, and then you'll be able to tell if anything else will fit.

I have a bad habit of thinking there's more room than there actually IS, so that's sort of how I work in what I may want.

Welcome to the Community Sealla!

This is a WONDERFUL house when built. You can contact Greenleaf Direct for Instructions by clicking HERE

This is a 1" scale house and I have seen this one in a dollhouse shop and the rooms were a nice size. Like Holly, I shop by room size first (just like you would in a real house). Furniture comes in all shapes styles and sizes. Keep us posted and please take pictures so we can follow along with you :lol:

Welcome Susan! Horray for you scoring a Garfield! :lol: You should be able to squeeze quite a bit of furniture into it because it is a large house. I usually buy a set of furniture I really like and then fill in as room allows. Most 1/12 inch furniture would fit I suspect!

Have fun and be sure to share pictures with us!! :D

A Garfield! Wow!

The house is definitely 1:12. I would be a little bit cautious about buying furniture that is extremely bulky in its proportions, but I'm talking about extremes here. The vast majority of 1:12 furniture should be fine in that house.

Let me appologize ahead of time if I get crazy with the questions. I have so many right now but I figure I don't want to wear out my welcome so quickly. 

cant happen!!

ask away! we love to learn and we love to share!! and how can you learn if you dont ask questions?? if one of us dont have the answer there are a couple who can find it... so plzz ask all questions.

and hey!

WELCOME to the forum!!!

The Garfield is a wonderful house. Im hoping to do one someday for my Granddaughter..but I figure I got some time because she wont be 1 until Jan.

so I got lots of time. but lucky you get to do one now!!!

post-9-1134068708.gif

again Welcome to the forum!

nutti :lol:

Susan -- I just realized that if you're a complete newbie (apologies if you aren't), there might be a couple tricky things about how furniture is labeled. So here's the quick guide to dollhouse furniture packaging.

Most standard dollhouse furniture is 1:12 (also sometimes called 1:1, for "1 inch to 1 foot"). If you're buying from a dollhouse shop that mostly sells current minis, you can assume that, when no scale is given, the item is 1:12.

If the maker is Lundby, that's 1:18 (too small). Just about anything "vintage" from pre-1978 is 1:16 or smaller. Don't buy without measurements.

Dollar store furniture is all over the map on sizes. Furniture packaged as a set may be different scales. But for $1, you can afford to experiment.

Susan -- I just realized that if you're a complete newbie (apologies if you aren't), there might be a couple tricky things about how furniture is labeled. So here's the quick guide to dollhouse furniture packaging.

Most standard dollhouse furniture is 1:12 (also sometimes called 1:1, for "1 inch to 1 foot"). If you're buying from a dollhouse shop that mostly sells current minis, you can assume that, when no scale is given, the item is 1:12.

If the maker is Lundby, that's 1:18 (too small). Just about anything "vintage" from pre-1978 is 1:16 or smaller. Don't buy without measurements.

Dollar store furniture is all over the map on sizes. Furniture packaged as a set may be different scales. But for $1, you can afford to experiment.

Thank you.

That actually was going to be my next question. I understand the 1:12 and 1:1 (thanks to previous posters) but everything in between, vintage, or "not labeled" and the like, throws me off.

I think, until I get a bit more experience under my belt, I am going to sick strickly with the labeled stuff.

Oh, but it is so easy to get carried away. Everything is so cute and so much fun, I don't know where to start or when to say enough. :lol:

Susan

Congratulations! The Garfield is a great house. It's the first kit I picked out for myself. Unfortunately I have a shortage of space right now and haven't been able to put mine together yet. :D Don't worry about asking lots of questions. I'm sure you'll be able to find the answers you need here. And you can always use the search feature to look for previous posts about specific subjects too. I'd love to see how your Garfield comes together. Good luck with your building, and welcome to the forum! :lol:

That actually was going to be my next question. I understand the 1:12 and 1:1 (thanks to previous posters) but everything in between, vintage, or "not labeled" and the like, throws me off.

The good news is that, other than Lundby and the dollar store stuff, if it's wood and it's new, it has to be either 1:12 or 1:24 or the tinier 1:48, and those are easy to tell apart by eye. 1:24 and 1:48 will also usually be labeled as such, which leaves everything else as 1:12.

Manufacturers of furniture only make standard scales, so you're in no danger of being tricked by something that's kind of the right size but actually 1:10 or anything like that, as long as you buy new(ish) and stick to the sorts of furniture that's meant to be realistic for collectors, rather than "play" furniture.

Once you start improvising with items that aren't officially dollhouse furniture, then things get dicey. Two notes:

--Hallmark is good about sizing its ornaments to dollhouse scales, so their stove is 1:12, their piano is 1:24, and so on.

--Seasons of Cannon Falls is much less helpful that way. I love their stuff, but they're totally inconsistent about size. Some adorable pieces are 1:6 (Barbie-sized), some are about 1:18 (there was kitchen stuff last year), and some... who knows!

Susan ... Wow! The Garfield. That's incredible. I have a friend at work who has been a doll collector for years. Over the past few months I've been showing her pictures of my Beacon Hill and bringing in miniatures that I've made/bought. Katie got hooked, and recently bought the Garfield kit. She and her significant other will spend the Christmas Holidays starting to build. She's already collected some furniture. And of course, I now know what to buy her for Christmas!!

Please keep us posted on your progress and post lots of pictures. I've asked Katie to do the same.

Welcome!

Susanne

And of course, I now know what to buy her for Christmas!!

Isn't that the truth! My family has asked me what I would like for Christmas this year and I said anything that they think might be useful in my dollhouse endeavors.

I scoped out this site and made a list of everything posters mentioned were helpful tools in their build. I then gave that list to my family as my wish list.

Couldn't be better timing! :lol:

now dont forget to go to Miniatures.com and start a wish list there!

I gave mine to my hubby..of course he asked

"what am I buying you?"

lol

I envy you as you build your first house...as there can only be one First house.

Mine was the 1/2 scale victorianna

enjoy enjoy enjoy!

nutti :lol:

Welcome

I have the garfield and yes its a great house ,Mine was a basket case I opened it and found I had 2 walls, a bad tower, and one floor no, main foundation.

I have the instructions some where maybe I can e-mail them to you.

I fabricated a lot and I did good I was only 2" off in the building .

I have it painted and is part of my christmas display I found lights and a tree so it sits with the outside out . some of the rooms are wallpapered, lights and have funiture . so friends love to peek to see what I have done so far .

I need to take new picture but crashed the computer and lost the comand for thr camera and can't get it to work.

good luck

Donna

Hay nutti

Yes I was so excited that I had to put some things in .

I have had more fun with the men friends peeking in and see what I have done their over almost every day with ideas :lol: to make it homey they also bring me thing to put in it. :D

I think I'll take the computer in today and see if my guy can figuer out why the camera wont work,I just need to make Cookies ;) to brib him to fix it.

I think I'll take the computer in today and see if my guy can figuer out why the camera wont work,I just need to make Cookies :lol:  to brib him to fix it.

Ah, cookies..........the ultimate weapon. Geeks will work for food and caffeine. :lol:

Deb