Beacon Hill

KathieB

I've mentioned before that my Beacon Hill (won in the Heart Arbor contest -- thanks again for being such a generous host, Dean!) will become the home of voodoo priestess, Marie Laveau, and her daughter, also named Marie. One of Marie's clients, the lovely Sophia, arrived from Gina (Wolfie) some time ago. And last week, the Maries came home! They're resting comfortably on my dresser for the time being, but I'm getting bombarded by queries as to when the construction will begin. (Sophia will be a visitor to the Beacon Hill. She'll eventually have a little Creole cottage of her own, probably a bash of two Adams kits.)

Maman Marie (about 1790-1885) is a jovial soul who walked with ease in two separate worlds: Haitian voodoo and Roman Catholicism. The younger Marie (about 1827-1897) carried on as a voodoo priestess after her mother passed on. With the similarity of names, some people thought the elder Marie had been reincarnated. If you check the look on the younger Marie's haughty face, I'm thinking she was looking forward to the time she could come into her own.

This Beacon Hill will be mid-1850s New Orleans. I'm looking forward to researching the decor as much as I am to building it. All three women seem fixated on something both surprising and amusing ... I wonder what that will be??

For inspiration for Mama Marie, I sent Gina a photo of Leah Chase, the famed New Orleans chef/owner of the Dookie Chase restaurant. She's Lloyd's cousin. You think she nailed it? I do!

Wow Kathi! The three of them together look awesome! Sophia looks right at home with them, even though she is darker in comparison. They make quite the trio! And they'll be in the Beacon Hill! WOW! Can't wait to see that!

You make me proud!

Wolfie

The three ladies look even more wonderful together in person. ;)

Gina, I knew Sophia would fit in the moment I saw her on your website. New Orleanians come in every shade from butcher paper white to café au lait to cocoa brown to ebony black. Nobody notices, everybody blends. It's a wonderful world outside of the headlines.

I hope someday to visit New Orleans! It's on my "places to see" list!

Right now though I'm not going anywhere. It's snowing like crazy and we're in for a night night. I made up some flavored coffee/coco blends and we have too many cookies to have with it! A good night to sit by the fire. Doug is having Spiced Mocha with cool whip in it sprinkled with nutmeg. And some Snickerdoodles and Kourembedies.

Wolfie

Marie Fille is definitely giving Marie Maman the "eye"! They're fixin' to give Sophia some powerful juju to spell somebody she's at odds with! Do let us know when they get around to letting you in on it, too.