Sympathy for those who suffer back pain

Peggi

Monday morning, being a good girl and trying to get ready for work, since there was a layer of frost on the ground went out to crank car and melt the frost off the windows so I could see out the window of my recently fixed car, turned and slipped and hit the ground very hard. (Fluffy don't make for an easy landing). Did a perfect split (which I couldn't even do when I was a teenager) and managed to jam two disc together. Luckily, since I was home alone (dh had left hours earlier) I was able to get halfway up and after about 10 minutes, (walking in a half crouch with hands on knees and stopping every excruiating step) I made it in the house. And after another 15 or so minutes was able to make it to the phone, thank god for good friends, called one up and she came right over and turned my car off (gas is still way to expensive to let it run for 8 hrs till hubby could get home) and took me to my favorite chiropractor.

So, again I've been out of work all week (thankfully I work where I have sick leave I can take so I won't miss a paycheck) and as long as I don't sit in one place to long, I can manage to get to the important places in the house (coffee pot, bathroom LOL).

So for those of you who have suffered back pain I have a whole new sympathy for you. If you have any tips on getting up from a chair easier or how to roll over in bed without loud moaning, they would be greatly appreciated.

Also, George, our boston terrier sleeps with us and I have been trying to train him to curl up in the curve of my back to use as a heating pad, no luck so far--he rather curl up in the bend of my knees which makes it even more interesting to try and roll over.

In all seriousness though, this is painful and I really do feel for you guys and gals who suffer everyday with this type of pain. I am hopeful after a week's rest and a couple of more adjustments that mine will go away.

Peggi

Oh, Peggi! You poor thing! How frightening and painful!

Chairs with ARMS are your friends. Chairs with low, comfy seats are the enemy! If the seat is high enough that your feet just sit flat on the floor, getting up will be much less painful. (About sitting, I can guarantee nothing...)

To roll over in bed, you have to kind of brace yourself on your arms and flip, rather than using your back muscles.

Thanks Calamari, you're right about the chair with arms and luckily my legs don't hurt so I use them to brace on. I don't think I ever realized the back muscles played in even picking up a cup of coffee LOL

Peggi

uuuuugggggg!!

poor baby! :p

I have been a sufferer of back pain and Im sooo sorry that this happpend to ya!

pillows were my friends for comfert in bed and make sure you have good support at your lower back....getting out of chair easier...hmmm.

a cane or the back of another chair to pull yourself up instead of pushing?

I cant remember. I know I was in bed for almost 2 weeks when mine gave out before the surgery. so dont remember sitting in chair much

so do what the dr tell you and follow directions...they do have some idea what they are talkin about.

good luck and hope you are feeling good real soon!!

sounds like ya got the essintials covered!

nutti :blink:

I don't think I ever realized the back muscles played in even picking up a cup of coffee LOL

Oh my, don't remind me! You actually started out in much worse shape than anything I've done to myself -- but don't you just gain an entirely new appreciation about the miracle of the human body, moooooost particularly how many unlikely muscles are required to do really, simple necessary things like visiting the bathroom?

I second Nutti on considering temporary use of a cane if it'll help. Propelling oneself off the larger bits of furniture works in my home mostly because of the family tendency to over-furnish.

Thanks for your well wishes. I used a cane the first day but since have made do holding on to the back of chairs, and couches but when I go outside I will have a trusty cane in my hand to balance. I suffer from vertigo periodically and I think I have unintentionally place furniture where it serves a double purpose--its original purpose and distance just so far apart to use as a prop to hold on to--helpful in this situation too. LOL

I'll be going back to the chiropractor this evening will give you an update.

Peggi

Peggi -

I'm sorry to hear you're in such pain. I don't have back problems, so I'm unable to offer advice. I realize how many muscles that we do take for granted though. I was "spayed" ... love that term, a few years ago. Since my stomach muscles were cut I've noticed a huge difference in how difficult it is to get up and down.

Susanne

Peggi, I have had problems with periodic back pain ever since doing something "interesting" to it with a hula hoop nearly 50 years ago. I have had enormous relief from a rib belt when it gets really, really bad. When it's not bad an excercise I use is to lie on my back on the floor with my feet flat & knees bent & press the lumbar part of my spine (the "small" of my back) against the floor & hold for a 5-count. I can do about ten repeats and this seems to help.

Firm-seated chairs are good and raising with your arms is great. To turn over in bed (the physical therapist taught me this after my wreck) you grab the side of the bed or a hunk of bottom sheet, cross the leg you will want to have on top after you've turned, and pull with your hands while you push with that foot. It also helps me to sleep with a pillow between my knees.

BTW I had my first-ever bone-density test with my annual mammogram this year, and in spite of all my dairy & weight-bearing exercise I have beginning thinning of the bone mass of the femoral neck (the upper part of the thigh bone that fits into the hip-socket); femoral fractures are the #1 cause of osteoporosis-induced falls and the avarage life-expectancy after such a fall is 3 years.

I'm really a nut-case on the subject of health maintenance (as those of you who have come to know me a little bit are aware), and especially on regular monthly breast self-examinations & osteoporosis prevention.

Again thank you all for your advice and well wishes. My chiropractor said that my main problem is from stretching all the muscles (something about 7 layers in the affected area) and that to keep up with the ice packs to reduce swelling and heat to make it more comfortable. He had to do some adjustments but said it wasn't near as out of align as it was so by Monday I ought to be able to go back to work but that it may take another week for the muscles to get completely healed.

So I still playing musical chairs for the next few days, I can't stay in any one position for to long--so I alternate sitting, standing and lying.

Peggi

I have fallen before and I think that is how I hurt my back. If I sit for long periods of time, I can bet dollars to doughnuts on being VERY stiff in the morning...and it takes about 20-30 minutes to get going....Chris has the same problem. I use hot, hot showers, then cold, cold water to relax the muscles and cool down. it helps alot. my cat sleeps in the small of my back or the back of my legs.

Oh, Peggi, I feel for you darlin'!! I'm just finishing up physiotherapy for my back and believe me, I can really relate!

I had surgery about six years ago which helped immensely, but every now and then I'll do something stupid to injure it again. I can't stress enough to do stomach exercises which will help the back. Any time you do something think about holding in those muscles. Makes a world of difference.

I got a cold last week and am suffering from vertigo along with it. Seems like I get a really bad bout of it any time I have a cold and it lasts for one to two weeks. Sure makes life interesting!

Get better soon and suck in those stomach muscles!!

Oh Dear Peggie,

I sure hope you are feeling better soon. But with disks... that can take some time if not forever. If it is disks you really should be seen by a doctor.

Always remember to ice an injury the first 24 hours. After that heat to help relieve pain. The icy hot patches and even the moist heat packs that you can warm up and put on. You will need to also take anti inflamatoriers. The ibuprophen (Advil) or Motrin.

If you have access to a walker... Use it. That way you will have something stable to walk with and it will help you get up and down in chairs. A walker will also help you walk more normal since you have some support, thus not making you cause more injury to yourself.

My heart goes out to you and I sure hope you heal soon. I'm keeping you in my prayers!

I'm feeling much better and am getting around better. I'm going to try to drive to work tomorrow. Thank you all for your advice and well wishes. I've been taking advil and using a moist heating pad and times between have lessen considerably.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow having to walk up and down a flight of stairs, or I may just work in our conference room that is downstairs.

Peggi

:p Peggi, so sorry to hear about your back.

i have back problems all the time, it hurts constantly, and i find myself at the chiropracters often.

but one little trick i have found, since pillows are so big, and my husbands weight beside me in the bed seems to cause me to lean to one side, and that puts a strain on my back , i roll up a little fleese throw that i have, and put it next to me just slightly , slightly under my arm, and side, and it keeps me from trying to roll in that direction, and dosn't put as much of a strain on my back, i do this every night , even my good nights, it helps me to sleep better, you will be surprised at the difference.

hope you get better soon. :)

Peggi

Ouch! sorry to hear .

I have a heating pad that you can make fast an it works great.

take and make a pouch 7" x 12" out of cotton fabric

make a outer pouch of the same size use fleece fabric

I put a zipper in for easy laundrying

now to the cotton pouch put in 1# of rice and sew up.

you now have a bag that you can mricowave and place any where you have the need for heat, place it in the fleece one on to keep it clean . Do not get the rice wet.I have also made these for gifts they work great here is a pome that I attch with them as gift.here is a pome that goes with it

Take my cover off.heat me it the mricowave (2-3 min.) Place me on a ache.I'll warm it up for hours and make you feel great. I'm good for colds I give a moist heat.Place me over the eyes and soon you'll begin to breath. I'm good on cold nights warm me up place me on the feet I'll soon give a cuddly feeling to make you fall asleep.

to wash me take my cover off and toss it in the wash, dry me then i'll be compleat.

Caution: outer cover contains metal do not mricowave Do not wash inner bag

lavender and euealypus sacks can be placed in for refreshing feeling

Brenda I am so sorry to hear that you suffer constantly with your back, you have my complete sympathy. I'm still hoping mine is short term and won't stay with me forever, but at 53 who knows every year there seems to be a new ache that stays around.

And Donnalee thank you so much for the pattern for your heating pad. I have a similar one that I bought that can be place in the microwave or the freezer, and it has come in very handy. But I going to print out your pattern and poem so when this one wears out I know how to replace it.

I'm lucky in that we have one of those select comfort beds and I can pump it up to make it very firm or soften it has the needs a rises. Hubby leaves real early and I pump up his side so I won't roll.

Back is much better today, made a whole day a work without any problems, even though back is tired and had to move around to keep it from locking up. Co-workers were wonderful in helping me with stairs and swapping chairs to make me more comfortable. They actually seemed to have missed me. LOL

Peggi

I feel so sorry for you!! My friends' husband suffers from lower back pain and I hate to see him suffer. I have seen it bring tears to his eyes. :)

I hope the pain meds help you feel better soon and heat & ice packs can make things more tolerable.

Take it easy dear!

Hi Peggi,

As usual I'm reading everything late. I sure hope your back feels better soon. My back got messed up in a car accident but not as bad you describe. I have to agree with most everything I've read here (as I've used most of them too) anti-inflamatories can be my best friend when I sleep wrong or get too tense - a cane is a wonderful thing! - don't be afraid to use it. And don't over do it trying to do too much at work too soon. (not that you would but I'm notorious for thinking I know better than my doctor.. and I DON"T :) ugh - learned that the hard way heh)

Hope the back is feeling good soon

<hugs>

-David