Also Doing a Beacon....

jditter

Hi Everyone:

I, too, am in the process of doing a Beacon Hill. I am sorry I have not been able to get on sooner to post messages. But I will start posting my progress and so forth. I have learned a lot from you all. I have my first question...I have got paint on my plastic windows and can't get it off. I tried "goof-off" and it made it so much worse. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jennifer :)

Hi Jennifer and welcome, if you used a latex paint, then simply running water over it would clean it up but if it's an oil based paint then I'm not sure what you would use. Maybe someone else here would be better able to advice you on that.

Good luck with your building of this house, it's a beauty. Can't wait to see your progress.

Wendy

oy vey!

why they tell you to put the windows on first is beyond meeeee!

getting paint on the windows is one of the main reasons I do not do it untill done.

as for how to get them clean once you do it??? dunno I had to make new window from transperencies.(wal-mart)

now they do not go in untill I am all done decorating inside and out.

if you find a good solution PLLLzzzzz post it!

hey!

WELCOME to the forum!!

glad to have ya here and looking forward to seeing your progress photos.

nutti :)

Welcome to the Community Jennifer!

is this house already assembled? If not why not purchase new windows from Greenleaf? The plastic windows can be very hard to clean. I think Linda used warm water with dish soap and let it sit (don't know how long) Oh Linda Dear......Where are you???

:)

The biggest problem with removing paint is that solvents will do a number on the acetate. You could try warm water with a little dish detergent & when it has soaked a bit try loosening the paint GENTLY with a toothpick. If all else fails, as Tracy mentioned, you can order new windows from Greenleaf.

I have made windows from flat acetate packing material, too.

flat acetate packing material, too.

and this is the best time to find this stuff in large sizes.

I always keep my daughters from her make-up gift sets that come out this time of yr. this yr I found a nice one with its own bag and the box is nice and large.

all I saw when she showed it to me was "hmmm thats alot of windows!"

but reording them from Greenleaf shouldnt be a problem either.

let us know how it turns out?

nutti :)

Thanks for all the advice. Boy, you guys are fast. That's awesome. I will try water first, if that fails, I will try paint thinner. The windows are already in so getting them out may be difficult. I'll let you know how the suggestions worked out. Thanks again, Jen

I will try paint thinner.

Jen, first try the paint thinner on one of the acetate scraps to make sure it won't react chemically with the acetate to create acid etching that will irreparably "cloud" your acetate & ruin it :o :(:D

Welcome jditter! :D I'm wondering if a bit of nail polish remover would help if it's oil based paint? Worth a try! If it's latex, warm water with a bit of detergent should get it off (as everyone has already suggested).

Good Luck!!

Welcome Jennifer! I look forward to seeing pix.

In regard to the windows, whenever I smack them with my paint brush, I tend to let them dry and then gently, VERY gently, scratch the paint off using my finger nail. However, if you're not careful, you can scratch the window. If it's a water based paint (and your paint can should say what kind of paint it is), then you can take a washcloth, dampen one end of it and put a little soap on (usually bar soap, because some dish soaps contain abrasives) the end that you wet and gently wash the window.

If it's an oil based paint, I don't know. My thought would be to take a Q-tip, dip it into nail polish remover, and touch the Q-tip to the paint. HOWEVER, I have never done this, so I don't know if it will or if it will react with the acetate in the windows.

I used nail polish remover to get paint off stain, and I tried it on my windows and they did cloud over, but it may not have been the only contributing factor. I put them in first cause I didn't know better and was constantly wiping paint or stain off of them. That is the one thing I wish I had taken out and left till last cause all but my dormer windows are cloudy. My house story is that it is an older home and has weathered many storms LOL. So try the water and soap first.

Peggi

Thanks everyone for their advice. I ended up using a q-tip and nail polish remover and that worked perfectly. Some clouding but very little, ended up better than the paint being there. :D

Does anyone know where I can get a window that is 5 3/4 w x 5 1/2 h?

I really messed up my big front window and need another one to install. I bought one window but it's too small. It's tall enough to work but there is a big space on each side and I have no idea how to fix it. The wallpaper is already glued on.

Boy, I sure do have a lot more to learn. :o

Thanks,

Jen

I really messed up my big front window and need another one to install. I bought one window but it's too small. It's tall enough to work but there is a big space on each side and I have no idea how to fix it. The wallpaper is already glued on.

Jen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you show us a picture Jen? I can't quite figure what it is you're needing, so a picture would help. Or pictures, if you're anything like me (everybody knows I can't take "a" picture, LOL!) ...