shingles required for Beacon Hill?

shelbylominac

Hello- does anyone happen to know the approximate number of shingles included with the Beacon Hill kit? The reason I am asking is that I would like to use the slate peel and stick shingles instead and am wondering about how many to order-any help would be greatly appreciated :D -Shelby

Hi Shelby, I used the peel and stick tiles on my Jefferson and bought two bags, one containing 500 and one containing 400 to keep the shipping cost down. I had 8 pieces left over when I was finished. Of course you have to consider some waste at corners. I've also built the Beacon Hill and I'm almost positive you wouldn't need that many. But to be on the safe side, if it were me, I would purchase two bags.

Good luck on your building of this beautiful dollhouse.

Welcome Shelby! My hubby finished shingling the Beacon Hill about three months ago and I believe we used about 500 shingles. Hope that helps! :D

Sure hope you're going to be sharing pictures with us! Would love to see your progress!! :o

Thanks for the replies! I'm getting this kit for Christmas and will be building for my 8-month old. I know, a little early, but I figure I can have it done by the time she's ready for it :D Can anyone recommend some tools to get started building with? I am familiar with your basic tools since I do a lot of arts and crafts, but I'm wondering about more specialized things that are particularly useful. Also, what do most people use to prime and paint with t get the best results? -Shelby

Shelby, use your search feature, we have all sorts of lists of suggested tools; stains, sealers, primers, discussions of what to do before vs after assembly, etc. Basically it's a matter of taste & what works best for you. I use clear sanding sealer (over stain, too; I stain before sealing what I know I'll want stained) and I use carpenter's wood glue & a heavy-duty Stanley stapler & Stanley utility knife. I staple the piece of sandpaper that comes with the kit onto my sanding block. I have a little benchtop vise and you cannot have too many clamps. I also use a Dremel for just about anything you can use a Dremel for.