Hi from a first timer

Jeff Church

:) Welcome from another newbie that's originally from NC, now living in TX and proud of both.

U said you've taught at a university there, would that be ApState in Boone? Noted that was where you live. I am impressed that you are custom building a dollhouse...that is eventually my dream.

I want to eventually build the house that my grandmother lives in in Historic Oakwood, Raleigh, NC. House was built in 1876. Like everyone else, I would love to see pics and story of your progress.

Terri

Yes, was teaching in technology at Appstate I now do faculty development there. I wouldn't be impressed until I actually build the house even then the jury is still out :lol: .

I don't know about "golden proportion", but my maternal grandmother's best friend married into a wealthy family and their townhouse had 12' ceilings on the ground floor, 10' ceilings on the second (except for the room above the port cochere) and about 8' on the third floor (where the children's rooms & nursery were).

I like the golden mean theory but I am very interested in your grandmother's friends house. My wife put forth a theory that older houses could have been built like that for real. I have done a lot of architecture and have never come across any mention of this. I will have to do more research before I draw up my plans. It is funny most build packs for historic houses don't include ceiling height. Thank you so much for this at least now I know I'm not hutting for ghost. I will post when I find something definitive.

ps. my wife loves that she was right about this. lol

It may have had something to do with the lower ceilinged rooms being easier to keep warm, this was in Shaker Heights, and I remember the third floor bathroom was where DGM's friend kept her pet canaries (she had a humongous cage in the window over the bathtub with about 20 canaries in it, and if their cover came off the cage they woke us up singing so loud!) It was always an interesting place to visit when I was growing up & spending part of the summer with my grandparents. Eventually the university bought all those old homes and turned them into frat houses in the late '50s, and they were torn down later.