12/21/05 Addiction

Minis On The Edge

Reading some of the stories here are touching.

I knew long ago that I was addicted......especially this past October, when I gave away the Buttercup that was just sitting in the studio......my mother had seen it, and went wild over it. So I surprised her and gave it to her for her birthday. She now has it filled with little minis she has collected....

The Open Dollhouse party was a great idea. Amanda, her father and I redid my old dollhouse during the month before her birthday, with a special trip to buy shingles, and paint supplies. Did I mention she picked princess pink to repaint that particular house with? :lol: Not many children came to the party, which was really sad considering all the work that went into it.... :) it is a real downer nowadays, but one thing I learned about small children is that people are not willing to come to a child's party unless it is along with some sort of entertainment--like, a skating party, a pizza party, bowling, etc. at least, I hasten to add, the children and their parents who were invited to a cookout and the open dollhouse party. This was really disappointing and swore me off of parties for children..but she still had a great birthday that year.

I was thinking of having a open dollhouse party myself when Olde Shelby Cottage was finished, and just invite friends with the same mini passion! :lol: :D

I recently did a roombox for a friends' shower gift, who I grew up with. His wife was having their second child, (this was stressful as they had just lost their first child last year when he was born--) and since they were having a girl, I coordinated the colors of the nursery roombox with the items that she had picked out for the nursery. I also included a picture from their wedding which included her three children from a previous marriage, and everyone was included, it really made it sweet for her. I found a Heidi Ott baby that looked like my friend Jearl I grew up with, and they were blown away. It has me hooked to give roomboxes or dollhouses now as presents.

when I built my first house all of my friends and familywere thinking your doing what? now they come to look at everything I have going on.

I have gifted a few friends with dollhouses or card scenes and Im telling you they are always so excited.

I think in every woman there is a part who longs for the childhood dollhouse they didnt have as a child or was gave away for more grown up toys.

there is something about a miniature scene that fills us with wonder.

nutti :)

How long did it take before you "knew" you were addicted to miniatures?

I probably "knew" about the time that I was creating an entire complex civilization of Fisher Price people, circa age 10. I just gradually changed what I collected in the way of miniatures.

Suzanne, I think an Open Dollhouse party is like an Open House -- you just invite people over to feed them snacks and have them look around at the house. Gifts are optional, though they'd be for the house if any were given.

;) Exactly! Since she received alot of that Fisher Price furniture for her birthday, to start her out, since she was young, we wanted the children to come and mainly just play, and have fun...if they wished to bring a gift, then it would have been dollhouse related, and relatively inexpensive from Walmart, or Target. Sort of like an Open House,, where you give gifts that are house related. I was trying to think of being budgety, for the children's parents, and also not demanding. Amanda was more interested in having her friends over to play with than actually receiving gifts.

Now that's a sign of addiction, planning a party around your dollhouse! :D

• 4 weeks later...