Hi there: new member building a Lily

Hello everyone,

I am attempting my first house as an adult. I fell in love with miniatures as a child, and had indulgent parents who allowed me to try the hobby. After several false starts (including houses trashed by my little brother's penchant for playing hockey in my parents' basement; and, sadly, a general lack of talent on my part), I became discouraged. I've finally come back to try again, and can't wait to get started! (Hopefully, I'll actually get the walls to meet up this time!)

Kind regards,

Rebecca

Hello Rebecca! :)

The Lily is a great house! I don't have one, but it has recently been "calling." You've found a whole group of people ready to cheer you on and guide you when you hit a snag or two! Happy to have you with us!

Hello yourself, Rebecca, and welcome to the "little" family here! Some of the building team have built the Lily, so their blogs are here? to help you. Further, it was Peggi's first build.

"Talent" is a funny thing, IMO it's a seed that develops into whatever we need by the way we nurture it & permit it to grow. The most important thing is to take your time, and if you don't understand something in the instructions, or if the house asks you to make it something you don't have a clue about & can't find the answer with the "Search", step right up & ask questions. There are no stupid questions (I tend to stomp on people for using the terms "stupid", "dumb", etc with regard to their questions; obviously if you can't think of an answer it's important! If the answer seems simple or obvious after you get it, it's because other, fresher eyes have looked at it, not because you couldn't have figured it out in time).

The Lily is a gorgeous house when built (I've laid eyes on Peggi's and she did an outstanding job, and I'm sure you will, too). I have the kit in my stash, patiently awaiting its turn and nagging me it wants to become a Tuscan villa. Has yours begun to speak to you yet?

Hello and welcome! Holly is right--the Lily was my first build and I can still remember opening the box and thinking "What have I got myself into". But decided to go step by step from the instructions and with the help of the members here ended up enjoying the process so much have built 4 more and have kits waiting in the wings.

Lots of construction photos are in the team blog, but if you need more I may have more I can share.

Hello Rebecca, Welcome to the forum!!!

I'm also in Massachusetts. On Marthas Vineyard. I too am working on my first house, the Tennyson. pics in my gallery.

This is a great forum with a bunch of really nice people to share your new hobby with. The folks here are so helpful, so when you are stuck or just have a question, post it and someone will give you a hand.

The talent and creativity is outstanding here. I can sit and browse galleries all day long.

Good luck w/ your Lily, we can't wait to see your progress. (hoping you have a digicam).

Michelle

Hi Carrie,

I am in Somerville! Thank you for the welcome, and sending good wishes that you made it through Monday's storm unscathed!

Hi Rebecca,

I am very lucky to have a husband who allows me to not work full time so I usually do not have to go out in the bad weather. I got to spend Monday in my warm house relaxing and working on dollhouses. I love snow days!! I hope you survived it well.

Try to stay warm this week. It sounds like it will be awful!!