Hello

carmel

Hello, Sheila, and welcome to the community!

Which house kit do you have? Is it wood or MDF?

Many of us use regular house paint on our dollhouses. Personally, I use leftovers from our real house as much as possible. Satin finish works well for the outside of the dollhouse. Flat white works well as an interior primer under wallpaper as well as colored paint.

Some people use craft acrylics for details. Some people use the colored acrylics to tint white water-base paint for custome colors.

If you use a flat/matte color and later want to give it a sheen or gloss, you can paint over it with matte or glossy finish Modge Podge.

Hope that gets you started! :lol:

Welcome to the forum Sheila, we're glad you decided to join in the fun! you can use the "Search" feature to find the various threads discussing paints. I prefer anything that's soap & water clean-up because it's easier on the brushes. I also use interior latex paint by preference.

Which kit do you have? If you check out the blogs you might find that someone who has built it has step-by-step description of what & how they did it. If you don't find it yo cn always ask questions here.

When you've made five posts you can make an album in the Gallery to post pictures of your build to share with us.

If the semi-gloss isn't giving you enough sheen, try painting over it with a coat of glossy Modge Podge.

I try to steer away from high gloss finishes because they tend to emphasize the irregularities in the wood (especially if I haven't been diligent sanding the pieces). Somehow the smoother satin finishes seem to me to translate more comfortably into dollhouse scale.

It's a personal thing, but then working in miniatures is a very personal art form. :lol:

Welcome to the group Sheila! I use satin latex house paint on my outsides, with a combination of the same paint and acrylic craft paints inside. I use acrylic craft paints for most of my colored trim as well. I base my decision on how much paint of that color I am going to use

Welcome!

oooo your going to have so much fun!

I gave my Laurel away before I got to build it but it is really a nice house!

I look forward to seeing how you do yours!

so glad you found us and joined in on our fun!

nutti :lol:

Hi Sheila and welcome. I agree that it is a personal choice on the paint. For me, if I am doing a house with a lot of colors, I just go with the craft paint, even on larger areas. I did a Glencroft with stucco walls and for that I used some leftover interior paint I had and added craft sand to it. I do use a primer, but it has been what I had from a RL kitchen makeover. Good luck with your build and have fun!!

Thanks for making me feel at home and I appreciate all of you for taking a moment to welcome me . That means alot. The colors will be the same colors that they advertised on the house.

Again thanks and youu guys are being added as friends if you don't mind.