I know nothing ...

Hi folks,

Been browsing the forum and this looks like a friendly and helpful place so I thought I'd stick my head in the door.

About a year ago my sister (40-ish) was diagnosed with a debilitating disease. She's wanted a doll house since she was a little girl so this Christmas the family chipped in and bought one for her. We'd also like to get whatever it takes to begin work on it. I can overhaul cars and motorcycles and frame a house (full size) but I've gotta admit ... I'm out of my element with this doll house project.

I live in a different state from my sister but I'll be visiting her in a couple of weeks and I'd like to get her project area setup (now that all the trappings of Christmas have been put away) to begin work on the doll house. I'll be visiting this forum as much as I can over the next couple of weeks to try and get as much information as I can before going to visit. As with any site that provides an abundance of information, just trying to find a starting place can be a little intimidating. I'd appreciate it if anyone could provide any pointers to the best way to start.

For one thing, I know she's going to need some modeling tools but I don't know what to look for in a "starter set" so information about that would be helpful. I'm assuming a table, an X-acto knife, good lighting and a magnifying glass will be a good place to start. ;) Beyond that, I haven't a clue.

I'll try to get her on the forum eventually but often her strength doesn't last long so she may spend most of her energy working on the house rather than setting at the computer. I'll try to document progress for her so that you can see how it's coming along once we can get it going.

Sorry for the long intro. BTW, if any of you would like any tips on how to get setup to overhaul your Harley-Davidson Softtail, I'm your guy. :)

cheers,

Gary

Welcome to the forum !!! You'll need good quality wood glue, masking tape, sand-paper, paint, and a small hammer is always useful too. You're right about the exacto, have a few extra sharp blades handy. A table is a must. A few clamps for cranky pieces will save you alot of aggravation. The rest is pretty much just luxury items. It can all be done with these basic tools. If you're buildind a kit that requires nails, something other than Greenleaf types, you'll need tiny 1/2 inch nails, and a drill and tiny bits will be useful. You didn't say what kind of house kit you got? Keep us posted, and you're an awesome brother to do this for your sister!

First of all, welcome to the forum "family", Gary. Second, {{{BIG HUGS}}} for being such a great brother! Here's one post for proceeding with the build. Here's another. Finally I've also posted my suggested tool list a time or two. I have far better success using a Stanley utility knife/ boxcuter with retractable blade instead of a craft knife. Whichever she uses you sister cannot have too many sharp new blades for it, nothing slices off body parts like a blade that's beginning to go dull.

I didn't check out those links but I suspect they also tell you NOT to use hot glue. There are several different wood glues that work well..but hot glue for anything but maybe holding something in place until you glue it "properly", or maybe to hold on shingles..is a bad idea.

We'll all be really interested to find out what kind of house you're building! :)

Welcome Gary,

how sweet of you to do this for your sis, my little brother drove half the country with me to buy my dollhouse,

(and that the Netherlands is not that big a country does not count, do you agree?)

Thanks, eff, I don't recall if I mentioned this simple rule in any of my posts I referenced (I do believe I mentioned a link to Poor Pitiful Pearl & her "before" pictures with regards to not using hot glue!), but it is impossible to have too many clamps! Especially if your sister's condition is occasionally debilitating. For that reason a Dremel Stylus with extra sanding sleeves to fit it (or a separate Dremel sander) might be an excellent offering for her next gift, whatever occasion that might be.

In fact, you can doo a "search" on power tools to get a hint of what some of us (who admittedly build more than one house, did anyone mention how addictive this hobby becomes? I thought not...) use & enjoy.

Hi and :welcome: What a wonderful brother you are. You have come to the right place. Any questions you have about a build will be answered here. The people here are great with their help. Good luck to you and your sister.

Hi Gary, welcome to the community!

Just three things to add ...

1) lots of masking or painter's tape for dry fitting pieces and for use as clamps while the glue dries

2) don't obsess over the hammer. I have a small tack hammer at hand and rarely use it except for helping reluctant tabs slide into smallish slots. But a little sandpaper will cure that problem with less force. :welcome:

3) and if you go the power tool route, be sure your sis has an adequate supply of face masks as well as good quality safety goggles. Inhaling sawdust isn't going to help her condition, and those little drum sanders produce it by the bucketful. :wave:

WELCOME!

so glad you found us!

I am curious as to which house yall decided on?

and KUDOS to you and the rest of the family for making this happen for yer sis!

please do have her join our madcap,zany forum!

all are welcome.

I look forward to hearing about your progress!

nutti :welcome:

Welcome to the forum.

One thing that I find helpful is to keep a box of wipees handy--saves getting up and washing glue/dust etc off of hands and also proves helpful in stopping in paint/glue runs.

A package of emory boards from the dollar store come in handy also for those small places to sand.

Your sister is very fortunate to have family who loves her.

I use a variety of glues depending on what I am gluing - basic elmers white and yellow (carpenter's glue) or similar, duco cement or the like, and tacky glue and clear glues that are jelly like. Not all of them are essential but white/yellow are a must. Good luck --- if you and your sister are like many of us, building dollhouses could become a passion!

Welcome to the forum, Gary! :p You are a thoughtful brother, and I'm sure your sister is very happy with such great family support. I hope she will feel like joining us from time to time, as this forum can offer her friendship, good humour and a very comforting support system - not to mention all the helpful advice on building, decorating and furnishing her dollhouse!