Eye candy

Wolfie

My orchid plant is blooming it's head off, and we couldn't resist taking a picture of it this morning against the background of yesterday's and the day before and the day before that....ad naseum - to show it off! When the picture was taken it was 10 below 0 outside.....but warm and toasty inside..... I wish my other orchard was in bloom as it is a magnificant white one with hints of rose, pink and yellow on it.

Spring in my heart? Nope! I need spring in my step! LOL Thanks for looking. They are lovely and so delicate yet so very tough too! These flowers last for months on their spikes!

I use fir bark. I have a cubic foot of it from Charley's Greenhouse in Washington. I also use orchid food heavily diluted each time I water is is twice a week since they are near a heat source. They are in humidity trays on grids. The phals like to be cool at night and warm during the day so this is not a problem here. They were out on the front deck all summer from June 15th on. Brought back in September 1st. When we bought it it had blooms on it, but if you know orchids they are very bright in the beginning and then little by little they fade out until they fall off their stems. The flowers this one had were almost pure white when they fell. I want cattalya next. I saw an absolutely stunning one in rose/magenta/and pale peach with a fragrence to die for. Beautiful flowers. Cattalya's are the prom type orchids, the ones that you used to get on Easter....remember? The flower of romance.....the queen of orchids. They are magnificant!

Gina I like the catts too but I don't grow them now because of not enough light.

I do grow phals and paphs though.

Fortunately the phals are my favorites.

After my phal flowers dry up, I cut off the spike just above a node and often gat a second spike of flowers that way.

Sort of a bonus!

they're pretty tough plants. We mainly have phals, but a few cymbidums and paphs sprinkled in. One of our favorites is (can't remember which type) nicknamed "Squid Orchid" (the flowers really do look like them) and is almost always in bloom.

Thanks for sharing, Wolfie! Wish we had a bit of your snow over here.

Yours is just gorgeous.

I always kill mine.

I feel your pain! I have black thumbs - as opposed to the beautifully green thumbs of my mother! All flowers and plant thrive under her care. They all die if left with me. :)