12/27/05 Riddle

Minis On The Edge

The ancient people of Egypt, Greece and the Near Eastall had legends about many imaginary creatures with human heads and animal like bodies. These people built statues of these creatures called sphinxes, to guard the temples & tombs.

The Spinx in greek mothology had the head of a Woman and the body of a lion. She live on a high mountain in Thebes and stopped any and all travelers trying to pass her by and asked them a riddle.

The Question Of The Day is What was the Riddle of the Sphinx? What did this sphinx do to those who could not answer the riddle? Please do NOT give the answer of the riddle.

Good on you, David! You must have had to plod through Oedipus rex, too! He was the smartie who guessed the Sphinx's riddle & went on to murder his father & marry his mother (one step closer to Hamlet!) and then had his eyes put out & spent his final days being led about by a bratty kid.

LOL Holly,

Nope - even though I love greek and roman stories - I never read Oedipus Rex.. but I did see the Sphinx's riddle in a movie... I think it was the Never Ending Story. Didn't poor ol rex put out his own eyes with his wife's broach or some kind of pin that she was wearing when she hanged herself? heheh - man and I used to think soap operas were a modern invention :D

-David

The answer to the sphinx's riddle is MAN. In infancy he crawls on all fours, in the prime of life he walks (if healthy & able) on two legs, and in the decrepitude of old age he hobbles with a cane.

Now I hope I don't kill my father, marry my mother & poke out my eyes :D ;)

I loved that movie too! I asked hubby the riddle and he knew the answer right away (of course)! My walking encyclopedia!! :D

We went and saw 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' yesterday. It was totally awesome!! Everyone clapped at the end (which is funny because it's not like the actors know you're clapping) Oh well, makes you feel good anyway! I highly recommend this movie!!

I discovered the Narnian chronicles as a young adult (& huge CS Lewis fan) and read them to my sons & let them read my set to rags. Lewis explained Christianity without being "preachy" or necessarily sectarian. He & JRR Tolkien were best friends and The Lord of the Rings was being written & published in a similar time frame to the Chronicles.

Hubby and I are huge CS Lewis fans... we were nervous about the movie (it's soooo hard to translate books to movies), but had to go...

Just saw it and have to say, the makers did an excellent job -- no, it's not the book, but it's an excellent interpretation. Highly recommend. :D

I love C.S. Lewis' books. My favourite is Mere Christianity. My husband bought me a couple of his other books for Christmas this year. Haven't read Chronicles of Narnia since I was a child. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

Susanne

The Pilgrim's Regress was an interesting read, one of my earliest favorite books that I received as a gift was John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress; if you have rad it, it makes Lewis' book more interesting.

I also enjoyed The Screwtape Letters, I think a mini vignette of Uncle Screwtape & young Wormwood would be cool.

Books are my favourite gifts too! This year Ray bought me C.S. Lewis - The Weight of Glory - and - The Great Divorce.

I'd love to read the complete Screwtape Letters. So far I've just read excerpts from a compilation of Devotionals from C.S. Lewis books.

Holly, you're right that it would be fun to do a vignette of Uncle Screwtape and Wormwood!

Susanne