I have a hard decision to make

heidiiiii

It looks like it is about time to have Tyson put down. He is 15-16 yrs old and he isnt doing so well lately. He has cataracs, lost a bit of weight, and not moving around as well as he used to. His bladder facilties are diminishing too.

He doesnt even bark when the mailman comes to the porch to deliver the mail.

I do not want him to suffer any longer but it is going to kill Chelsea and Natalie. This is our last dog. He has been a great friend for the many years that we have had him. But he is a ghost of his former self now.

I am not one to put down an animal just because they are old. I have come to realization that it is time for him to pass on and be free.

Now i have to discuss it with the family. It is not like they dont already notice but kids tend to ignore the obvious.

Think of me this weekend while I break the news...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heidi, I feel for the hard decision you've had to make, but sometimes it is the right decision. Your girls will understand, but be ready with big hugs and sympathy.

Is he in pain,Heidii?

My feeling is that just because an animal is not as lively as it once was is no reason to have it put down.

As for blindness, as long as the animal is in the house they can get along well.

I have had two blind dogs both did very well in the house.

My little dog,LoraOprah, no longer barks when someone comes to the door either but she fine.

Sorry to hear about this heidi, but it's a good thing you are there for him to help him ease his suffering and that you can recognize when his time comes.

My ex mother in law had an older dog taht was peeing and pooing everywhere, she kept dropping teeth on the floor, was blind, could barely walk, was so thin and would shiver all the time cuz she had no body fat left...you could tell the dog was miserable. I was living with my then future in laws at the time and i finally just said "i think it's time" (to put the dog down)...she said that she knew that it was but she coiuldn't do it and couldn't make the decision so i offered to take the dog to the vet and have her put down. My ex MIL let me do it. So i did. I felt soooo bad for the dog but i also felt bad for the ex MIL because the dog was just a part of her life since a puppy and she just could not make that decision. She was grateful to me for helping her not have to make the decision on her own or deal with doing it.

It's always a difficult choice to make Heidii...we've add had to make that choice at one time or another. there are no words of wisdom I can offer..... When the time comes for Princess (who is now 9) it will be terrible as she is Doug's little girl always. He will be heartbroken....

Oh Heidi, I'm so sorry for what you & your family are going to have to go through. This has got to be the hardest thing any family with a furbaby has to do. But if he's in any pain, then I'm glad for him that he has a family that will take care of his need when he can't.

Big hugs,

Lisa

It is a really tough decision to make. Been there, done that. It never gets any easier. Sometimes it just takes a sad incident to make yourself do it (like my dalmation who refused food for 3 days and was getting weak, and the cocker whos legs just gave out one morning and was dragging himself around the house) Best wishes to you.

I am thinking of you and the rest of the family as well Heidi, it is one of the toughest decision to make for sure but then again it is also one of those questions you have to struggle with when living with animals in your family.

Sending hugs and thoughts your way!

:clap:

He is not voicing any pain but I can tell. He wont come upstairs anymore, he sleeps on a dog bed on the floor instead of the couch, has a hard time climbing up the lip to come in from outside. He is sleeping all the time, he shivers too.

I told Fred last night and he just said "I know." I have been thru this numerous times before but it never gets easy.

He is my Roony. My Tysa-Toony. This is going to be a hard one for me. When we got him, he snapped and he was scared. He was food territorial and he wasnt house broken. He would steal food if you gave him a second chance. I worked with him for years and got him to trust us and love us. I do not think I will be able to do this one. Fred will have to. I am not able.

Tyson is my buddy. I cannot let my friend suffer anymore. I think we will make arrangements this week with the vet.

Thank you all.

You want to hear a sick thing though. I told my friend about it. She is the one who got us in contact with getting Tyson. She is the one with the two chihuahuas. She said she was sorry..etc. etc. etc. Then she said "You will be able to heal your wounds when you take the two dogs" "I will give you time before I bring them over.. WT&???? Someone can rot in h.e. double hockey sticks before that ever happens!

Oh Heidi, I'm so sorry! I was just in your shoes and it's a terrible decision to have to make. If you remember Shadow's story, he made a last ditch rally to stick around before he crossed over peacefully and I am still greatful for the chance to have just a little while longer. Give Tyson extra love and attention for the time being. My heart is breaking for you and I you will be in my thoughts. {{{Hugs}}}

Oh we are making the most of him. He is more of a king then he was before..and that is saying alot. He is eating better then Fred. LOL Boiled carrots and potatoes mixed in with his dog food that has been warmed in the microwave. LOL This is not his usual fare. He loves veggies. I have been cooking all of his favorites that he used to love munching on raw and cooking them up for him.

We are hoping that he doesnt suffer and just goes gently into that long goodnight. My wish is to wake up in the morning and see he has passed peacfully on his dog bed with tricolor afghan.

I am making sure to watch and see if he needs to be taken to the vet..but we will just keep him happy and comfortable. Like his own little hospice.

I'm so sorry. Having to deal with this is never ever easy. I've had to do it too many times.

As for your "friend". Sometimes people can be SO insensitive. I'm surprised that sort of comment came from someone who has pets, though...usually I'll hear something like, "...well, it's JUST a CAT (put your pet species here)." No it's not. It's my furkid, a member of the family, we've shared our lives, homes, bed with it..it's not "just" anything.

Anyway. Take care. Sounds like you're babying him...I also hope he just doesn't wake up one day. Take care.

As for your "friend". Sometimes people can be SO insensitive. I'm surprised that sort of comment came from someone who has pets, though...usually I'll hear something like, "...well, it's JUST a CAT (put your pet species here)." No it's not. It's my furkid, a member of the family, we've shared our lives, homes, bed with it..it's not "just" anything.

I am so angry with her I could spit! Good thing I have a therapy session tomorrow. I have to work this out because her Dd`s baby shower is on Saturday.

She is looking at HER bottom line. The dogs are messing in her house and she is tired of cleaning it up...so she figures since Tyson has been tinkling for years, i wouldnt mind shoveling some more. I do mind. I see she hasnt changed a bit with age. She is a friend but I treat her like a serpent. I keep an eye on her but not too close.

Thank you Ann, I am hoping that too.

Oh Heidi, I really feel for you and the family. Little Tyson is lucky to have a loving family who will look out for his best interests, rather than their own. This is the hardest part of being a pet guardian. (Making that decision for them.) Hugs to you all, and an extra snuggle for Tyson.

I could not watch it anymore. Fred, Natalie and I took Tyson to the vet this morning. We all bawled our eyes out but we know he is better off.

I have had this weighing on me since this weekend and I finally have a calm sense of relief. Now I have to hope the cable bill check doesnt bounce. I really do not care right now. I will just take care of it on Friday.

Thank you for all your thoughts and words.

HEIDI, MY HEART IS WITH YOU. EVERY TIME WE HAD TO PUT ONE OF OUR PETS DOWN I JUST FELT SO FULL OF GUILT AND DOUBT. ONLY TRUE PET LOVERS KNOW HOW HARD IT IS. THEY TRUELY ARE OUR FAMILY. DON'T LAUGH, BUT I EVEN FEEL THAT MY FIRST BICHON, CRYSTAL IS MY SOULMATE (IN THE SHAPE OF A DOG). I TALK TO HER AND SHE JUST LOOKS ME STRAIGHT IN THE EYE (BEFORE SHE WENT BLIND) NOW SHE LISTENS TO MY VOICE, AND I BELIEVE SHE REALLY UNDERSTANDS ME. AND MY LITTLE SICK CARLY, I WOULD GIVE MY LAST DIME TO HELP HER GET BETTER, I CAN'T THINK OF BEING WITHOUT HER. MY LITTLE CLOWN.