Disgruntled eBay users, check out CNN

kathi17

Sellers only sell on ebay to make money. You can't make much if in order to offset high fees you have to raise your prices and then buyers complain that the prices are higher than they used to be. Then they leave a negative feedback because your prices are higher and you don't have the chance to respond to that because you can only leave positive feedback. I have negative feedback from people who did a "buy it now" and then complained about the price. The problem is they did not have to buy it if they did not agree to the price. They tried to hold my feedback as a hostage situation so that they could get me to lower the prices. Of course, I did not fall for it and I left her negative feedback. That person no longer have an ebay account BUT I still have the negative feedback. :)

Life is too short to play the ebay games. One can just as easily spend the money on ads in mini magazines as they did on ebay fees and make the same amount of money or more IMO. I also have a lot of people who have me saved as their favorite seller and I will still use that venue to let people know when I have something "new" for sell. I am more upset about this because of the fact that they are getting rid of the smaller sellers. Some people are not and have never been a Power seller but they sell regularly on ebay and it's so much talent out their that I feel I have to stand with them for a change and see where the cards fall.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMO, Ebay is still a Great venue for both buyers and sellers. The selection for buyers is unparalleled, and for sellers, the exposure to sell their goods to potential customers is Enormous. Before eBay came along, what options did people have to sell their goods? They could obtain a storefront, rent space at a show or in an antiques mall, sell at flea markets, run ads in trade magazines or have a garage sale, etc. All of these previous options came with associated fees also. I'm personally grateful to be a longtime member of the eBay community and will continue to do so for a long time to come.

L, if the small seller get the short end of the stick, it will only be a short time before that expence is passed on to the buyers. A seller on e bay (or in any other venue) HAS to make a profit. The small sellers on ebay are being squesed from both ends. On one hand thay are rewarded for keeping the neg. FB low and on the other hand e aby is providing a incentive for buyers to turn in neg FB. the other issue is holding there money for 21 days and forcing them to use a paticular service to deliver the product.

Next time you stop by your local store; try and pick up your items and tell them it will be 21 days before you pay. You might also TELL them to deliver the product to your house and only use two different cariers. I would surmise you will get a agurement that will end with you shopping elsewhere.

As I said before, I have followed the internet for years. A site you never heard of can become the "hot" site overnight and I supect the reverse can happen as well. Down here we say: Dance with the one that brung you" I believe E bay owes everything to the small seller who made E bay but thay have switched dance partners and now want to run the small seller out of the dance hall. We will se if it works. I personally doubt it.

Kevin

You can't make much if in order to offset high fees you have to raise your prices and then buyers complain that the prices are higher than they used to be.

And a lot of buyers just can't afford to pay any more than they already are. I try very, very hard to keep my stuff affordable and for the most part, the prices I had on things at eBay covered the cost of materials plus a very small profit margin. There's really no way to add in the cost of time spent in making them. Anyway, in the past month, when I took a look at my sales totals and subtracted the ebay and paypal fees from them, ebay ended up making a lot more money than I did. With the fee increase, I'd be taking a loss. It's either raise my prices or go somewhere else and I don't want to raise my prices.

It really is the small sellers that are taking the hit on this, and in turn, that's going to trickle down to the buyers having to pay more. I'll still occasionally shop on eBay (except during the boycott period) when I'm looking for something unique I can't find anywhere else. But I'm going to stay true to my ethics about not overcharging customers just to make more money for eBay.

Deb

I can see and understand everyone's point of contention with this issue and I truly don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers over this. However, I've seen a "sky is falling" attitude over fees being raised and other changes over many years and life has carried on and people are still buying and selling there. People have a choice whether to participate or not. Also, let's keep this in perspective; much of what's sold via the internet in general are "Nice to have" things versus necessities of life. (I know, I know, minis are a "necessity of life" for many of us :).

And a lot of buyers just can't afford to pay any more than they already are.
I don't think ebay is on the same planet we are on but Hello We are in a recession :) You'd think they'd be trying to make it easier for everyone all around.

I'll still occasionally shop on eBay (except during the boycott period) when I'm looking for something unique I can't find anywhere else. But I'm going to stay true to my ethics about not overcharging customers just to make more money for eBay.
I could not have said it better myself Deb so I am glad you did :(

Next time you stop by your local store; try and pick up your items and tell them it will be 21 days before you pay. You might also TELL them to deliver the product to your house and only use two different carriers. I would surmise you will get a arguement that will end with you shopping elsewhere.
That's the issue, I know for certainty that USPS & Fed-ex are NOT the cheapest most times so a seller will be getting negative feedbacks because they now have to charge more for shipping (which a buyer can say is "excessive") when it is the actual cost to the seller (without fluffed up charges).

For my pre made houses I charge about $45 for shipping...That covers the BOX, Peanuts and bubble wrap....The actual shipping may be as high as $100 sometimes and I have people who think that the $45 is too high (It has happened a few times) and I am actually paying out of my pocket from my profit to ship because I "guess timated" the price incorrectly).

I am sorry to rant on this and I promise this is my last post about it but I think about the retired people & those of us who physically CAN NOT go back to a "regular" job because we have health issues and you have found ebay to help make ends meet, I feel for those of us in that situation and I have had some years to build up a customer base....what about those of us who have not had that chance yet. As a buyer it stinks because we lose them as a seller it stinks because we can no longer provide the same low prices as we used to. Yeah as a power seller I could save an extra 15% of my fees but am I really "saving" when they are going up so much?

Like Deb, I am using etsy.com, my website, CDHM.org and I do have an account at bidville.com (I have had it for about 7 years and never used it but twice). Ebay is a giant and we may not be able to change things alone but with us joining together we can become a giant big enough to be heard :) That's my story and I am sticking to it. I am ending all of my store listings and turning them into auctions because I am gonna boycott with my fellow ebay brothers & sisters who feel it's time to be heard :p I am not saying I will never go back to them but I am saying I am going to take a stand right now and I am making the decision that I feel is best for my customers & myself. :)

much of what's sold via the internet in general are "Nice to have" things versus necessities of life. (I know, I know, minis are a "necessity of life" for many of us smile.gif.
Whew....I almost had a heart attack until I read that last part...Minis ARE a Necessity :) Yeap....I Need them!!

For many of us, Ebay has been our livelyhood. Yes, there have been changes in the past that people were not happy about. We complained, they did nothing, yet we stayed. (well, I didn't...I pulled out of selling a while ago, but I stayed as a buyer) This time the changes have gone too far. Do we stay and accept the status quo, or take our business and businesses elsewhere? They think they've got a monopoly on online auctions, but in this fast-changing world it won't be long before another one comes along to take their place.

Now they want to cut into profits even more, leave no recourse for sellers who have to deal with flaky buyers, and taken every shred of seller protection that was left. That's going to bring in an influx of scam artist buyers who will drive the sellers right out of business. I've known of MANY buyers out to get something for nothing and rip off honest sellers get banned by Ebay for a -3 rating. They'll be back, (again) and bring more with them. Is it worth the risk as a seller?

Ebay used to be a fun place to sell things and make a little extra, many even made a full-time living at it. The times they are a-changing.

Darn, I do wish that Ebay would treat the sellers better. As a buyer, I really do like Ebay.

Living in Canada, postage is always costly - but I always pay whatever the postage is. Obviously I don't shop for bargains. By the time postage is figured in, there's no bargains to be had.

I look for those special items - and never quibble on the price if it's a buy it now, and often bid for pricey items. I firmly believe that the artisans should be well-paid for their craft.

I'll write to Ebay and let them know that I'm concerned about the feedback issue (and high fees) for the sellers.

I'll TRY and not place any bids during the boycott. Hmmmm, I think I'll write to my favourite sellers and ask if they'll support the boycott and not put up any temptations for me during that time. I forget which dates the boycott is going to be held ... I'll flip back through this thread and see.

-Susanne

I'll TRY and not place any bids during the boycott. Hmmmm, I think I'll write to my favourite sellers and ask if they'll support the boycott and not put up any temptations for me during that time. I forget which dates the boycott is going to be held ... I'll flip back through this thread and see.

I hope the sellers won't tempt me either :lol: That would be the time I'd find a Rutherford for $10 :)

I hope the sellers won't tempt me either :lol: That would be the time I'd find a Rutherford for $10 :)

Are we allowed to look at the site? I'm thinking, perhaps not, as Ebay would see that they were still getting a lot of traffic.

I am trying to be supportive for everybody here that sells on Ebay. February is a cold cold dreary month up across the border here. I'll have to stock up on books to keep me busy in the evenings ... and work on the Adams dollhouse.

-Susanne

boy! i didn't know anything about this till now but i'll be joining the boycott. ebay is one of my biggest addictions...how will i live without it?!!!

i don't like any of the feedback changes and i didn't realize the feedback for the seller will drop if i didn't give them full stars! from now on i'll give them all the stars unless they really really really don't deserve them.

i think they need to do something about the high shipping fees though, and i'm not talking about breakable items that end up costing so much i mean the stuff that you know couldn't possibly cost such crazy amounts. i buy a lot of books thru ebay and there was one i had been looking for forever, the book ended up costing about $3 and he wanted $10.00(!!!) for shipping! it was a little book too! media mail and an envelope should've been maybe $3.00 i bought a paperback novel last week for $0.50 and shipping was $6.00! i bought my daughter a baseball type hat(not heavy...not breakable.. ) for christmas that cost $12.00 to ship! outrageous!!!

and sorry sellers! i like the idea of holding funds, but they should be held in the sellers account and they should get any interest earned.

maybe they could just hold half. i've paid for items that never got sent 4 times now, and there is nothing you can do! how about having the sellers add delivery confirmation to items (add it as a shipping fee) and have them enter it into paypal to release the funds. the seller gets the cash faster and the buyer can know that it was shipped.

Wow!! This is a hot one!! After reading all the CNN comments, I have some strong feelings of my own. I do feel that Ebay is being completely ridiculous, and it will bite them in the end. This all sounds completely unfair to sellers, and I understand how much this is going to affect everyone. What I do take exception to, is some of the comments written about buyers. I take pride in my feedback and have never bid on anything without paying for the item within 24 hours. That said, I have heard every excuse going on why I haven't received an item. This is going to be a no win situation. I think both sides will end up losing in the end. How sad, and how very very frustrating!!

This is another reason why I don't bother with ebay.....too much controversey! I have never shopped on it because I heard so many bad things about it, and selling seems to be major problems as well..... Nope.....I'm glad I never was involved!

I ran across this on another forum... Alternatives to Ebay

Seems like a lot more sellers are flying the Ebay coop. Once the sellers establish themselves at new sites, more buyers will follow.

Another thing I've thought about and haven't seen mentioned yet is Ebay's policy of the auctions being binding contracts... This means a buyer agrees to a seller's terms as listed in the auction. I've ran my own and seen many that state something to effect of "insurance is optional. Seller will not be responsible for lost or damaged items if buyer does not wish to insure"... Yeah, try fighting that one out with Ebay and Paypal as a seller. They don't stick to their own rules. There was another new rule a while back about excessive handling charges.. How many of you have seen small items, mainly electronics, listed for 99¢ (BIN even!) but the shipping stated is $50? I have yet to see that one enforced.