• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm checking out some of the auction sites listed here:

http://www.powersellersunite.com/auctionsitewatch.php

and you can find some real bargains compared to eBay. There are also some great things at Etsy and Miniaturesonly.com !

LOL out of curiousity I tried the link above and got a message telling "DUe to heavy traffic of this site you are unable to access it so I suppose lots of people all over the world are trying new venues...

Hugs

I am being really good. It has crossed my mind once or twice to look but I do not want to even do that. They can track people who are just looking and still say the boycott hasnt effected them. I wonder how ebay`s numbers are doing so far.

It is a great opportunity for the other online bid sites to start really digging into eBay's market! That's good enough for me, since I'm sure a week long boycott will put a very little chink in eBay's armor. But the ramifcations of everyone discovering these other bid sites will do WAY more harm in the long run.

I am very ambivalent as the strike also hits the third party the sellers I want to support, the ones who makes it possible for me to find goodies I never knew existed as they aren't avaliable over here, so I am hoping that this will sort of help anyways...

Hugs

There is a second week of boycott, and many are leaving forever. There are a whole bunch of new problems popping up on the forums. An awful lot are moving to http://www.onlineauction.com/ as well as Etsy for the ones who do handcrafted items. The place I have found the most dollhouse stuff is http://www.ecrater.com/search.php?keywords=dollhouse.

Frequently sellers will link to their eBay feedback, and even use the same seller ID that they used on eBay so you can see what their rating is.

Kathi, What kind of problems are coming up on the forums? Do tell... :roflmao:

Has anyone else been *jonesin`* just a lil bit? It crosses my mind to look but I havent. Just wondered if I was not the only one that is missing the window shopping on Ebay.

Hi Heidi, last week eBay gave 600 listings free, no FVFs, no listing fees to GM, which pretty much killed the little guy selling cars in his own backyard. Now Sears has gotten the latest deal.I'm not sure what their deal was because I was gone all day yesterday, and I haven't been to the forums yet.

They have got a big blue balloon which covers up the highest DSR scores, which makes it only possible to leave three or sometimes four when you leave feedback, so no small seller will meet the criteria to be at the top of the listings, and all eBay sellers will have their Paypal funds held for 21 days. (If you guys leave feedback, DON'T leave those DSR stars)!!!

The new listings will soon all appear with a big yellow box above your auction saying "you might want to check out these other items", and photos from the sites eBay wants you to frequent, in other words, your competitors. For the auction you went originally to view, you will have to scroll way down the page.

There are a ton of other things. We want so much for this to work so eBay will wake up and go back to what they were before. Nobody wants to go to eBay and only see listings from big corporations like GM, Sears, Walmart, and a bunch of other retailers.

If enough of the kind of people we love eBay for boycott, maybe eBay's bottom line will suffer enough so they will realize that they should remain an online auction site for the little guy, rather than a liquidation site for big corporations. If they decide to become a liquidation site rather than an auction site, at least we are trying to get sits like OLA, Etsy, eCarater and Bidville more popular so the eBay sellers will have a place to go when eBay dumps them all.

This is no longer about just their new policies you have been reading about, it's about either keeping eBay an auction site before it's too late, or getting an alternative so we have somewhere to go when we don't have eBay anymore.

Kathi, that is what I have been hearing too and they are already "testing" this new way of listing with some of the ebay members. I think it is a shame. I did close my store last week and I am not going to be listing as frequently when the new feedback policy changes. I do have some items I need to get rid of but for the most part, I will not be doing the ebay thing. It was fun while it lasted.

:roflmao:

Hi Tracy, I think everyone is really sad about all of this. It's why I haven't been here much, we are just hoping so much that eBay will see that becoming a liquidator won't work, and that they'll change their mind before it is too late.

There are so many people dependent on eBay just to fed their families, and now eBay is abandoning them. At this point, they are just using auctioneers to keep them afloat during the changeover.

At least if they don't change their minds, hopefully we will have a viable alternative for them. We have been signing up with and testing the other auction sites, and seeing where the best customer service and terms are, ease of listing, etc. (that sentence was kind of backwards, but I've got to get back over there).

I don't think that most eBay users realize what is going on, and eBay won't let them know until they dump everyone over night with no place to go. So you have seen the new auction format too? It really stinks for the seller.

I can't even find the Disney store. They changed their username and it has been pass 30 days cause it is a broken link. But there feedback was just as bad as Sears. Oh well, I guess this will just force us smaller sellers to do what we should have done all along, Grab control over our own business by diversifying where we sell online on the World Wide Web.

Hmmm, Sears doesn't take Paypal.. I thought ALL sellers had to accept PP as a payment option. I called it quits for selling after they made me upgrade to a premiere account. So now they collect fees on every payment I receive, regardless of what source it comes from.. Even the big CC companies don't sock businesses like that!

You don't have to accept Paypal if you have a merchant account. The problem is, merchant accounts are a bit much for the little guy.

Also, they aren't requiring the same things from the big sellers. The big guys negotiate their terms with eBay through their lawyers.

Hmmm, Sears doesn't take Paypal.. I thought ALL sellers had to accept PP as a payment option. I called it quits for selling after they made me upgrade to a premiere account. So now they collect fees on every payment I receive, regardless of what source it comes from.. Even the big CC companies don't sock businesses like that!

Jeni,

If you have a second checking account you can open a personal account as well. Have your payments sent there for everything but the auctions.

Kathy

I did support the strike and it will be interesting to see what happens with all this. However for many years now I've been getting more and more annoyed with ebay and having to go through a bunch of junk listings to get to what I wanted which was NOT the big power sellers but just individuals selling things. I also couldn't believe when they started doing the check out these auctions things on top of sales. I couldn't believe that junk. The seller on that page is paying for that auction, not to advertise for businesses. I've been on ebay almost since the beginning as well as paypal. I dislike the changes coming and don't feel they're going to benefit anyone but the bad buyers out there.

Also be well aware that if you do sell or buy in the future that the shipping calculator is extremely faulty. I have a postal scale at home. I noticed one day that the shipping looked very high and went to the USPS site and recalculated it. It was off by 10 bucks. This has happened several times now and if you have a great buyer that pays instantly when the auction ends it means that you then have to refund money and eat the paypal and ebay fees for the extra. On those auctions I ended up having to go and ship through the usps site instead of using paypal shipping. Where's the extra money going? It sure doesn't get credited back to you. I read on one of the sites went above that ebay is aware of this. Obviously they don't plan on doing anything about it.

I did call paypal and tell them and was told they hadn't had any other complaints. :banana: Yeah sure. If not then a lot of people are overpaying and I'll bet anything then going and filling in the DSR stars with a lower rating as a result. We have perfect feedback and I wanted to keep it that way. However we're at 4.6 in the DSR because of the S&H. We don't charge a penny more than it costs us to ship AND we never charge for handling. So either someone didn't fill out the stars and I understand that lowers the rating or someone still thought they were overpaying. We ship immediately, we pay immediately, we don't charge more than it costs us and I've even refunded 20 cents when it was that much over and as much as 10$ that one time and various amounts in between, we describe to a tee anything wrong with an item and hubby even takes pictures of any issues so that buyers know exactly what they're getting when they bid. Still we have 4.6. So this says to me that the DSR rating system is extremely faulty. No way is that going to be helping anyone. Buyers won't know that sellers are good sellers under these circumstances. I also don't want them deleting negatives after a year. I want to know if someone has a lot of negatives.

I personally think the changes are to get rid of anyone that just sells occasionally and as one person said only keep the liquidators, which I have 0 interest in buying from. I disliked when they started taking over. It's not why I use ebay.

Kathy