We have a new fur-baby

Shy Spirit

We already have a Siamese cat - Tai - who came to us as a stray. (We did find the owners, but to cut a long story short - they let us keep him!)

My son has two cats that have been living with us, but he recently decided to move them into his girlfriends place. (One of them is supposed to be his girlfriend's cat.) Our little Tai has been very forlorn without his "cousins". They were only a couple of months younger than him - he's just turned two. He's been calling them, and searching for them since they left - just over a week ago. He definitely needed a brother!

On Thursday I took my daughter (exam week at school - she had the day off) to the Humane Society, and we adopted a sweet little tabby. He's had a very rough time of it - he was a tiny, semi-feral stray with a bad upper respiratory infection when they first got him. It left him with partial blindness and tearing in his left eye, poor guy. He was adopted, but was then abandoned in an apartment, and returned to the shelter. Can you imagine? He's very affectionate, but easily startled, and skittish. He's a year and a half old, and most of that time was spent in the shelter. We haven't taken any pics yet - don't want to be flashing lights in his face when he's still learning to trust us! Here's the pic that was posted online at the Humane Society.

post-750-1202087724_thumb.jpg

Awww, he's a sweetie! He looks like our Phoebe, who was on the streets until my oldest made friends with her. When they're THAT affectionate you have to wonder what could've possibly happened that they end up all by themselves. Have you thought of a name for him yet?

Yes - sorry! He was named "Willy" at the shelter. That name seems a little rude to us, so my daughter and I call him "Willow". DH wants to call him "William". My son isn't sure what to call him! For official purposes such as vet records, we have agreed upon "Will". He will just have to accept that different members of the family will call him different things at home.

I'm terrible for calling them silly things. Especially rhyming silliness. As I fuss over them and give them tummy rubs etc. I call them my "furry-purry", "roly-poly", "pretty-kitty", and so on. As long as I'm giving them lots of loving, they don't seem to mind what I call them!

He is absolutely adorable. Would you post another photo when you get a chance. His "M" on his forehead seems to be .... unique. I'd love to see more photos when you get a chance. His colouring is to die for.

-Susanne

What a sweet face he has! I'm sure he will lose his skittishness soon when he finds out he is safe, warm, dry and fed and loved! That's all kitties need! He is a keeper! Love his little cheeks!

.... those Pedigree commercials about dogs waiting at the pound are KILLING me!

Oh, aren't they sad! It was so hard at the shelter - I wished I could take them all home with me. They had one room reserved for cats with FIV - but we couldn't adopt any of them, as it transmits to other cats, and Tai would have been at risk. I had to control myself a couple of times, or I would have started crying. So many darlings wanting homes!

... Would you post another photo when you get a chance...

-Susanne

I will, just as soon as we take a picture - maybe in a couple of days. :tomato:

Lucky Will to find you! He's a charmer. :tomato:

There was an article in the KC Star today about great numbers of pets who are left behind when homes are foreclosed. The owners just go off and leave them. I know the owners are under stress, but really ... I can't imagine abandoning an animal, no matter what the circumstances.

Rosalind, you found a real cutie-pie. DS#3 is our family "cat-man" and my current fave is the runt, Midnight, the all black tiniest kitten I have ever seen, because ASA i put my hand near the floor he's the one who runs to me first for scoop-up & tummyrubs, and I can hear him purring before he hits my hand! Will may or may not get over his skittishness, but he looks like a lovey.

He is very cute. I like tiger cats alot. Pebbles was one of our first cats and she was a tiger.

I am happy you gave him a home. MF was a 3 strikes cat. 3 different families adopted him and then gave him back because he was TOO playful. He got a *stay* when we took him in.

Yep, just like my TabbyGrey, little Will is a typical tabby cat, with the tell-tale "M" (or sometimes "W") on his face. He's beautiful!...but then, so is my TG! :)

All my cats have names..and then there are "silly names". And then, of course I think that all cats have their OWN names that they only share with other cats, and still a third name that they hold only for themselves! :)

(Yeah, I know...too romantic. Watch CATS too often... :) )

I'm so glad you found him and I know he'll have a lovely home with you!

AWWWWW....he looks just like our Kitty! So glad he's found a good home.

I am just crazy over cats. I adore them all.

I, too, cannot understand these people who go off and leave their pets behind in an abandoned house. Who do they think is going to feed and care for them?? It takes an hour or less to take a pet to the Humane Society. Of course they will make the excuse that they might get euthanized, but is leaving them behind to STARVE any better??? I'm so GLAD that some Humane Societies make an effort to find these people and charge them with animal cruelty! I could go on and on about irresponsible pet owners...but I won't! Grrrrrrr!!

The Humane Society has a policy - they will only euthanize animals that are too sick to continue on, or too vicious to ever be adopted out, no matter how much help/training they receive.

Our local Humane Society had six cats available, and they had all been brought in from another shelter. They don't seem to have much trouble adopting out their cats, so I decided to drive further, and adopt from the Toronto Humane Society. I checked their online info. and they had 112 cats available. That was the first day. By the third day of looking, they were up to 130 - something (I forget the exact number).

Tai and Willow are buddies already - it's wonderful to watch them playing together!

We had a grey tabby before - Greyson - who was a stray with a gimpy leg. He lived a long, happy life until he developed unoperable cancer at the age of 17. We had to let him go. He was the last of our 5 cats that all lived to a ripe age. (The white cat that I had when I was 16 lived to be 21.) Willow has more brown in his fur - but otherwise looks a lot like Greyson. Personality-wise, there's quite a difference. For one thing, Greyson thought he was a dog! :)

I'm sure that Willow has a True Name - but that should never be divulged. :)

Oh how sweet! I love to hear happy stories about strays ending up in just the right home, getting the love and attention they need! And I understand about the many names thing - my animals have so many silly nicknames. My Tallulah gets called "Wooby Kitty", "Tally Wally", "Tallulah Lu", "Lulah" and "Girly Wirly". Sadie gets "Sadie Wadie", "Sades", "Puppy Wuppy", "Baby Puppy Face" and Nym gets "Nymmykins", "Nimbly", "Little Man" and "Nymminess" (both cats get "Baby Kitty Face" followed by a barrage of kisses, which they HATE).

I can only imagine that our pets think we're nuts for calling them these crazy names!

My Tallulah gets called .... "Girly Wirly"...

Ha! Isn't that funny - I call my son's girlfriend's cat, "Girly Wirly", "Maggie", "Magpie", "Sweety-Tweety", and so on. Her name is actually "Madam" - so named by my son's girlfriend.

Thank goodness our pets love us and can forgive our silly ways! :)