Update: Progress/Pics of My Garfield House

Ms. Mini

Hi everyone! well I have just spent the past 3 days straigt doing nothing but build my house! I am happy to say the structure is complete. all I must do now is finish the electrical and then glue down the roof to begin the "design" part of the house! Im very excited and have put alot of man time on this project. And conisdering its my first house I think I've done well so far. A few mix ups starting out. But I'm doing pretty well now. Anyways here is my site with pics. Check it out and let me know if you have any suggestions or comments! thanks

-Jenny

http://community.webshots.com/album/533864048zgPHXY

Thank you thank you!!!! I actually just finished doing the electrical wiring as we speak! So tomorrow I plan to start the floors and carpet!!! I've decided to go with more darker colors mainly I think. I already bought 3 sets of furniture, bedroom, dinning room, and living room set. all in dark cherry oak color. So I think something to complement that will go nicely. Any suggestions? ;)

Wow, have you been a busy bee!

3 sets of furniture, bedroom, dinning room, and living room set. all in dark cherry oak color. So I think something to complement that will go nicely.

Actually light and brighter or pastel colors would work well with dark furniture. Are you going for a heavy, dark Victorian look? Burgundy/ deeper reds/ purples and dark greens & blues with perhaps a touch of paisley in the upholstery. Maybe oak panelled wainscots with some cream-colored moire or tiny damask-weave silk jacquard for wall treatments & drapes to contrast. Floors walnut with really busy Oriental rugs.

I envy you your steady hand when you get ready to paint, with the acetate window inserts already installed! :D ;) I always have to leave off the windows & trims until last, with my luck I'd paint the clear parts as well as the trims B)

I only thought that house looked huge, but what fun you'll have decorating it! Love the light!

I am also building a Garfield. I'm interested in how you plan to wall paper and finish staircase and outside, having already installed the windows, the staircase and the porch railings. I carpeted and stained the staircase before putting it in because my hands could never ever fit into the tiny spaces to do it after placement, and felt that it would be impossible to put siding on having to reach over the porch railings. Similarly, I've held off on putting on the roof so I can reach attic rooms more readily for decorating.

As this is also my first house I was obsessive about following directions until I realized that putting all the windows in first made it almost impossible to cut siding and wallpaper accurately. Also, I needed to be able to get my hands in through those windows and doors to lay wiring and flooring. I'd love to see more pictures as you progress and how you approach these problems (or, better, how you avoid them so i can copy you!). Love the hinges on the doors.

Phyllis Menno

Wow, youhave been as busy as a Bee :D .

You are doing fantastic and Thank You, Thank You, Thank you so much for the wonderful pictures you have been taking!

I carpeted and stained the staircase before putting it in because my hands could never ever fit into the tiny spaces to do it after placement, and felt that it would be impossible to put siding on having to reach over the porch railings. Similarly, I've held off on putting on the roof so I can reach attic rooms more readily for decorating.

Thanks for these tips too because sometimes we don't realize things like this has to be done until it's too late ;)

Can't wait to see more pictures.

well fortunatly for me I have small hands, and can work around through the house very easly! I only have not glued the roof down yet, I am waiting to finish the walls and flooring. Last night I finished the electrical wiring, so today I will start the flooring! im very excited. well have more pics up tonight for sure... ;)

I agree about using lighter colors. You may want to paint a test spot and put the furnature in the see how it looks. Even with lights the walls often look darker than you think after they are painted. It looks great so far. ;) I can't wait to see how you finish it.

Wow! You've made a ton of progress. Thanks for sharing pictures. If I'm ever able to get back to work on my Garfield I will certainly be referring to your photos to help with the construction. ;) It looks great. Can't wait to see how you decorate it.

Ohhh, I love the look of a dollhouse put together without any decorating. You've done a super job, it's just gorgeous. I put my Beacon Hill together the same way and then did all the painting and siding and I had no trouble on the outside at all even going around the porch posts. I did have trouble inside with the one wall at the staircase but I managed to do it. I didn't install wiring, at that time I had no idea a dollhouse could have lighting, so maybe one day I will take it all apart and install lights.

I am so looking forward to pictures of your progress. It really does look great!!

Wendy

Goodmorning! Just wanted to update you on my "building status". well last night i finished filling in the wood, with food filler. Started doing some wallpapering inside and painting. I decided to take out the plastic windows it came with. I just dont like the look. So I will be making my own. Some home, havent figured out with what yet. any suggestions?Anyways added some new pics to my site. check it out. thanks ;)

Some folks replace the kit acetate window inserts with the transparency film shhets that work with the printer, espeially for printing off stained glass or leaded windows. If you don't mind the tedium of working with many mini real glass panes there are always the microscope slide covers, I believe Edmond's, American Scientific or one of the other lab supply places could probably ship you enough to glaze several Beacon Hills. Making your own you can make working doublehung windows, should you so desire :)

Wow, thanks for sharing the pics of your Garfield! Can't wait to see the finished and decorated dollhouse! The Garfield kit is one of my favorites. It's such a beautiful dollhouse. I would love to build one too! Maybe next summer... :D Please, keep posting pictures of your building progress! :huh: It must be such a lot of fun to decorate this great dollhouse and to choose colors and everything. I'm so jealous! :)

Just wanted to say hi! Progress on my house is going very well.. The miniature shop here in town gets a new shipment of shingles next week, so thats when I will be purchasing my shingles! in the mean time I am working onthe inside. Painting stairs, wallpapering, sanding, always so much to do!!

Jenny!

WOW! Only 3 days? OMGosh! :D It's wonderful! I love the lighting, and it's your first house too. Wow, is all I can say. lol I'm still working on the Glencroft, wishing I could get to the store to get more paint at the moment. :D Kids started back to school this morning, I went in to take care of a few things, but had to come back to the house to meet the housing office people about some mold in the ventilation. We're in military housing, and a private contractor literally just took over management. We called weeks ago about this problem, but the military people didn't have the budget to take care of it then. He came by this morning, we have a leak in the wall, and it looks like we will have to move to another house. :) I have the colors picked for painting, but since the tubes are so old, and used, I won't have enough to finish what I wanted to do. I'm not supposed to leave the house until I hear back from housing .... :huh: *sigh* I'm itching to get back to work, especially since the kids are in school, but it looks like I won't get back to it today, until after school ... and that won't work.

It's so nice to see your progress, and the AMAZING amount of work you've done! I can't wait until I am there too :D

Good job!

Danielle

I'll echo what everyone else has said, you have made great progress with the house. And I am really impressed with the size of it too! You have an adventrous spirit to build a Garfield first, and you are really doing a terrific job. Love all the pictures you have!

OK update time!! So last night I got a little bit of painting done.. Now since this is my first house I have def. already learned something to do next time.. Paint the stairs before you glue them in!! ahh!! what a pain this is! Anyways im going for a kind of rustic look for thie stairs, its not done yet. im going to put in the velevet stairs tonight. but tell me what you think..

537647342tBOlqT_ph.jpg

537647540SKZkuT_ph.jpg

I also tested my color on the outside....

537647995DeWPGD_ph.jpg

what do you think? To bright? Once the gingerbread trim is on thats all going to be white, and so will all the door/window pains. please let me know what you think! :) I'm always open to suggestions

To upload pictures in your post click "add reply" then click the "choose file" button so you can choose the picture from your computer. Then click the button "add this attachment"

After that click the "add into post" button then add your reply.

:)

Webshots do not let you add your pictures outside of there website. Even if you pay for premium service.