Not what I expected

Deb

I think I'm alarmed. Actually, I think I'm downright scared. The dr's office called me today and said that the dr wants to see me ASAP and told me to come in tomorrow afternoon. It was the PA I talked to and I asked her if she could give me any of the test results or any indication about why he has to see me and all she said was that she couldn't give me any information over the phone and the doctor will explain it all tomorrow.

This is not what I expected. When I saw him, he said that they'd get the bloodwork back to find out where my T3 and T4 levels are at so they'd know what kind of meds to prescribe and his nurse would just call to tell me the results and call in the prescriptions in for me. I wasn't scheduled to see him again till the end of March. Maybe I'm just being an alarmist, but it takes two months to get an appointment with this dr, even for a follow up visit. When he says he wants to see me within 24 hours, it scares me.

I don't think that it's anything like cancer because the kind of nodules I have (that were diagnosed in the past) have never been documented as turning malignant. I think that surgery may be a possibility, or it may be that because of my past history with thyroid storms, they might want me in the office to take the first dosage of the new meds to make sure I don't do that again. (storms are life threatening and without immediate treatment, the survival rate isn't real good)

Whatever it is, it's alarming when a doctor won't give you any information over the phone and wants to see you immediately in his office.

Cross your fingers for me guys. I'm sure it'll be nothing serious, but I'm scared.

Deb

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Deb you are in my thoughts and I will send as much positive energy (and then some) to you! On the other hand it really sounds like this doctor is taking his work serious and knows what he is doing so that is a good sign!

Sweetie hang in there and I will be keeping mental fingers crossed for you as well tomorrow!

Hugs

Oh, Deb ... the dreaded Great Unknown.

I swear, it would be so much easier on the nerves if they'd just give you some idea of what's going on.

On the good side -- good might be stretching it, but you know what I mean -- , you'll see him tomorrow, so the wait isn't as long as it might be.

<Grabbing a bottle of green apple pucker and heading for Deb's -- or would you prefer green tea? Oh. I thought so!>

Hang in there ,Deb.

I wish these doctors would realize how scary they sound to their patients sometimes.

I've had doctors do that to me too.

I'll bet you're right, they want you in the office for the first dosage of new meds.

I'm sending positive vibs to you while I'm looking at one of your beautiful textile pieces on my wall.

Gentle hugs to you.Deb.

Thanks guys. All your comfort and support means a lot right now. Even after a valium, my hands are still shaking. It's the not knowing that's the scary part. It could be anything from starting the new meds under their watchful eyes to needing an immediate ultrasound or a radioactive iodine test, to telling me that surgery isn't optional anymore. I have a feeling that it's going to be the last one so I already packed a bag with warm fuzzy socks, sweat pants, a warm shawl, some books, my mp3 player, and made sure my cell is charged and I have all the phone numbers I need. I probably won't need it but I'd rather throw it in the truck just in case I end up in the hospital. (even with a list Bruce would never be able to find half of that stuff for me so it's better that I have it all packed just in case)

I'm hopeful that it won't be the radioactive iodine test they need. Anyone ever have one of those? The technician puts on lead lined gloves and a lead apron and goggles, brings out a lead crystal canister the size of a coffee can with a lead stopper in it, shakes out a pill into a paper cup marked "hazardous" and hands it to you with a pair of tongs and tells you to swallow it. The first time they did that to me, I put my hands behind my back and said, "Nuh uh. You first."

I'm rambling.

Deb

Feel free to ramble Deb. It helps, believe me, I have been doing some rambling lately myself. My poor sweet dear sisters both got earfuls this week-end. As for tonight andyour appointment tomorrow, I will be sending prayers for you. I am counting on your dr. being on his toes and getting you started in the right direction. Try to keep happy thoughts my friend. We are here for you!

Deb Dear, you know how these dr. are. He probably didn't make a note in the file that he would just call and change your meds. So you may just go in and walk out with the prescription you were expecting. But if surgery is the fix you need, then go in with a positive attitude and come home feeling sooooo much better.

You are in my prayers and here is not only the green apple pucker but some chocolate chip cookies to go with it.

<<<hugs>>>> and healing thoughts coming your way in waves.

I very much understand what your going through Deb. My thoughts are with you. I hope that it all turns out well for you. This is such a good place to let out how your feeling isn't it? It has been so comforting to me during my ordeal. :)

Three Cheers for the Greenleaf Mini Forum!!

Deb, just remember honey, if you are in the midst of a storm and you know those symptoms, don't wait go to the ER. If he felt you were in the midst of one, I think he would have told you to do that anyway today. I know how nervous you must feel because the same thing happened to me 3 years ago and I was in the midst of a storm and because I was always being told that I "Looked" fine and if I was having a thyroid storm that I would not be smiling so much (Well, sometimes new Doc's don't know your pain tolerance) Mine is high so with that being said I was having a thyroid storm but they were able to get me straight.

Rest, really, do something that will make you get your mind off of things. Do you like audio books? Pop one in and you won't have to hold the book to read. I like books more than I do movies because it's less effort I have to use. Is your hands shaking when you hold them out? Are you feeling anxious? Are you feeling heart palpatations? What about your skin, do you have acne on the side of your face along your jawline? Are you sleeping too much or too little? What about changes in your hair and nails (Brittle and dry)? If so, you may be in the midst of a storm. Those were some of my symptoms.

If you can wait to see the Dr. then do. You know you better than they do, we sometimes just like to hear someone else agree :) Sending you BIG hugs and Love my sweet heart!!

DEB!

I wish I had any words to make you feel less worried...less scared...less everything but BETTER!

I dont have the words but I am sending you the all of my positive Vibes!! can you feel the BIG huggg you just recieved!!

I do hope you let us know how you are!!

Ill be thinking of you!

nutti :)

Wishing you the best healing thoughts ever Deb..... We should all be with you en masse! The doctor would not believe his eyes at your support group!

That would be so funny! We would be like the Cell phone commercial that shows the guy going everywhere with his "people" with him everywhere he goes. I can see Deb sitting on the doctor's table swinging her legs and then the doctor comes in and looks at all of us and say "Who are they?" and then Deb says "Oh Good Doctor...... you can see them too. I thought it was just my over active imagination." :banana:

Okay, it's corney but I blame Gina for making me imagine it :)

Deb Dear, you know how these dr. are. He probably didn't make a note in the file that he would just call and change your meds.

I wish that were the case, but the doc was the one who told the PA to get me in asap. Whatever the test results are, there's something in there he wasn't expecting coz he told me he wouldn't be seeing me again till the end of March.

Deb, just remember honey, if you are in the midst of a storm and you know those symptoms, don't wait go to the ER.

I promise I will Tracy! When I storm, I go into a full cardiac event, so believe me, if there are even the slightest signs of it, I'm calling 911. Bruce used to be a paramedic so he knows what to watch for if I start losing a grip on reality and don't see the signs myself.

Hey Deb - I've got your hand - I'm not letting go until tomorrow night. I mean it - I'm visualizing your hand in mine, and I'm holding on tight! You're going to be okay.

<grasping tightly> Thank you guys. Whatever tomorrow brings, it's going to be faced with the strength and comfort of knowing that you're all there with me. (but we're going to have to take turns in the elevators coz the capacity is only 15) I'll let you know what happened when I get home. If I end up in the hospital or something, my friend GrammaKathy will post and keep you updated.

For now, I'm going to take another valium (those are supposed to be helping with the restlessness, agitation and anxiety of the TAE, but today they've been keeping me from climbing the walls) and go put "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in the dvd player in the bedroom. The banter of Oberon and Titania, and the humor of Puck are soothing.

Hugs to you all for being the world's greatest friends,

Deb