Hi there!

olivia'sdad

Hello there. I'm Mike. I live in Maine. I'm 34 (almost 35) and have a 5 (almost 6) month old daughter, Olivia Paige and I was contemplating using some of my scale modeling skills to build her a dollhouse for when she's a couple years older.

I have minimal woodworking experience but have taken a couple of classes in high school (back in 1992) that involved wood and plastic work.

I look forward to picking your brains and learning what I need to to make a cool dollhouse for my baby girl.

Thanks for having me!

Hi Mike - welcome to the forum! :( What scale models have you made?

Olivia looks like a little doll! She's adorable. What a lucky girl, to have a thoughtful dad willing to make a dollhouse for her. Have a look around the galleries - you'll find incredible pics for inspiration, ingenious creations to get your own ideas flowing. Ask all the questions you want - someone will have the answer!

WELCOME.

If you are planning to use a kit for your dollhouse, I have good news: you did not have to have a big knowledge in wood working. The hard work is already done. However, your kid would appreciate it forever.

Good luck and enjoy it!

I mostly do science fiction models like the Enterprise from Star Trek or the X-Wing from Star Wars...

Oh, my son would be interested in those - especially the Star Wars models! He likes anything to do with Star Wars. :( I'd also be interested because they're miniature. :wave: Do you have any pics?

Welcome to the "little" forum family, Mike. Andrew ("Doogster") also builds sci-fi models. I built historical models and N-scale buildings for DH's trains and made stuffed toys, but I've learned a very little bit of woodworking from making furniture & accessories for my houses.

Check out the dollhouse Glen scratch-built his "Baby".

Olivia is adorable!

Welcome to the forum!

a dollhouse is definatly a special gift for a father to build for his daughter! good for you!

do you have one in mind?

you have some time to practice before starting her forever house...she is still so young.

I do hope you will share with us your progress!

nutti :flowers:

Hey there Mike, Im glad you found this group!Everyone is very supportive and helpful,dont hesitate to ask questions. Dollhouse building is hardly rocket science ! You will appreciate this.....when its done right, you will use more left brain than right,I think the more technical minded people have the hardest time with it. In other words, use "The Force" (but dont close your eyes) and you will be fine. Your house must be solid,well built but dont forget these houses are also fantasy and poetry and art. Youre little girl will love you for this!

Ive had a few glasses of wine tonight so sorry if this was a little emotional....lol....