Beacon Hill Expansion

madhatter

Hello,

Because I cant yet start my house I am doing all the planning ahead of time. I was wondering if anyone has any shots of any expansions that have been done to enlarge the house. I only have the picture in the "dollhouses to dreamhouse book".

I plan to expand on the side where the kitchen goes, so i can fit in a dining room, and also above it to enlarge the room above. Does anyone know if this has been done before.

I will also need to try and find some more windows, if anyone has any they did not youse will ya let me know please. I also want to make the porch extend all the way around the side where the kitchen window will be.

Your thoughts or suggestions would be great,

Jenn o

Hi Jenn! If you look in the Members Gallery, I think there are pictures there of an extension that Sunnyray did to her kitchen. Someone also added a beautiful conservatory (that's my plan too) to that side of the house to extend the kitchen. Who was that? . . . Maybe that was a Pierce, but it's the same idea.

I think if you just plan it out very well you shouldn't have a problem. Are you extending up to the Mansard roof or just to the second floor with a flat roof on top? Hmm . . . that Mansard roof could be a challenge to bash.

Oh well, good luck and keep us posted on your progress!! ;)

HELLO,

YEP I WANT TO DO THE ROOF, AM I CRAZY. I ALSO WANT TO CHANGE THE STAIRCASE, EITHER STRAIGHT OR JUST UPGRADE THE MAIN FLOOR SPINDLES. IVE SEEN PICS OF BOTH, CANT DECIDE.

IM ALSO GOING TO REDO THE FRONT DOOR, IM NOT SURE ABOUT THE WINDOWS YET. DO YOU KNOW IF GREENLEAF WILL SELL EXTRAS?

IM GOING TO WORK ON THE MAIN FLOOR FIRST AND FINISH IT AND THEN START ON THE SECOND LEVEL, THATS HOW I DID THE DOLLHOUSE I JUST COMPLEATED AND IT WORKED OUT TO BE EASIER.

I AM GOING TO DECORATED THE INSIDE WITH MY INSPIRATION COMING FROM SENCE AND SENSIBILITY. I LOVE THE COTTAGE THEY LIVE IN, THAT'S WHERE THE TRIM WORK CAME FROM ON THE ACORN. SO MANY OPTIONS...... HAVE TO THINK SOME MORE ON IT.

WILL KEEP LOOKING THROUGH PICS FOR INSPIRATION THOUGH, ITS A GREAT HELP HAVING EVERYONES AMAZING BEACONS TO LOOK AT.

THANKS JENN O

Jenn, my eyes went all buggy-eyed trying to read your post! B) Those ALL CAPS are a killer!! ;)

Sounds like you've got some great ideas! I'm not sure if Greenleaf sells extra pieces, but it's worth a try to ask them!

Good luck with that Mansard roof!! :D

I wanted to change the stairs to a curved one but none of the stores in my area sold that and I wasn't about to spend 30-40 bucks on it. I've grown to love the wrap-around stairs though, since I spent so much time building that part alone.

ouchouch,

Yeh I know staris are realy expensive, I am going to try and build them myself. Crazy I know. I have googled and found some sites on making them, so i thought i would give it a try. Love your studio apt, want to build one in 1/6th scale

Sorry to everyone for the Cap's, my son who is just over a year likes to hit that button.

http://community.webshots.com/album/534773924VOScuG

Jenn O

Sorry to everyone for the Cap's, my son who is just over a year likes to hit that button.

Don't worry about it Jenn! I have a bird who loves to jump on the keys just to hear them click!! :) I don't know what button he jumps on to make the screen disappear though! Most frustrating!! :huh:

I'll glady share tips with you on building an extension.

I have built one for my Beacon Hill (sorry pics aren't up yet). I have almost finished the exterior paintwork for the house (my isn't that a job :) )?

Like you I wanted an extension for my kitchen and I have to say it looks great.

I still used the kitchen bay window as a side wall for the extension. I thought it would be a shame not to use it. The main extension wall looked a little bare (no window) so I put a lean to shed infront of it. Now the house looks so much more in proportion and you can get a nice kitchen suite in there.

I am going to upload some of my beacon hill pics in my gallery if you want to see the extension. They should be up there in the next half hour or so..

:huh:

Oh my gosh the pics are amazing, im so jelous. I realy want to start mine. This is so helpful to have someone else kitbashing the beacon. Keep us posted with more pics, what a large kitchen you will have, love the furniture.

Jenn

Oh my gosh the pics are amazing, im so jelous. I realy want to start mine. This is so helpful to have someone else kitbashing the beacon. Keep us posted with more pics, what a large kitchen you will have, love the furniture.

Jenn

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The furniture is from the dolls house emporium but I got mine cheaper on ebay. I painted my units white. The furniture was originally green.

Heres another idea too. If you make the extension big enough you could divide it into two rooms with sliding or french doors.

I really would have loved to do that but I didn't have the space.

sunnyray,

You got lots of nice comments on your pics. I have decided that since i cant start my beacon hill yet, Were moving. That i would bash my arthur, and turn it into a shop with a little apt above.

I like your idea about the french doors, I want to do this in the hallway, i plan to make it straight, and move the location of the entrence to the livingroom. That way i figure i can get french door in. I definatly will youse your idea for the expansion on the side. I plan to have a dining room that leads to the kitchen. Hum i keep thinking i want a bigger livingroom, I think my house is going to be large.

It keeps growing in my head. Love to see your new pics when you get a chance and any suggestions or hints for buliding the beacon would be great.

Thanks, Jenn

I have a Willowcrest kit I want to build one day, trying to think of a way to bash the downstairs into larger rooms without destroying the lines of the house

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couldn't you enlarge it from the back instead of the sides? That way the house wouldn't lose it's shape...

But you might need long arms. :)

Madhatter. I wanted to make the Beacon hill living room larger too. I came up with the idea that if I didn't put the living room side bay window in I could get a door made to fit (or leave it open) and have another room connected to that side.

I couldn't do it because of lack of space but I did a few designs on paper and it would work.If I find the designs I could send it them to you if you want.

Wendi

But you might need long arms.

At my age my arms have done all the growing they're gonna do :)

I'm thinking in terms of extending the kitchen & have a deck above that gets opened onto from upstairs, but then what to do with th other side? I;m definitely thinking about this one.

Sunnyray,

Thanks for the offer, let me know what you find. Iv'e also been trying to put my ideas down of paper. Ive been so inspired by your bash that today, I got out the hammer and hit the arthur. It was alot of fun , and I kinda get to start from stratch. Im making it into a shop, have not decided what yet. Im inspired by Brooke Tucker.

Oh I also have a hint the i have found very useful, If you take a pictue of the front of the house or sides depending on what you want to change. Print it off and then get some carbon paper, you can buy it in large rolls. You can then trace the house and you will have a line drawing of your house which is much easier to add too. That what i am doing.

Im going to post pictures on the forum now, but i also have them on webshots.

Thanks, Jen

Im inspired by Brooke Tucker.
Hoo, aren't we all?

If you take a pictue of the front of the house or sides depending on what you want to change. Print it off and then get some carbon paper, you can buy it in large rolls. You can then trace the house and you will have a line drawing of your house which is much easier to add too.

That's a terrific idea! It will make it easier to see how I want to change things.

Jen. I've just been looking at your house and noticed the french door. Did you have to do anything to that door to make it fit? I have seen them over here and they looked a bit too thick in depth to go with the wall depth of a greenleaf design.

The Arthur could be definately used as a shop. It's a cute house.

Havanaholly, There must be a way to extend the Willowcrest. You'll have to do it now, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Jen. I've just been looking at your house and noticed the french door. Did you have to do anything to that door to make it fit? I have seen them over here and they looked a bit too thick in depth to go with the wall depth of a greenleaf design.

The Arthur could be definately used as a shop. It's a cute house.

Good Morning,

The door is from house works, and iv'e had it forever. Finally got to use it Yeh. After i put in the siding, it is almost flush with the inside. I am planning to put trim around the interior of the door, I generally use a few different pieces, just like a real door jam. I did this on the Acorn, Same thing but the doors are not deep enough so you have to put trim work on the inside of the wall matched up with the trim. Did that make sence.

Been dreaming of my shop all night and finially decided what it's going to be, Dressmaker/Designer/fitter on the top floor. Im adding stairs outside and a door. The main floor is going to be a shabby sheak door, dont know how to spell sheak sorry. They will be contemporty stores, with one of brooke tuckers room as the inspiration for the top, and my love a merchandising as the bottom.

Cant wait to get to the fun stuff.

Jenn

ok been thinking more on what i want to do on the beacon,

The living room i was thinking about putting on a conservatory,adding pic to show which one i want. I figured i would take out the wall almost entirely and just add support somehow. I want to take out the wall so the room will be huge with the additon. My problem , where to put the fireplace, i was considering putting it against the hall wall, closest to the back end. But the fireplace upstairs, what about that, do you think i could change that too?

The kitchen side, i want to extend to make room for a dining room. You will walk through the dining room to get to the kitchen. The porch will extend around the wall to the back of the house. The second floor above the kitchen will be a huge masterbedroom. My problem here is where do i put the bathroom, do i keep the room the same size and make the bathroom a walkthrough to the new bedroom or do i put it on the 3rd floor? or across the hall.?

I found the stairs i want to put in, im using them on the Arthur. I think they will be a perfect size.

I want to use round wire in this house, so i have to figure that out too.

Love to here what everyone thinks

http://community.webshots.com/album/307369036IZUZtK

Jenn O

Hi, Jenn! I love that conservatory! I'm going to add it to the kitchen of my Beacon Hill when the budget allows for it!

Sounds like you've got some pretty amazing ideas! Can't wait to see how it turns out! Have you tried tape wire? I used it in my Beacon Hill and it was so easy. Darrell has a tutorial on tape wire here on the forum and it helped immensely.

Good luck!

Why not leave the fireplace where it is and as an architectural feature in the conservatory you can either do a pass-through fireplace (for a more modern flair, with a raised hearth) or do it in a faux-stone finish with plaster figures (like a lion's head or Green Man, for example) on it. You could do some sort of ornamental filigree-type arch over the doorways on either side, maybe with ornamental plants in big pots or ferns on plantstands on either side.

Check out this conservtory for a different idea: http://www.outoftheordinary.on.ca/mansion/house.html