got an idea rattling around

olivia'sdad

I want to buy a pre-fab treasure chest and stain it and put realistic looking pirate booty along with some lead crystal faceted paperweights inside for when my daughter is 5 years old, we can go on a treasure hunt and when she digs it up, she can say, "daddy! Look at what I found!"

It's been a long time since I've worked with wood. I'm pretty sure it's pine or some other kind of soft wood. I should sand it with varying grits of sandpaper and then stain it or something? Should I treat the wood first before staining it?

I'd also like to replace the hasp on the front of it in favor of one that can accommodate a large pirate-esque lock. It's all in my plan. I'll get a cryptic letter from a long-lost relative. Enclosed are just an old map and a key (to the lock of the chest, of course) and my daughter and I can embark on an adventure, eyepatches and all.

It depends on how long it will be buried. It's a GREAT idea!! If it's buried for a long time i would think an out door primer would be best. Ask a hardware store & see what they say. :(

I want to buy a pre-fab treasure chest and stain it and put realistic looking pirate booty along with some lead crystal faceted paperweights inside for when my daughter is 5 years old, we can go on a treasure hunt and when she digs it up, she can say, "daddy! Look at what I found!"

What a great idea! Your little girl has got a super daddy. :(

It's been a long time since I've worked with wood. I'm pretty sure it's pine or some other kind of soft wood. I should sand it with varying grits of sandpaper and then stain it or something? Should I treat the wood first before staining it?

If you are staining it, sand, then stain, then sand again. Don't treat it with anything before you stain or the stain will be blotchy or not take at all. It may take more than one application of stain to get the look you're after. Better to use several light coats of stain than to overload/flood it in the first application.

I'd also like to replace the hasp on the front of it in favor of one that can accommodate a large pirate-esque lock. It's all in my plan. I'll get a cryptic letter from a long-lost relative. Enclosed are just an old map and a key (to the lock of the chest, of course) and my daughter and I can embark on an adventure, eyepatches and all.

Perfect!

As for Corwin's concern about how long it will be buried ... so just wait until just before you get the letter to bury it. If it's coated with polyurethane or similar protective coating (maybe an outdoor rather than interior grade), it should be just fine to be buried a few hours or a day.

Great idea! But I wouldn't bury it until just before the big day! What fun for both of you! Is your wife going to wear an eye patch too?! Of course "real" pirate's buried their chests without a care for how long it would be buried or what condition it would be in as long as the "treasure" survived!

Ahoy Matie!

When my son was little, I did a treasure hunt for his birthday, but I wasn't clever enough to make the treasure chest - I purchased a cardboard (boring) one from Oriental Trading and filled it with about 6 bags of foil covered gum coins (oh!! the cavitiies in the making :p ), but the kids really seemed to enjoy the whole thing.

Your idea sounds so much better, and it will be reuseable - which is great!!! Would love to see pic's of your treasure chest, if you get the chance.

Have fun!!

Chris