adopting a dog from humane society

Just One More

I'm getting my new dog tomorrow so have been busy getting things ready. I found her picture on the website for the humane society and went right over to apply. She's about eight months old and has been in foster care and crate trained. She has the prettiest markings and looks like a purebred but has a little shorter ears. They may get longer when she's full grown. The cats will be a little upset for awhile but They'll get used to it. Her name now is Zora which I don't like so am trying to choose between Zoe and Mariah. I've been watching animal planet and the animal precinct show for months and decided I wanted to get a dog who was homeless. There are so many. She is just a beautiful dog. I'll get pics as soon as possible and post them. I bought her crate yesterday. As long as she is crate trained already I thought she should have one here. She'll be out of it except to sleep or when I need to go out. I hope the cats don't get too upset. The dog has been with cats at the foster home so that should help.

Watched the Westminster dog show last night. The beagle won for the first time ever. I do like the hounds and am glad she won. :(

Congratulations! I am so excited for you and your new fur baby! I'm sure the cats will adjust. We had one cat, then added 3 dogs (one at a time), and then added 2 kittens. They all took time, and the cats still don't love the dogs, but everyone gets along for the most part. And the cats have places to get away when they want to. That helps a lot, I think!

Good luck and give her puppy hugs from us!

Congratulations! I know your new furbaby will have a lovely home with you! I think it's wonderful, too, that you adopted a furkid from the Humane Society. You are quite right, there are WAY too many furkids housed there...and unfortunately done away with....through no fault of their own.

We'll all look forward to seeing pics when you can post them! :flowers:

Congratulations! We have had our new furbaby for about a month now, she too was from a rescue and she is wonderful... It took a while but all the animals are now happy with each other, all but one cat, but she really doesn't like anyone.... Have fun!

Renay

I've been looking on the black and tan coon hound resque site and they have hundreds of pics. My dog looks just like them. Some are purebred, some mix but they are all so pretty. I had never heard of the breed until now. They have dog rescue sites for lots of breeds and most of them are fostered until they find homes. If you are looking for a particular breed that's the way to go. I know the dogs at the Humane Societies have a harder time finding homes though. I made her a bed for her crate out of two $3.50 pillows and two dollars worth of upholestry fabric at Walmart. Next time I'll use three pillows but $9.00 or so is 1/3 the price of a real dog bed in the pet departmment. I left the plastic on the pillows and punched holes in it to let the air in and out. The fabric covers the pillows completely. The cats have been watching everything I do like putting the crate together. It's like they know something is going on. They are so funny. :flowers:

Congratulations! Hounds are fantastic dogs! I had a wonderful purebred Beagle years ago and he was the love of my family! He lived to be 17 years old and was a very sweet dog. Never growled, nor bit or snapped or anything. He did love his tummy though!

Congrats!!! I can't wait to see pix! Its stupid that some pet stores charge a couple hundreds of dollars when there are so many dogs that need homes. I understand they have to make money, but i shudder to think of what would happen to the dog if it doesn't sell. :flowers:

Congratulations on your new furbaby! Do you have a pic to show us? I hope the arrival goes smoothly, and that the cats aren't too put out by their new sister. Have you decided on her name yet? Picking Zoe seems like a good idea - it's close to the name she knows, and you like it!

Sending furry hugs from me and my feline furbabies. :)