Homemade mortar/grout

Muriel

Hi, just wondering if people make their own mortar/grout? If so whats your recipe?

I'm making a brick wall and think that just PVA glue will not look very good. Thought of mixing it with some sand, but not sure if it'll look ok. I would guess plaster powder mixed with glue would be good, but I'm scared it'll harden too quickly.

Anybody have suggestions? The fantastic tutorial thread didn't offer any suggestions and google seems to be lacking them too. They all suggest using bought grout/mortar/filler, but can't afford shopping at the moment really :flowers:

Thanks for your help!

Holly is not here but I'm sure she would say SPACLKE--LOL you can color it

Gina on the other hand would say STUCKO!!! I think it's greay allready

I say mix you up some Durhams water putty (you can color it with Rit Die) and you can mix as much or as little as you want.

Here is a link to a thread that might help you that is a couple of months old: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...hl=Durham's

Hope this helps Muriel,

Kevin (Duke of Durham's)

I had fun recently mixing a bag of grout (for tile work) with some Modge-Podge to make it sticky enough to stick to a vertical service. It created a great sandy/cement kind of look that I used for the foundation of my Orchid. If you try it, mix it in small quantities because the Modge-Podge dries pretty quickly and becomes rock hard.

Good luck!

Caroline

When Doug and I were living in this fancy apartment in California, the maintenance man used to plug up holes in the walls with TOOTHPASTE! He said it worked just like stucco or grout or spackle. Honestly you couldn't see the holes when he was done. He also used it when the walls had a crack in it. Looked fantastic. Just plain old white toothpaste!

• Like 1

When Doug and I were living in this fancy apartment in California, the maintenance man used to plug up holes in the walls with TOOTHPASTE! He said it worked just like stucco or grout or spackle. Honestly you couldn't see the holes when he was done. He also used it when the walls had a crack in it. Looked fantastic. Just plain old white toothpaste!

I guess there would be no wall cavities :thumb: ....pmsl. Sorry had to throw that one in.....I too will need this recipie when I start my willow, and finish my tuscan stone cottage...:wtg:

Thanks for the link Kevin and thanks for the tips everyone else! I have to go searching around the net to find out what the various things are that you're talking about. We use different words in the UK :)

I went with spackle as I had a tub of it around. The Durhams water putty sounds like an excellent idea - hardening quicker, but didn't have any of that.

On the water putty site it suggests adding vinegar to slow down the hardening. Has anyone tried using that trick with plaster?

I will post pics up soon.

Muriel :yes:

Holly's here now and would suggest either spackle (thinned a bit to the consistency of piping frosting, and use the waxedpaper cone with the snipped tip to pipe it) OR plaster of Paris (at the same consistency for the same application method).