Warning & List of links?

Color Me Holly

I had to reload Windows and all my other programs because of a malware (malicious software) program called SpySheriff. Pretty funny, it somehow was downloaded onto my husbands computer and installed on mine because we are networked. From what we could find about the program it installs without permission and hijacks your system. It changes the wallpaper to a warning, disables search capabilities, disables a few other system controls (like goback and restore points) and asks for payment to continue to use the product and clean up the operating system. Even after one pays consumers are still unable to change the desktop and use internet explorer. So everyone please be careful and backup your system regulary. We don't know for sure what site Michael was visiting, but the next morning when he turned on his pc it was there. The day after it was on mine.

WIth that said, I am having trouble finding a couple of sites I had bookmarked. One that I am looking for is a wallpaper site that had catagories like the 1700's, 70's, etc. Another had a bunch of mini projects that had a mini tree made from driftwood. Thanks in advance. I going to keep searching posts for links.

Spy sheriff got me too about 5 months ago. That is why hubby bought me an Apple computer because I constantly get hit with viruses sometimes (recently) my anti virus protection don't even notice it there but I do. Viruses can not effect Apple computers so I won't lost anymore bookmarks. My problem is now trying to get my addresses & bookmarks on this computer.

Also now I can't use incredimail :ph34r: I LOVED my email backgrounds. I am glad you were able to get that off your computer. It took me three days to get all of it off my system :) . As regards the wallpaper sites, I can't send you any because I have no bookmarks over here (only three so far).

Microsoft has just announced another vulnerability that impacts Windows thru browers and email programs. It allows a rather nasty attack thru media files and can be contacted by viewing infected files both in email and by visiting websites....kind of the ultimate in spyware. It's a high-risk security issue because it can open remote access to the admin level of your computer.

Microsoft is releasing a patch on the 10th. A good firewall is your best defense. I don't normally make a point of mentioning computer security issues, but this one could cause more than just malicious vandalism.

Deb

Microsoft has just announced another vulnerability that impacts Windows thru browers and email programs.  It allows a rather nasty attack thru media files and can be contacted by viewing infected files both in email and by visiting  websites....kind of the ultimate in spyware.  It's a high-risk security issue because it can open remote access to the admin level of your computer. 

Microsoft is releasing a patch on the 10th.  A good firewall is your best defense.  I don't normally make a point of mentioning computer security issues, but this one could cause more than just malicious vandalism.

Deb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Deb, Thanks for letting us know about that.

Lyn

I am taking an old laptop and will set it up with LINUX just because there are either no or almost no viruses and spyware in linux.

For those that want to still use WinBlows, download Firefox as your web browser because it is not attacked like IE is

Ed

Mini Man & Fov encouraged me to try firefox and I do like it better the Explorer. I really advise you all to try it. It makes no sense to me why people want to trash other people computers. Sounds like they need a dollhouse kit so they can take up a new hobby.

Unfortunately, the WMF breach isn't isolated to users of Internet Explorer. Mozilla is reporting that Firefox (on windows computers) is being impacted by this one too. They've got a fix available for it already, which is just really proactive of them. :) You can find their update at:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/releases/1.0.6.html

Deb

Yay!! I'm glad to see they got on the ball with this one! Usually they're pushing release dates back, not forward. That's good news! That means that today my job will be a little more hectic, but not as traumatic. :)

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

Evidently mine downloaded automatically. As for Apples, they can be affected by viruses, just as easily as PC's (microsoft windows running computers) they just don't. Why? Because so few people run Apples it aint really worth a hacker's efforts to bother, if one did, it would be the same.

As for SpySheriff, or whatever, why didn't a virusscan pick it up? Easy, it's not a virus. It's a parasite, they're actually very easy to remove yourself. They have to be, amazing as it sounds, they're legal.

So everyone please be careful and backup your system regulary.

OK, so I am going to show my computer ignorance.... But anyone who knows please tell me.

How do I back up my computer?

Do I need to make a back up disk for each user on my compter?

Anything you can share with me please do!!

Thank you