Do you ever get a hankering for something....

heidiiiii

For the past few days I have been wanting a can of Spaghetti-Os. I know I know. Some of you may think it is gross but I loved that stuff as a kid.

Do you ever get the craving like that?

If so, tell us what it is?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get cravings for various foods. Had a very strong pizza one last week, but resisted, and then when the weekend came and we were getting take away, I just didn't want pizza!

Had gherkin cravings the other week...

Now I want something, but don't know what! not fruit or veggies, not biscuits, not potato chips, not sandwich, just don't know! :blink:

Don't think I've ever had spaghetti-os, just never had them as a kid and now my imagination of what they must be like puts me off :thumb: mushy pasta in ketchup like sauce? na! :banana: (actually probably aren't that bad, just my imagination!)

All the time..................

Mac and Cheese with Tuna

Poached eggs on buttery toast

Baked spaghetti dish with chunks tomatoes and chunks american cheese

Mrs Grass Chicken soup

Warm, garden fresh whole tomatoes with salt, eaten like an apple

Frozen applesauce, eaten as it thaws like a slushy

Crispy hashbrown potatoes or crispy oven baked potatoes

Dill pickes, or pickled eggs

Hamburger Soup

Buttery Spritz cookies

The foam you get on the top of homemade jelly, usually skimmed off and tossed............delish!

I could go on, but now I am hungry and must go snack!

Oh I love Spaghettios with thos nasty little "franks" in them!! Yuuuummmmmm

I used to give into that craving when I was a couple of years younger until I looked at the calorie count for the whole can! LOL

I mean, I have to eat the whole thing!

Once in a blue moon I'll give in to that temptation :)

-pickled herring, both vinegar and sour cream versions

-spaghetti & pork chop casserole made with Campbell's tomato soup & Kraft cheddar cheese hunks

-plum dumplings with cottage cheese, melted butter, and sugar

-steamed cauliflower (whole head) topped with breadcrumbs and melted butter

<slurrrrrrp!> :)

Oh Goulash! I have had that in ages...

Okay this is gross but my mom gave it to me and I loved it. An english muffin toasted with cottage cheese on top and then grape jelly on top of that.

I thought that was the greatest thing! Sounds kind of gross now. But I still love chive cottage cheese on toast.

my mom is from Delft, Holland originally and i used to love going to my grandma's for tea, and yummy dutch cookies of different varieties and the way she made sandwiches were to die for. I've never tasted anything so yummy as the way she would make things. I crave them from time to time. Loved drinking tea out of fine china :)

Oh and when i was little my mom used to make these things called Ollie bollies or something like that (at least that is what we called them), it was a dough with raisins in it and you deep fried them and then sprinkled powdered sugar on top. My mom said it a was a dutch recipe. I haven't had them since I was younger, but i can still taste how wonderful they were. Mmmmmm i want some now!

UUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGG!

I get hankerings ALL the time!

and just 2 days ago I made Mac and cheese....do you know how much I ate???

6 or 7 bites! and I was DONE! pasta Not good for WLS patients!

and neither is anything ELSE on my hankering list!

:(:):(

we had Pizza Hut pizza the night we welcomed our new grandson home....it was sooooo yummy minus the crust! :Jumpy:

nutti :jumping:

Well I googled ollie bollies...of course i didn't find what i wanted lol..... so i googled dutch recipes and found it!

They are called Oliebollen, seeing the pictures has really made me crave them more...lol. Yum!

Is this only for food? Cause if it is for anything childhood - all I have to do is go to my mothers house. We just moved her and she still has misc - um - stuff - from my childhood (records, coloring books...)

Marg - come visit me - I have tea from fine china and little tea cakes and sandwiches all the time. But you have to wear a princess crown.

Is this only for food? Cause if it is for anything childhood - all I have to do is go to my mothers house. We just moved her and she still has misc - um - stuff - from my childhood (records, coloring books...)

Marg - come visit me - I have tea from fine china and little tea cakes and sandwiches all the time. But you have to wear a princess crown.

I wanna come over! Especially for the princess crown! :)

I think what I hanker for the most from my childhood in the Arizona desert is climbing a tree with a good book, hiding in the branches and reading till the sun went down. Then I'd watch the sun set behind the mountains from my perch in the tree and the first stars come out. I also miss riding my bike down deserted country roads and sneaking out to take long walks in the middle of the night.

Food wise, it would be Kraft mac and cheese made with a few tablespoons of tomato soup mixed in with it. I also had a thing for bologna sandwiches with dill pickles and onion slices. And tuna sandwiches with potato chips and a glass of milk. For those of you from my generation, you might remember the mercury scares and how we weren't supposed to drink milk with tuna. I don't know if I liked it so much because it was forbidden or if I just like a glass of milk with my tuna salad sandwich.......but I still have to have a glass of milk with my tuna sandwich.

I also loved peanut butter and maple syrup on pancakes or waffles and still eat them that way.

The one thing I ate too much of and will never eat again? Spam. <shuddering>

Deb

For fun: Riding my bike down the lo-o-o-ong steep hill near my house - the breeze and fresh air and feeling like I was invinvible.

For food: Cold homemade tapioca pudding.

Food: Chef Boyardee Mini Ravioli....so very bad...but good! Also tuna melts. Tuna salad on sourdough with provalone...mmmmmm.

Things: Laying in bed all day reading and getting praised for using my brain instead of scolded for wasting a day. That and running around down in the creek playing wizards with the neighbor boy, casting spells with our "wands" (cattails, that fluff when you swish them while their seeding makes perfect "magic dust") and "catching familiars" (tadpoles, frogs, bugs, lizards....).

we had a chip factory pretty close to our house and you could smell them cooking! :) we'd go there and buy them fresh in these huge cardboard tubs. another thing in miss is my grandfathers cakes. he made them from scratch and cool them on the windowsill..the smell would find us where ever we were and we'd all come running and sit on the porch till they were ready!

as far as the things we'd do, i miss laying in the grass under the huge light poles at the ball field next door, looking up and watching the poles sway! i also miss the friends i had, doing cartwheels, baton twirling, and going to amusement parks that are long gone now. :jumping:

Oh and when i was little my mom used to make these things called Ollie bollies or something like that (at least that is what we called them), it was a dough with raisins in it and you deep fried them and then sprinkled powdered sugar on top. My mom said it a was a dutch recipe. I haven't had them since I was younger, but i can still taste how wonderful they were. Mmmmmm i want some now!

When I read that your description it reminded me of eccles cakes, but when you sent the link for Oliebollen I recognised them. Haven't had them with raisins, but but plain with sugar are definitly delicious!! Mmmmm, I want some now! :)

Reese's Peanut Butter cups (the original ones - I don't know who makes their chocolate now, but back in the 60's the little mini ones came in a paper wrapped box, a great uncle in Ohio used to send us those for our birthday' - they were the best!)

Swedish pancakes rolled up with jelly and powdered sugar

Bonomo turkish taffy

my Grandmother's pot roast with homemade noodles

hmmm...look at all that sugar content...my teeth hurt just thinking about it!! :)

*looking up the differences between pancake styles on Wiki...*

We've had quite a few american style blueberry pancakes recently, but I think I'll have to make some english style ones for lunch today. You've made me hanker (lol) them! :)

But think I'll have savoury ones with some cheese on.

Thanks for helping me decide on lunch :jumping:

Shaci,

Was that potato chip factory in Mass.?

My mom used to tell a story about why we are all addicted to potato chips. She said when she was pregnant with us (and basically anytime) she would go to the potato chip factory in Mass. where they lived (i dont know the towns name) and get a box of warm potato chips. She would do this on a Sunday and go on the couch and spread out the newspaper and have her box of chips.

Now granted..my mom was pregnant in the 1950s and 1960s so I do not know if this was the same place.

I figure we can talk about anything that makes us feel of home or childhood. Like that certain smell in the air when the weather starts to change from summer to fall. I get a funny feeling inside like when I did back when elementary school started for the new year.