Beacon Hill arrived...inventory

darkmoon

Will you provide food, or will you trap the feral cat and take to a no kill shelter?

No, When I get very frustrated like trying to resize photos so they'll load into blogs or gallery albums or whatever) I tend to lapse into *MAGIC* words (what my Scottish Grandmother referred to as "language") such that the air turns blue & little birds flying overhead all drop down dead as they fly through the blue cloud, causing all the feral cats in our neighborhood to flock to our house to feast on the birds... Oh, well, you know...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HavanaHolly:

Did I take your comment on the feral cats too literal? Sometimes, I'm a little naive (I know this). Ray will occasionally revert to "magic" language. Me, I'm very passive, but will sometimes get frustrated enough to say "oh darn".

At work my boss likes to tease me, he tells me that I couldn't say the "s-word" if my mouth was full of it.

Susanne

It's OK, Susanne, Deb & Teresa got a bit carried away with my florid description of *magic word* use. Many years ago I was also much cleaner of mouth, but five years of owning a bookstore with a lot of biker customers & others who used lots of "colorful" expressions and dealing with self-appointed censors and then working in a bindery with a foreman who used the "f" word as a noun, verb, adjective, adverb & expletive was the last straw. It came in handy when I was making predawn confinement rounds giving meds & drawing fasting bloodwork at the prison I worked in after nursing school.

It came in handy when I was making predawn confinement rounds giving meds & drawing fasting bloodwork at the prison I worked in after nursing school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, I did my NP clinicals in Millhaven Maximum Security. Yeah, that's a pretty interesting patient population. There and a storefront street clinic. Man, I learned everything you never wanted to know about illegal substances that year. :)

At ACI ours were more into weapon design, I had one get his lip opened up by soap-in-a-sock & another one tried to slit his wrists using bits of disposable razor blade hidden between his teeth.

One of DH's fellow COs opened a restaurant partway between UCI & Starke and she had a "museum" of confiscated items featured on a Geraldo Rivera show that included shanks, guns, various martial arts paraphernalia and two stills. I wish now that I had pictures, the restaurant would've made a heckuva mini, law enforcement customers would send/ give her patches from their departments and the walls were covered with them & photos of many of the folks. The food was good, too; it broke my heart last time we went there & discovered it was closed & she'd moved on.

I'm planning to go thru the galllery here again, and follow member links to find a cottage  kit we like- especially one we can make mossy and quaint.  Several  I saw when I first joined here keep haunting me- one was a member's husbands kit...it had a little bitty curved dormer window in the roof...anyway, I'm not looking at the moment till I am ready to order to keep my impatience down...lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UPDATE: It may amuse some of you experienced builder/artists to know that I went searching thru the galleries and links and I finally found that cute mossy cottage with the curved dormer window that I thought a forum members' husband may have built...

rik pierce~ lol! and the storybook cottage

http://community.webshots.com/user/rikpierce

ah, what I'd give for that "kit"! :D

Hey, I'm pretty fluent in magic words too!

Thanks for all offers of help! Everything's all worked out and I'm looking for a kit... :)

DarkMoon. I took that class with Rik last year and I LOVE that cottage!! This is the only house of his that I refuse to put away. you can see more pictures of mine in my webshots album.

The Aster cottage is VERY versatile too. It can be a snow whites cottage, a tavern or a with/fairie cottage. This may be our next blog build!

:)

post-4-1138747536.jpg

It's OK, Susanne, Deb & Teresa got a bit carried away with my florid description of *magic word* use.  Many years ago I was also much cleaner of mouth, but five years of owning a bookstore with a lot of biker customers & others who used lots of "colorful" expressions and dealing with self-appointed censors and then working in a bindery with a foreman who used the "f" word as a noun, verb, adjective, adverb & expletive was the last straw.  It came in handy when I was making predawn confinement rounds giving meds & drawing fasting bloodwork at the prison I worked in after nursing school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, there's no feral cats?

Susanne

This may be our next blog build!
Oh, good! I wonder about extending the roofline on down and doing "something" with the resulting bilateral lean-tos... Wasn't Mossy Manor one of Rik's firsts? Also, wasn't the original of the wizard's tower a Buttercup?

So, there's no feral cats?

Oh, there are feral cats, there's a multi-generational line/ sibxo that were born on or about the premises, a few years ago I put food out for one half-tame female while she was nursing her kittens because she would come up on the front porch for petting when I was taking a gardening break on weekends or digging for my keys when I got home from work. Once her kittens were weaned she & they gradually wandered off. Every once in a while one of her descendants show up, the black & white holds down our sauna deck from time to time to keep it from flying off the face of the earth into outer space, but other than sharing our dog's water with her the cat wants nothing to do with us.

I like the cats around because they keep the 'possums and armadillos from reproducing under the house and chase the birds out of the fruit trees.

I'm not sure where the *magic* words/ feral cats thread started, but Deb has a reference in the "no birdies were harmed" topic under Chit Chat.

Well this is day three of camera/scanner problems, so I'm sorry to report I still have nothing to post for sheet number two from the Beacon Hill. I received a PM from Travis T the other day indicating that he had already contacted us and a replacement part is on its way, so since the matter is resolved I am going to let the electronics claim a victory on this one.

I also received a PM from darkmoon and I'm glad that you received your refund. I apologize again to you both for the problems this may have caused!

Thanks for your understanding!

Dean

I'm not sure where the *magic* words/ feral cats thread started, but Deb has a reference in the "no birdies were harmed" topic under Chit Chat.

<giggling> It started when I said something about swearing and Holly explained that she used "magic words" when things didn't cooperate. She said that sometimes she uses so many magic words that the air turns blue above her and innocent little birdies fall down out of the sky which attracts all the feral cats to come to her yard for a buffet lunch. <cackle> Reading that was one of the best laughs I'd had in a long time. So the referral to the feeding the feral cats means that someone's swearing enough to make a marine blush and it still cracks me up.

Ya'll are giving me ideas with this talk about the Aster and mossy cottages. I'm overdosing on pastels with the Lily and I've been yearning to work on something more earthy when the Lily is done. I was thinking either the Glencroft or the Aster so this thread is definitely encouraging me in that direction. I wanna do something woodsy and earthy before I start on the Beacon Hill. The Aster could be the perfect in-between.

Deb

I also like the photos of the watermill house that Jimmy Cullen is building.  I think that the work he's done is fantastic.

Susanne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Susanne! I'll tell him!

I recently got the Beacon Hill dollhouse and did a parts inventory. I had everything except pages 1/2 of the instructions. I had pages 3/4 and need to know if anyone would be willing to photocopy and send me those instructions. Also, are there more than the 4 pages? Is there a page 5/6 or more? I want to get started on this but I'm certainly not brave enough to proceed without the instructions.

This will be my second dollhouse - the first was a small 4 room "practice" unit which taught me a lot about how to build.

If anyone can help please I'll be happy to send a stamped, addressed envelope and $$ for the cost of copying.

Introduction? I'm a working granny with only 2 /12 years to retirement - if I last that long. My first dollhouse was one called the Layfayette, which I had intended to make up as a haunted house, but it sat in the box in a closet for over 3 years before I decided to build it. During those two years I acquired a granddaughter who turned out to be a real girly-girl who loves dolls, so the haunted house idea was packed away and I built it as a "regular" house for her to play with.

I had such a good time building the little house (4 rooms - 2 up, 2 down) that I said to myself, "Self, do another." So I looked at lots of dollhouses and decided on the Beacon Hill. I don't know what got into me. I'm not a patient person and I think building the BH will be one of those challenges where I will be muttering and cussing and asking myself "What were you thinking?"

The first house gave me important information on what to do (and not do) while building and I hope I can remember it long enough to apply that knowledge to the BH.

I have interests all over the map - I make cloth dolls, I paint, I do small woodworking projects and, most recently, cement and mosaics. Last summer I make an enormous cement chair and this summer I plan on mosaicing it.

I think I'll stop here - I'm such a blabbermouth. I'm looking forward to going through all the photos submitted and being able to turn to someone for help when I do finally "screw my courage to the sticking point" and start building.