Do it yourself projects

Lyn

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to toss out a question to you "veterans" of doll house construction. When using fish scale siding, I noticed it seems to be quite large, compared to the equivalent in real life. I checked and real ones are about 6 inches across, which means the 1' to 1" scale siding should be only 1/2", right? Or am I completely out in left field with my thinking? It seems that popsicle stick size would be about correct. Any insite?

Thanks!

Debbie

On my Beacon Hill, I'm planning to mix 1:24 fishscales with 1:12 fishscales (in separate areas, not together). Whatever looks good to you is the way to go.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know of any sites off the top of my head, but it's an easy thing to do.

1. Mark off the width of the floorboards at either side of the room, keeping scale in mind. That is, for 1:12 scale, 1/4" in mini = 3" in real life, 1/2" in mini = 6" in real life, etc.
  2. Connect the marks using a steel ruler (or something similar) as a guide. I've variously used a ball point pen (leaves a little indentation), a fine-point permanent marker, or the back of a utility knife/box cutter blade. When all of the parallel lines are done, go back and make some cross marks at various places to show the staggered "ends", where two board meet.
  3. Stain. If you've made indentations, the stain will be darker there, delineating the edges of the boards. If you want them to show up even more, use a fine-point permanent marker to highlight.
  4. Seal with polyacrylic or other clear sealer.

You may want to try your hand at a couple of ways on scrap wood before working on the floors to see what method works best for you. Good luck with it!

• Like 1

Kathie describes the way I make the scribed floors; I use my utility knife upside down (I want to compress the lines, not slice them) but I have also used a dental pick:

gallery_8_151_70178.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

fantastic thread with so many useful links... DIY is fun! :D

Thank you all for sharing

It is not only fiscally necessary for mini of us, but totally satisfying, as well. We get into this hobby to express ourselves creatively!

• Like 2

I don't know of any sites off the top of my head, but it's an easy thing to do.

• Mark off the width of the floorboards at either side of the room, keeping scale in mind. That is, for 1:12 scale, 1/4" in mini = 3" in real life, 1/2" in mini = 6" in real life, etc.
  • Connect the marks using a steel ruler (or something similar) as a guide. I've variously used a ball point pen (leaves a little indentation), a fine-point permanent marker, or the back of a utility knife/box cutter blade. When all of the parallel lines are done, go back and make some cross marks at various places to show the staggered "ends", where two board meet.
  • Stain. If you've made indentations, the stain will be darker there, delineating the edges of the boards. If you want them to show up even more, use a fine-point permanent marker to highlight.
  • Seal with polyacrylic or other clear sealer.
You may want to try your hand at a couple of ways on scrap wood before working on the floors to see what method works best for you. Good luck with it!

What's your favorite wood to use for this? I was thinking I might try basswood because the scoring would not be too difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this site and want to say hello. I have a dollhouse that needs someone's attention. I just don't have time for it. I had no idea until today what kind of dollhouse it was. Well now I know. Anyone have any information on the house made by Woodline, The Leroy House or Little Orphan Annie House. I have this particular one. There is one on Ebay right now that is white for $3500. Its making me want to keep it since its so unique. I know nothing about dollhouses and I see that the wires are behind the wallpaper. Okay I am rambling....sorry!!! If I was to sell it, around where I am from no one to buy it. If I kept it don't know where to start. What would be the first step. It is completed with molding wallpaper and hardwood floors. Help Me!!!! :bounce:

Hi, Jennifer, first of all you ought to introduce yourself to everybody in the Newcomers' Forum. This is probably a better place to ask about your Little Orphan Annie house (this topic is primarily to link DIY projects & sites); and you do, indeed, have a rare treasure. If you do decide to work on it yourself you will get a lot of help here.

Hi! I may not be the type to BUILD a dollhouse, but I can do other things.

I have already made to scale curtains for my house when someone puts it together for me.

This weekend, I made a privacy fence and a cattle pen. Out of what? Popsicle sticks and wiring.

I cleaned off the sticky popsicle liquid and let them dry. I then painted each individual one and then up it went.

See? I'm getting ready. I LOVE the decorating part. The fabric I bought at HL is a cotton print. It is dark blue

background with tiny flowers in bunches, repeat pattern. I love it. I bought 2 yards, so I can use it again. It was a clearance item and knew I'd never get anymore.

Did anyone ever tell you all something??? Each of you are special and so very kind to all who write, including myself.

OH JOY IN THE MORNING. Thanks.

Sue

• Like 2

Did anyone ever tell you all something??? Each of you are special and so very kind to all who write, including myself.

OH JOY IN THE MORNING. Thanks.

Sue

That's the way I felt when I discovered this forum several years ago. This is a unique forum, with helpful people who are so willing to share ideas. I've been here several years, and it still feels like home! So glad you found us, too :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...