Do it yourself projects

Lyn

Two days ago this sofa w/chaise combo was actually a beige sofa with a separate matching armchair. I ripped an arm off the sofa and chair and merged them together. Then I took some scrap wood and made the chaise. Then I painted the existing fabric with acrylic paint. Now I want a RL one. 

It just needs some of Otterine's pillows.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

KathieB has a real one in her home; the chaise is on the other end.

Actually, the chaise moved to this end after you left, Holly. It's a very obliging piece of furniture.  I love your rendition, Sable. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KathieB said:

Actually, the chaise moved to this end after you left, Holly. It's a very obliging piece of furniture.  I love your rendition, Sable. 

Betcha Lloyd still stretches out on it!  Sable, we looked for one just like yours for our RL new livingroom; found & fell in love with a more conventional sofa, but I totally love yours!

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Betcha Lloyd still stretches out on it!  Sable, we looked for one just like yours for our RL new livingroom; found & fell in love with a more conventional sofa, but I totally love yours!

Mine isn't very comfy. 

18 hours ago, Sable said:

Two days ago this sofa w/chaise combo was actually a beige sofa with a separate matching armchair. I ripped an arm off the sofa and chair and merged them together. Then I took some scrap wood and made the chaise. Then I painted the existing fabric with acrylic paint. Now I want a RL one. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Totally Love this and come to think about it would look great in our RL living Room to! 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 21/11/2016, 11:26:51, Sable said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 21/11/2016, 11:26:51, Sable said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks great! Love the neutral charcoal colour you've chosen 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just have a DIY miniatures  question 

is cardbarding out the structure shape of a doll house or castle or what not then payper mashaying it hen adding the paints fabrics and what ever els a valid way to make a doll house? Or is that extremely amatureish?

9 minutes ago, Dollcastledreamer said:

is cardbarding out the structure shape of a doll house or castle or what not then payper mashaying it hen adding the paints fabrics and what ever els a valid way to make a doll house? Or is that extremely amatureish?

No such thing as valid or invalid... do whatever you enjoy.. I'm just not sure how strong your structure would be. I guess it depends on the type of cardboard you use and then how much strength the dry papier mache adds.

I've seen an online tutorial for a treehouse that uses cardboard boxes and a paper towel papier mache effect and it looks awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfofei4nHPA&feature=youtu.be

1 minute ago, Dollcastledreamer said:

I don't think it is amateurish..Many people use foam board in there architecture models and dollhouses. Card board is similar in weight and you can bend it into circular shapes.

I think that you should use straight pins when you glue the cardboard together.  Then use a coat of glue on all areas BEFORE using the paper mache.  I am saying this because of warpage...

She'll N

• Like 1

I remember a tutorial article in one of the dollhouse miniature magazines (Miniature Collector, I believe) several years ago for a Miami-style house that used a corrugated cardboard box plus a section of the cardboard tube carpeting comes wrapped around and all of it covered inside and out with papier mache, and sealed after painting.  If it's not going to be outdoors, exposed to the elements, or played roughly with by small children, it should be just dandy.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/15/2018, 10:23:19, MiniMaven said:

This is probably really basic for all your pros, but I did a blog post about 8 really easy miniatures you can make from dollar store items

Great blog! I'm a total amateur, but creative when it comes to making trash into mini's. Not just trash, pretty much anything small. I started looking at the world in a whole new way once I started doing dollhouses. And Dollar Tree is my favorite place! I was joking with another lady in there the other day because I had a basket overflowing with stuff, she said her (adult) kids make fun of her for shopping there all the time - as do mine - and I said I've worked my whole life to be able to afford to shop at Dollar Tree anytime I wanted :-)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Great advice! I'm trying to get a set of furniture my kids can play with in the Storybook Cottage we are building, so I'm all for cheap ideas.

Today at my closest "dollar store" (Daiso), I found air dry clay and some little chairs I will use for the dining room.

Does anyone have any links to furniture built with popsicle sticks?

1 minute ago, Jmer said:

...Does anyone have any links to furniture built with popsicle sticks?

I have made my own designs using craft sticks, both the popsicle size and the tongue blade size, like this bunk bed and the sides of the set of drawers:

gallery_8_988_45225.jpg

and this Dutch door:

58b467c67ef0a-dutchdoor.JPG

• 5 months later...
On 5/23/2017, 5:13:26, Dollcastledreamer said:

There are no rules for making dollhouses. In general, cardboard or paper dollhouses will be less durable than wood dollhouses. They are more likely to warp, and high humidity can cause them serious harm. I tend to make large projects from wood, but often use mat board for decorative items, or for 1:48 scale dollhouses. Mat board is used by artists to surround pictures in frames, and is very inexpensive to buy in big poster sized sheets from an artist supply store or section. It is easier to cut than wood. Unlike corrugated cardboard, it is solid, not hollow inside. Painting or vanishing cardboard will help it resist humidity.

• 6 months later...

When I build my first dollhouse, I wanted it to be completly electrified, so I wired all the rooms with points of light and sockets as if it were a real house. Now it has as much as 20 points of light and sockets (for just 8 rooms). Then, wen it was finished, I first put 20 switches on the back so I can turn any of the lights on and off, but it was not very usefull. I wated to tele-command it and, if possible, to automate the lighting. I looked for in Internet and found nothing worth, so since I´m an electronic expert, I decided to build my own lights-control-system. The prototype is installed now in my dollhouse and works perfectly, so I decided to build it "industrially". With the help of a chineese page to build the printed circuits board and to get the componets at a reasonable price, I managed to build 10 units. Then, I made a users manual (in spanish and english) and put everithing on ebay to see if I can sell it. A lot of visits, but nobody wanted to buy. Perhaps I didn't reach the right people. I've tried to upload a photo and the manual here, but it seems that the files are too big, so if someone is interested, just contact me and I'll send you photos and the users manual in pdf format. It uses a IR remote control to switch lights on and off. It's based on a microcontroler, so it can store the state of the lights in memory positions and automate the changing of lights, to get an impression of the house being inhabited. Everithing in a really small card.  Beleave me, it's worth taking a look...

• Like 2