getting to know you

nuttiwebgal

My name is Wendy and I'm almost 40.

My favorite colors are yellow, green and brown.

I have been married 13 years, I think. Neither one of us can ever remember our aniversary date so we just say "about" howevermany years. :))

We've got 2 kiddos- a 2nd grader and a preschooler. I'm currently a stay at home mom. I'll head back to work at some point depending on how my preschooler progresses in school, or whether he would benefit from me being home and available to work more with him (he's on the autism spectrum).

We have one dog, who is 11 years old but still acts like a puppy. He's got more energy than both my kids put together!

I love nature and the great outdoors and would spend all my time outside if I could. I enjoy gardening and woodworking.

I also love to read - taught myself to read really young and have had a book in my hands ever since. I especially like mysteries and thrillers. I love the library, and used bookstores.

I'm not much of a TV fan, but I'll watch anything sci fi.

I've always been fascinated with miniatures. I was the kid who always had the dollhouse book checked out of the library. :wave: I used to make roomboxes out of old shoeboxes and greeeting cards. I built a dollhouse from wood when I was 10 or so, but didn't decide to pick it back up again til a couple months ago. I'm really enjoying myself!

I currently live in Indiana, where we moved only a few months ago. I'm still unpacking :p

Wendy

• 1 month later...

I'm addicted to hobbies. I pick up a new one every year or so.

I've been drawing since I was 3 and I have a degree in Commercial art and advertising design.

I love photography and spent a year travelling all over the U.S. in an 18-wheeler, shooting over 2,000 photos.

I spent a year working at a company building full-size replicas for museums and themepark scenery, with some of my work in Chicago, Philly and Orlando.

I play eight musical instuments and I've been able to play at least one since I was 6.

Recorder

Oboe

Piano

Percussion

Door harp

Dulcimer (but not very well)

Banjo (also not very well)

Bagpipes

I've been building plastic model kits since I was 7

I have to stay away from legos. They're my only addiction. Once I start building with them I can't stop.

I started making medieval chaine maille 3 years ago.

I like reading non-fictional history.

I love to fish.

I've been known to ride my motorcycle while wearing a kilt.

I spent as much time as possible riding my motorcycle before I became a parent, but found spending time with my 4 month-old even better.

• 1 month later...

Kind of an old thread, but thought I'd add my two cents.

I'm the mother of six kids. I don't work; that is I don't have a job outside of the house. Believe me, I work!!! lol

I have two dogs, Shay and Zippy. Shay is a 12 year old Australian Cattle Dog. Has cancer and won't be with us too much longer. Zippy is a 1 year old Miniature Pincher who is a Cleptomaniac. He will steal you bind. Car keys, wallets, clothes, un-attended socks, shoes...you name it. He really does need professional help. lol Two cats, Boo-Boo and Kiki. A 250 gallon freshwater aquarium full of all kinds of fish and a pond full of gold fish out back. I would probably have more pets, but I think my husband would divorce me.

I'm completely addicted to crafts of all kinds. My husband frequently tells me that my level of craftiness astounds him. lol I knit, crochet, felt, paint, now miniatures...you name it, I do it. I've always got two or three projects going at once. I've actually grounded myself from buying anymore yarn until I use up my yarn stash. There is probably 20 blankets worth of yarn in that tote! lol

My husband and I are avid canoeists, fisherman and boaters. We are never home in the summer time. Always out doing things. I have been known to pack up all six kids, by myself, pack the camping gear in the truck and take off camping, leaving my husband a note as to where he can find us when he gets home from work.

I'm addicted to shows like "Paranormal State" and "Ghost Hunters". Even if it's fake, still entertaining. My kids just roll their eyes at me and walk out of the room. I've resorted to putting on headphones and watching whole seasons of those shows on Youtube so I won't get the "eye roll".

My favorite thing to do; laugh. There is nothing better than a good laugh.

My most prized possession, besides my family, would have to be my Black Forest Cuckoo Clock from Germany that my hubby got me for Christmas a few years ago. I've always wanted a cuckoo clock, not sure what the attraction is there. (And yes, I have bought a mini cuckoo to put in my Pierce when it's finished lol)

My favorite activity: riding my Vino scooter. Love that little thing!

My favorite colors are Autumn colors. Favorite thing to do while working on my mini's: listening to books on tape. (Fine, I admit it, I'm hooked on Harry Potter books on tape! Yes, it's weird, I know!)

There's lots more, but this will give you an idea of "Me".

• 2 months later...

Thought I would add my 2 cents here......... :)

I am almost 40 and still a big Kid, I love toys and Miniatures.

I am a Salesman and travel a lot, Texas is my Territory in fact the company bought me a new car in March of 08 and I already have over 43 Thousand miles on it!

I am married and have been for over 17 years (nothing better in the world)!

We have no kids (love them just not our own then I would have to share my toys)

I have lots of Hobbies and collect a lot of things

I love books and read a lot.

I collect anything Scooby Doo

I love old movies esp. 40's and 50's movies and like theater (La Mis is my favorite)

Ren Fairs are great if you have not gone try it at least once!

I like to cook but am still into guy stuff (and I am the family bug killer)!

Aaron, you should get the Bus kit, cut it down into van size and make "the Mystery Machine" in miniature! That would be cool to see.

I didn't start collecting my "toys" until my kids were out of the house. :)

Aaron, you should get the Bus kit, cut it down into van size and make "the Mystery Machine" in miniature! That would be cool to see.

I didn't start collecting my "toys" until my kids were out of the house. :lol:

I think that's a great idea!

I did get an idea off of eBay and painted up a Fisher Price little people bus to look like the Mystery Machine, also have a little people Scooby (working on the rest but not finished with them yet).

gallery_3900_2631_8860.jpg

I don't believe I've ever been in this thread before! Anyway, here is who I am:

married for 36 years now and haven't killed him yet

mother of two sons-one an ex teacher now Air Force, the younger an ag teacher.

4 grandchildren 5 yrs and younger-two of each

no family of my own anymore, just lots and lots of in-laws

Special ed teacher, originally a home ec teacher-24 yrs now.

I also collect and deal in antiques, specializing in vintage costume jewelry and advertising items

I collect 1940-50's Mexican pottery, advertising, and of course, minis!

I sew, crochet, paint, embroider, quilt, read voraciously, garden, do almost any craft (some not very well!) and of course, mini.

I like to garden, hate to cook, like to clean my house, go antiquing. Don't care much for clothes shopping but can spend an afternoon at the book store or hobby shop.

I guess that's about it-I have a very uninteresting life, but I like it!

Oh, boy, let's see.

I collect porcelain collies when I can afford them.

I love astronomy and I've had three telescopes in the past, none now though.

I love music (except for classical and rap).

I love rats and mice (duh) and I raised and showed my mice for 8 years.

I collect and show model horses and I have to admit - they all get pedigrees too.

I like languages, numbers, gardening, Dobermans, ghost hunting and of course reading. Unfortunately, due to my financial circumstances, I can't really do any of my hobbies right now.

Still reading this - only up to page 6 but thought I would add something about me here.

- I am almost 44

- four siblings- two sisters, two brothers - all older

- married almost 18 years, went to University with the man who became my husband

- 3 children - Nicholas (15), Émilie (12) and Jean-François (9 - also called JF)

- we are a bilingual (english & french) family, with me being the most english person, DH also speaks spanish from when he lived outside of Canada as a child

- one blue budgie named Sammy who is ~1 year old and we are almost positive it is a she (cere has recently turned brown)

- have been interested in mini's for many years, finally putting my glencroft together after having it ~15 years

- have polycystic kidney disease with enlarged liver (inherited from my father who died at 42, others in the family also have it), so have been on disability for 6 years and will never return to work, so I can usually spend my days doing whatever I want, which lately has been spent making mini furniture, rugs and people

- like to scrapbook, needlework, listen to music, read (picky about what I read), quilt, genealogy, make things for my dh - always have too many things on the go, so I never get around to finishing some <_<

- started to mini-knit and just love it, teaching myself how to crochet (mini, of course) - waiting for some really really fine needles to get here from England

- not very handy around tools yet, especially power ones, so DH is helping me a lot to bash my glencroft (finding that I LOVE bashing a house to make it more mine)

- would love to have an entire street of houses and shops - would entail ~ 25 buildings at last count, so it is just a dream

- hoping to get another dh for my birthday next month on the 12th (I was an early Valentine - lol)

- collected Precious Moments for quite a while - now financial priorities are elsewhere, but I still love them

- as many of you know, we just found out last friday that J-F has type 1 diabetes - mini-family here has been wonderful for me during this time and we are all adjusting to everything (I gave him his insulin tonight for the first time under supervision of a visiting nurse - no mistakes)

- other two children also have medical problems, but for the most part everyone is fairly healthy

- shy at first, but love to talk and, since it's getting late, will end here

Liza

Hey,

This is such an interesting thread!! Even if you think you have a boring life, you don't - it's such a fascinating read!! Thanks for posting, everyone.

And now, a little about Kate:

-I am 21

-I play harp professionally (weddings/re-enactments, but my FAVORITE gig was playing for a production of The Fantastiks - One of my favorite musicals!!!)

-I enjoy making minis, knitting, sewing, embroidering, painting, drawing, writing (sad poems and short stories, mostly), sculpting, ice-skating, dancing (ballet), paintball, softball, watching movies (musicals, sci-fi/fantasy, historical fiction, action/adventure, comedy...old black and white), bowling, archery, decorating, planning parties, acting/re-enacting, traveling, flying, horseback riding, and making jewelry

-READING is my favorite - I started reading the Chronicles of Narnia at 5 and haven't stopped since!

-The Harry Potter series are some of my FAVORITES - Professor Severus Snape and the Weasley family are my favorite characters - I'm currently taking a Harry Potter class at school.

-I love animals but don't have any currently because of a lack of funds for a pet deposit at our rental

-I recently got married to my best friend of 2 1/2 years - I was in a really bad relationship, almost to the point where I was suicidal, and when that guy broke up with me my best friend finally told me that he had liked me ever since we'd first met - we started dating and 4 months later we were married. It's the best! He's the sweetest guy I know...just fabulous.

-I've lived all over the U.S. and Spain. Wyoming or Colorado are my favorite places in the U.S.

-I love history, especially medieval and the Colonial period in America

-I want to learn to fence someday

-I just got into roleplaying (My hubby is co-DM'ing) and am currently occupied being a Changeling Halfling in a D&D 3.5 game. I LOVE IT!!!

Whew that's a lot. Sorry you guys!

Hi im quite a shy person really but thought i should say a little about myself so here goes..

Im Rachel 33 years old not married at the moment although been there once when very young lol...I dont have any children although im an aunty to 3 boys little darlings :lol:

I used to be a cabaret artist (singing in clubs throughout the uk)but i dont work right now due to having brain surgery last year for hydracephelus i now have a terrible memory and even forget my own name at times.

I got into miniatures about four years ago and since last year have done nothing but, im now completely addicted and cant stop buying dollshouses does anyone have a cure lol...?? I gained 3 stone in the past year and this year made up my mind to lose it or do my very best.

Im quite a boring person really so i think i'll stop here and let someone else have a go. Im just so glad i found this forum its helped me enjoy my little hobby even more and got me through some tough times thanks everyone...

• 3 months later...

Another fine site I've stumbled into....I'm LLyn from Hillsboro,Tx since Dec.2006.

Before that a lifelong New Englander.Was a Practical Nurse for almost twenty years..

retired now.Not married-no children but am "Auntie Lucie" to 17yo Katie in TN and 9

yo AJ in RI.Have lots of pets: two rescue Greyhounds, three cats,and recently lost

Finley, my beta fish.Always have had many hobbies- collecting first edition books,dolls,and NOW have rediscovered the realm of minis.So far have only finished my SF'09 project.

but am also working on a Laurel/Primrose that I hope will be my Harry Potter tribute.

I love my laptop..wish I knew what I was doing sometimes.Might have to take some

classes.

Have done some travelling in my life..loved England, Wales best but have been to Bermuda,France, Italy,Switzerland. And moving to Texas I got to check out many states

along the way.I miss the Winters of NE- but not the shovelling!! I guess I shall have to

just "suffer" living in an area that has a two week winter,no snow,a four month hot

spell and eight months of Spring/Fall.Ahhhhhh, the goodlife....

I guess I shall have to

just "suffer" living in an area that has a two week winter,no snow,a four month hot

spell and eight months of Spring/Fall.Ahhhhhh, the goodlife....

Yeah, I'm sure you suffer a lot when we have snowbanks taller than my 10 year old! :D

My turn:I'm 45,I'll be 46 next month

I am the oldest of 4

I have 3 younger brothers

I love to do counted crossstitch,taught myself to latch hook.I also love to read .I'm a lefty-took me a year to learn how to use a camera

Want to learn how to knit and crochet the traditional way-have a knitting machine(helps a bit)

Am working on my first dollhouse

Taught myself to make dishsets,teapots and books for my dollhouses which I've shared with some of our Greenleaf members.

Live where it's even snowed in August. I also live where we get temperatures down to -40 degrees celsius and get a ton of snow

• 3 weeks later...

Ok will try this

I am 61 and the oldest of 5-my mon and the others live in western Oregon expect for my1 brother who lives for California.

I am not married now and care not to again my husband was murdered 12 years ago he was my best friend and there can be no one to replace him for me

My 40 year old son lives with me because of a divorce and I apreatice(sp) him every day, He was here when I broke my back and when I had to have knee replaced last fall. The oldest girl works for the state and the youngest lives near Oregon City. Have 5 grand kids. the oldest are pretty much on there own. The twins and Jt are all under 4 so lot of fun.

I got in to mini's after a brake down the doc. said do somthing to keep your mind busy. I have more fun making things for them. I also do needle work and sew used to paint but no longer. Read a lot as we have no tv at this time.We have horses and ride every weekend and a mini who visits care centers and one who I breaking to drive alone with the big mare. We have 5 cats and two dogs. And am taking care of my grandsons hampster at this rime.

• 8 months later...

I love dolls, my favorite is my Mrs. Beasley (okay don't laugh at me . . . I see you!! :wave:

I can't laugh at you or Mrs. Beasley because I still have my Partridge Family Albums. Did they ever market the doll that Cindy Brady carried around? I think its name was Kitty Carryall or something like that.

• 2 months later...

Ok here i go....

I turned 50 several months ago. Time really flies!

The second of four children.

I have two wonderfull children, a daughter and a son,

the best minis I ever made.

She is definitely a better version of me and he is my hero.

Had a very busy life but my children have always been

-and still are- the most important.

Kicked my husband out 11 years ago, divorced.

And very happy since, don't think i will re-marry.

This is the life for me, so much freedom!

Have bought my own home five years ago and feel so lucky

to have my own place, my hiding space from the big bad world.

My favourite colour is dark aubergine.

Favourite scent is Pantere by Cartier (really am addicted to it)

We have always had animals, from dogs to horses, from rats to cats,

from birds to... you name it.

Unfortunately I am allergic to dogs.

Currently I have two cats and they never seize to amaze me.

Love really comes in a fur coat!

In the past I have read a lot but cant keep my mind to it anymore.

So I recently sold my 400 books.

From childhood on I have loved to paint, knit, do embroidery, I had so many

hobbies over time...but they come in handy now.

I have had several collections, but sold them during the divorce.

Never felt sorry for that because then I came across minis.

Interested in antiques, georgian period.

Love the 18th century.

And I am a sucker for beautiful things.

Do not have to own it but just looking at beautiful things makes me happy.

I am kind of a loner this last years, but before I was quite an outgoing type.

With the years going by I eased down and got more mild then I ever could imagine

when I was younger.

I like gardening allthough I'm not very good at it.

I totally redid my garden for the fifth time :cheer:

Guess I am patient when it comes to minis, my children and cats but am very easily bored

when its about anything else.

Am a lightweight but loveeee all kinds of food.

And glad to say I can't remember a time when I was jealous.

oh and I totally hate having to make decisions.

I know exactly what I want and do not change my mind easily.

This was me babbling away,can't think of anything more to tell you right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a bibliophile. History, philosophy, sci-fi/fantasy, how-tos, science, you name it I love to read it.

Any shade of purple is fantastic, but I have a secret love affair with aqua.

I love my fur babies: 2 rabbits, 2 mice, and 3 (sadly soon to be 2) cats.

My husband is my best friend, biggest support, and most constructive critic.

Any kind of fiber/textile art can be found in my sewing room. I don't tat yet and there are other embroidery techniques I'm dying to learn. Currently there is a large cross stitch and a small wall quilt in the works.

Classic cars and trucks hold a special place in my heart because I'm a closet gear-head. For my sweet 16 my father bought me Craftsman tools.

I love the desert and hate the beach.

I'm a great-aunt... but not even 31 yet.