getting to know you

nuttiwebgal

Hi, I'm MJ, and I'm a miniature addict. :wave:

I'm 35, married with one daughter who just turned 3, and am a homemaker. I volunteer a lot with our church: my husband and I are directors of the 3-5-year-old Cubbies club on Wednesday nights, I'm the head of the foster care branch of our adoption/orphan/foster care ministry, I work in the tech booth running Pro-Presenter about once a month, and I'm a sub for Sunday School and the nursery. We're all three involved with helping some at the local homeless shelter. I'm also the food person for any adoption retreats and the Perspectives classes currently running every Sunday evening this semester. My friends like to say that food is my love language. I sold scones, cheesecakes, and candied nuts to fundraise for the missions trip my husband and I took with some friends this past summer, and intend to do the same thing for the trip this summer. We went to Iquitos, Peru last year and are going to Chiclayo, Peru this year.

I grew up on a sheep farm and got my first pony at age 12. I showed horses through college, where I majored in horse production, but had to quit due to burnout and other health issues. I had planned to breed, train, and show horses professionally, but God had other plans. I was devastated for quite a while after having to quit and sell my last horse, but I wouldn't have my husband or daughter if I had continued down the path I wanted. I'll never show or ride 8 hours a day like I used to, but we are hoping to move into the country so we can start collecting horses again. The Hubster thinks I'm joking when I say they're like potato chips; you can't have just one. ;)

I was homeschooled from eighth grade on and loved it. I got to quit saxophone (it was free and I didn't know about jazz at that time) and start violin which was not offered by the school system. The only thing I missed about public school was running track.

I was 30 when I went on my first date, 31 when I was kissed for the first time (to which I blurted out "Well, that was awkward" - yeah, I'm not exactly smooth), and was engaged and married before turning 32. Now we have an easy out when the hobbit wants to date: "You can go on your first date when you're the same age Mom was when she went on her first date." :D

Speaking of hobbits, I'm a huge geek. Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Firefly/Serenity, Star Wars, The Princess Bride... I was the one who insisted that The Imperial Death March (Darth Vader's theme song, mixed with some Beethoven) be our wedding recessional, the ring bearer carried the rings on a toy lightsaber, and my decidedly not-nerdy brothers were coerced into holding my light-up lightsabers for us to walk under while the guests threw Nerds candies. I also built a computer that could handle a video game I fell in love with because it was so pretty (TES4: Oblivion) and now run around Middle Earth in Lord of the Rings Online.

I love to read, but haven't as much lately with all the brain fog issues. Things don't stick very well in my brainpan anymore due to my fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue and the hypothyroidism I have as a result of thyroid cancer. Don't worry about the cancer thing - there are a few whackadoodle things going on with my case, but my doctor is confident that I'm stable and we'll be keeping an eye on it for the next 20-40 years. He said there's no effect on my longevity.

Before quitting work to have our daughter, I worked as a horse farm hand (for my trainer and as the college farm work study and summer farm hand), in fast food, retail, Dillons checkout (worst job ever!), night shift at the front desk of a motel, sheet metal assembly in the aircraft industry, youth care worker at a psychiatric residential treatment facility for teenagers, file clerk & receptionist at the same place, and receptionist for a psychiatrist and the diabetes educators at the hospital.

I have a tendency to be a wee bit obsessive. When I get involved or interested in something, it's on my brain 24/7.

I have a collection of hair sticks and forks which I use to bun and accessorise my just-past-bum length hair. The longest it's ever gotten was about an inch above knee and that was last year. I started growing it out in 2008, when it was shoulder length.

My favourite colours are teal and purple.

My dream car is a 1971 'Hemi Cuda. Preferably in lime green or Plum Crazy. With drag slicks on the back.

My favourite singer is Ella Fitzgerald. Other awesome artists are The Puppini Sisters, Steam Powered Giraffe, Abney Park, Newsboys, Third Day, DC Talk, Chris Tomlin, Peter Cincotti, and Celtic Woman. I lovelovelove jazz, hymns, and celtic music.

I'm also an insomniac and a procrastinator, so I should probably end here, at 3:45am. :yawn: Good night! :salute:

ETA: Whoa! That got really long! Sorry!

Edited by LadyGunn
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

Mj wow you certainly are busy. I too use to have show horses and its amazing yes you can not have just one horse.

I currently live in NY... I stay at home with my family after just recently jost my job and my other half as I call him we have been together 4 years aqnd decided to move in together which is the best move we have ever made and after my divorce never thought I would live with anyone else but life is good. Our house is extremly busy and chotic at times. I live with my brother Pete(other half) my 4 kids 19,16,12,5 . We also have our kids that live with there other parent who are 16 and 14. So its alot of ages and stages. Someone is always home. We also have 4 dogs and 2 cats huge fish tank. My oldest and brother both work nights even though Pete works days we are night owls as well seeing we have the PDJ sound on the side as well which is alot of fun. It works out pretty well between my brother Pete and I. Iam looking for a new job currently. They support me in getting my dollhouses back out and think its pretty cool they both agreed that I spend way too much time cleaning :ohmy: there is a logical reasoning for that 2 guys living together for 5 years ommm windows blinds cobwebs the things men over look :teary: . They pick on me because I have alot of OCD things that really bug me. We all take turns with the cooking during the week and then left overs for the weekend works good. I like books Dean Koontz is my favorite colors are tans and things like that. My goals are to get a better paying job but I have experience working in retail deli jobs and home improvement stores( they pay well). My last job caused too much stress on my family and things got out of hand so that I quit working there. This year is my year!!! My favorite hobby/business is PDJ and I havea outlet of gaining knowledge through Trivia as well.

Edited by LK77

• 5 months later...

Reviving an old thread because it's the first time I've seen it and I love the idea.  I'm Christina and I'm a habitual lurker.  

My favorite color is blue, but I like it in moderation, because I'm really a lots-of-white-and-neutrals girl.  
Besides personal things (God, husband, dog), my biggest passion really is learning in general.  I'd probably be very happy (and poor) as a professional student.  

My second favorite thing is interior design (and of course, studying about it). 

I also love to read, but I like the things that most people think are boring: business stuff and productivity stuff (currently reading Creativity, Inc. by the president of Pixar).
I love coding, and I'm quite fortunate to be able to make money developing websites for bloggers and small businesses. 
I really enjoy sewing home decor items, but NOT clothing.  My first job was a seamstress, sewing custom home decor at one of those furniture stores that are made for professional designers.  

Traveling is really important to my husband and I and we do it as often and as far away as possible.  

An odd thing about me: I love roller coasters and giggle uncontrollably on them when all the normal people are screaming.

I'm also like Cheverly and MJ, when I get a new hobby, I'm slightly obsessive.  That was definitely the case with my first miniature several years ago, but I've kept this hobby alive.  

It's nice to get to know you all a little better here!

• Like 2
  • Meow 1

• 6 months later...

- I am the mother of a 21 year old daughter and a 13 year old fur daughter. 

- I love chocolate

- I love thrifting and flea markets

- I just recently picked up crocheting

- I collect vintage glass wear, I don't even know what it's called... carnival glass?

- My favorite style is mid-century modren

- Aside from dollhouses I also play with dolls... lol Blythe

- I also collect Lalaloospy minis

- I also collect Fisher Price Little People

- I hoard this stuff in my daughter's former bedroom (she moved out) and blame it on her... lol

New to this world but I always joke about liking mini things, I always tend to buy little things... including clothes that are two small (lol), my fur-daughter Penelope is a 3lb chihuahua... even my daughter is little... 4'9 lol.

That's all I can think of right now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Howdy, and it's wonderful to be back after falling off the map fora while.  I used to be woodland_miniatures and oh, how I've missed you guys!  Went through a series of bizarre medical troubles in the last few years, but am now healthy, whole, and picking up my life again.  I'm minus a few brain cells due to repeated very high fevers, so forgive any lapses - but oh, I DO remember that I loved minis and loved hanging out here with you wonderful folks.

It is GREAT to be back!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mary K said:

Howdy, and it's wonderful to be back after falling off the map fora while.  I used to be woodland_miniatures and oh, how I've missed you guys!  Went through a series of bizarre medical troubles in the last few years, but am now healthy, whole, and picking up my life again.  I'm minus a few brain cells due to repeated very high fevers, so forgive any lapses - but oh, I DO remember that I loved minis and loved hanging out here with you wonderful folks. .... It is GREAT to be back!

Welcome home Mary. We have missed you. We have often wondered how you were doing. Glad your health is improving. Hugs!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I also love to read, anything that holds my attention but mostly fantasy and sci-fi which to me are totally different. I've recently gotten into magazines Natgeo, Sierra Club, Smithsonian. I don't remember not being able to read. It's always been my escape.  I crochet, write short stories and am starting to enter writing contests. I have 3 brothers, 2 several years older (7 & 4 yrs) the other 8 yrs younger. They're all jerks and I've chosen to be estranged.  I collect beach sand, turtles, books, and old-school trolls. I enjoy snail pen palling if anyone would like to write. My favorite color is purple's mostly darker and turquoise. I was asked once "if you were a crayon what color would I be..... Midnight Blue.

• 2 years later...

My favourite colour is purple! I love pole fitness and teach anyone who wants to learn. I love sculpting with polymer clay, reading, watching anime, going to the gym, cooking, baking, and hanging out with friends. I would love to get back into sewing and plan to soon. My thumb is super green so I have tons of plants. My husband and pets are my life. 

I'm always looking for new hobbies and adore learning. Pretty much how I got fascinated with miniatures. :)

Wow, this is an old thread!

I'm a workaholic, but in my downtime (like snowday today :prop:) I enjoy working on my mini projects (currently a very bash-y bash of an old Artply Allison furnishing with Kris' furniture designs, of course) with/despite two rowdy spoiled bully dogs. I also enjoy watching mysteries like Poirot and Holmes, listening to opera, goldfish crackers, and solitude :prop:.

Like I mentioned in my intro, I rediscovered my inner child who used to be dollhouse-crazy. I'm a bit of a hermit, and possibly younger than the average user here.

When I'm not fussing over the two dollhouse kits I got (a Sinosphere post-war bungalow, and a half-scale Tennyson), I play online RPGs, make pixel art, and spectate a Dungeons and Dragons group.

Also dabble in 2D art, mainly pixelated.

• 3 years later...

Hi, my name is Mel or MJK. I have 2 babies named Sofie and LuLu, ( reborns )  their my favorite to take care of. LuLu is 5 month old and Sofie is 2 years old. I'm also currently a student in the US, thank you. Talk soon! 

Mel, 

Student.. - 

Edited by MJK114

5 hours ago, MJK114 said:

Everyone here is older than me, oh my gosh.

We were your age once ... and one day you will be as old as we are. Time and age are slippery slopes! :) 

On 12/1/2023 at 12:13 PM, MJK114 said:

Thank you. Everyone here is older than me, oh my gosh. Lol

Hey! I resemble that remark! 😜 I’m not too old, I think. 45 but with two young kids and a full time job as a computer programmer that keep me busy! It’s nice to read about everyone a bit better! I like this thread!