getting to know you

nuttiwebgal

WOW there are a lot of posts here. I've started reading them all but this will take time.

Sci Fi readers Try Robin Hobb I LOVE her

So I read alot mostly sci fi some mysteries, historical novels, biographies, the classics, I will read just about anything.

I am a Hobby Hopper. That is not to say I dont love them ALL which I definetely do. I just dont focus on one hobby for long periods of time. I will say work on my house for 3 months, then get back into quilitng and do that for a while then go to knitting... Well you get the idea. I usually have a minimum of 3 projects in different mediums going at once.

I love all crafting hobbies I like to know how everything is done and how it works. I have done cross stitch, embroidery, sewing (mostly halloween costumes and quilting), candle making, soap making, lip gloss making, painting (oils acrylic and watercolor none with much talent), needle punch emboidery, poly clay, jewelry making, knitting, crochet, I have a knitting Machine but still dont know how to use it.

Well basically if its a craft I've either tried it or want to try it.

I have been married 13 1/2 years I have a baby girl who is 20 months (Isabella) and has started her terrible 2's already. She is my world and my most challenging job to date. We do a lot of activities together, kindermusik and play groups. I am worried about her social skills since so many kids have day care and learn to be around other kids, Isabella doesnt have that social advantage.

I have held many different jobs. I was in the air force for 4 years (cruise missile maintenance), worked in a nursing home as a certified nurses assistant, retail, worked for an airline doing everything from loading and deicing the plane to selling tickes and finding lost luggage, I have also worked in a biological weapons detection lab as an assistant scientist. Currently I work one day a week at Hancock fabrics as a crafting demonstrator, (which to me really isnt a job I cant believe they pay me for this). SO staying at home with Isa although I reguard it as my most important task ever it also very happily gives me time to pursue alot of my crafting goals and desires.

Well that is more about me than anyone wants to know (sorry). I really like this forum, it's really great to meet people who are passionate about thier craft.

I usually have a minimum of 3 projects in different mediums going at once.

Well, let's see, right now I'm building the Coventry Cottage, stitching a 1:24 scale Aubusson rug (it was supposed to be 1:12, but the weave's too small...), and in 1:1 scale I'm continuing the newborn layette (in hopes that DS#1 & DDIL will be successful) and crossstitching a picture for DMIL.

Let's see..DH and I have lived in South Carolina for two years, after leaving the hustle and bustle of San Francisco. We've been married 10 months, and are kept on our toes by a 12 y/o human daughter, a 3 y/o Irish Wolfhound, and 3 aging cats.

I'm a f/t student, who, in one more year, will be a pharmacy technician. Mostly my hobbies are walking my dog, and I'm an avid runner who is currently grounded with a stress fracture in my heel. (Yes it stinks, no, I will not be running the Cooper River Bridge Run, I'll still be on crutches!) Being a really active person, this has been hard to take.

Honestly, after all the wedding plans last year, this year my creativity is very low. SO, for christmas, DH got me the dollhouse, so at least I'm putting whatever I have left to good, not evil. It's the Coventry, my first house. (almost primed, pics up soon!)

That really it. I hate to be home, and not cruising the quite streets of my neighborhood, so I'm really glad I have the dollhouse to play with:)

Lori

You have an Irish Wolfhound??? Wow, they are my favorite dogs. A friend of mine had one .... but he died a few years ago. He was only 10. Once he run away and he was found dead beside a river the following day . ;) He died a natural death. It seemed like he had felt that he had to die and chosed the place where to rest in peace. It was very dramatic. But I love this breed! IW are so graceful! You have to post pictures of your dog!!! :)

I am worried about her social skills since so many kids have day care and learn to be around other kids, Isabella doesnt have that social advantage.

I wouldn't worry so much about that one. I think children who have one parent in the home are much better off. Additionally, when she turns 3-4 years old, you can put her into a preschool, which will give her certain advantages.

Let's see..DH and I have lived in South Carolina for two years,

Lori

Where at in South Carolina Lori?

• 2 weeks later...

DH won two sea kayaks from EBay and after the AL Tandem Weekend we stopped long enough to drop off the dirty clothes & grab clean ones & went to Gainesville Monday to pick them up. They are P&H, an English manufacturer. DH's is yellow and otherwise is identical to mine:

We took then to a nearby lake for a test-paddle to see how they handle and what changes we might wish to make. The red round-looking thing on the ground next to it is the spray-skirt (I wish I'd had one when we paddled the Ocklawaha in February!!! Brrr); I have a carbon-kevlar paddle that is sized for me (I"m short), so the extra paddle is nice, but a bit long.

The boats are fast, we shall have to replace the seat backs with something that actually works when we need them to, and the skeg (retractable stabilizer, like a daggerboard/ keel) control is damaged, so we'll be working on it before the next time out. But after our trip to St Vincent's at Indian Pass, these are better for the open water of the Gulf. :D Color me one happy camper!

Holly -

Congratulations! Are kayaks hard to balance? They're so narrow. Looks like you'd have to use a lot of back and stomach muscles to stay upright. Do you take them into fast moving water, or can they be used just for leisurely paddles?

-Susanne

Are kayaks hard to balance? They're so narrow.
Our tandem kayak is about 50% wider and a foot or so shorter than the sea kayaks, and with two of us in it it's extremely stable.

Looks like you'd have to use a lot of back and stomach muscles to stay upright.

:D

Actually the new (to us) boats are trickier to balance, but getting in them is a matter of straddling just back of the cockpit & sliding down into the seat, then tucking your feet into the boat. The stability in this boat comes from the skeg (like a retractable daggerboard/ keel, but at the rear of the bottom); I really overworked some muscles trying to paddle a straight course when I thought it was down & it wasn't :lol: , but once we got the dontrol to work it goes like a dream. Properly done, paddling isn't particularly tiring, because most of the work actually comes from the lower back, abdomen & derriere. However, the back of the seat isn't properly installed, so it was even more tiring trying to paddle with no dependable back support.

Do you take them into fast moving water, or can they be used just for leisurely paddles?

The former owners took them into the ocean, and eventually we'll use them paddling to the Gulf Coast barrier islands, but we are probably never going to be white water paddlers & the fastest-moving water we've paddled so far was coming back downstream on the falling tide on the St Mark's River. :angry:

• 1 month later...

havanaholly,

Oh i'm so jealous!!! I have kayaking on my list of '101 things to do before I die'. I've done some of the harder ones like graduate from college, fly a helocopter, go through firefighter training, and spend some time living in New Orleans (luckily I moved back LOOONNG before Katrina). I also went white water rafting for the first time last year and I plan to do that again...woo hoo fun (little bit of a trill seeker here).

Ok, so my hobbies:

scrapbooking and rubber stamping (I"m a demo for Stampin' UP! which is a direct sales company like Avon for rubber stamping and scrapbooking supplies...so much fun but I spend all my profits on more stamping stuff...hehe)

Playing piano (I have a 500 pound grand piano in my apartment which is on the 3rd floor...the movers HATE me)

Playing guitar very poorly (I try...)

Crocheting

Cross stitch

Mosaics...I have a picture around here of my prized mosaic table...i'll have to find it

Cooking and baking (I make a mean lemon merengue pie and I can woo any man with my molasses and ginger pork tenderloin)

Boxing (stress relief and exercise all at once...the bruises are worth it)

and of course, daydreaming of the day I meet a very very rich Mr. right and can stay home and work on my hobbies all day instead of sitting here in the office wishing I was painting my dollhouse!

I found it!

post-735-1149598682_thumb.jpg

Wow April, the mosaic table is beautiful! I also scrapbook and used to cross stitch alot. I need to get some special glasses that Havanaholly mentioned so that i can work on my cross stitch again, my eyes are just not the same anymore and i like using 22 count fabric. i have several projects in the works and it would be nice to complete them!

Do you have an Ott-Light? They're expensive but I CANNOT cross stitch without mine. If you make the investment in one though, consider the floor lamp with the goose neck. I love it and I can position it to shine into my dollhouse while I"m wroking on it.

Do you have an Ott-Light? They're expensive but I CANNOT cross stitch without mine. If you make the investment in one though, consider the floor lamp with the goose neck. I love it and I can position it to shine into my dollhouse while I"m wroking on it.

I have wanted to get the floor lamp, the cost has always put me off tho. I have a table lamp similar to the Ott brand but i got it at office max in Dallas, TX a few years back. It's a shame that i didn't get two, the price was perfect. It is the fold down kind. I haven't seen one anywhere else since. It was considerably cheaper than the Ott brand name. Works well and i use it for both scrapbooking and my dollhouses. I may consider investing in the floor lamp tho, i think it would be more flexible!

Aw...thanks! IT took a very long time to do becuase i'm neurotic about having every tile spaced just perfectly. Oy! But I think it pays off in the end. I wanted to do a mosaic on the floor of my dollhouse but I have no idea where I'd find tiles small enough. I think the smallest tiles I have found thus far would still look too big.

I can stitch on 18-22 count cloth with just my bifocals (at least until the cataracts start growing...), I have a magnifying visor with four different increases of binocular magnification lenses that'll take me into the 30-something count, and for the 40-count & finer (like the 1:24 Aubusson everyone's probably sick of my posting about) I wear a jeweler's loupe, too. The magnifying lens is just fine for mini knitting, and I can crochet with a #16 steel hook with my bifocals, since a lot of my crochet is by feel anyway.

The folks we bought the sea-kayaks from had named them "mustard" & "ketchup", but after really getting a good look at DH in his yellow one I've decided better names are "banana" & "chili pepper".

• 2 months later...

Where to begin...

I have 4 kids - My daughter is Brittany, 16y.o. (17 in 11 days) Three sons - Dillon, 14 - Jordan, 11 - Logan, 6.

I live in So. Cal but want to live in Vermont.

Favorite colors are blue and green.

My B-day is 9/11

I love to read. I created a list about a month ago of 100 books to read in my lifetime. Some of them I read when I was younger but I want to read them again as an adult. I read 10 books in August. Old classic like Jane Eyre, Catcher in the Rye, Scarlet Letter, etc.

I like quilting - not very good at it but learning and getting better. Want to make bedding for my mini's.

I love to play with polymer clay. I plan to do a lot of things with it for my first dollhouse, the kitchen especially!

Moderate cooking skills. It would be a lot easier and more enjoyable if two of my boys weren't so darned picky!!

I've been on 3 cruises.

I'm left-handed.

Haven't built a dollhouse yet. Been lurking on this site for quite a while. Still trying to decide which one I want to start with. Been around mini's for a long time! My Grandparents were into them- check my intro if you want to read a cool story about their addiction.

I want to move into the local mini shop and live in the RGT Danville they have displayed!

Okay...about me...

Favorite color is purple...second favorite is green

I love anything crafty....needlework, sewing, painting, crocheting, beading...Lol..don't think I have met a craft I don't enjoy...

Authors: Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Robert McCammon, John Saul, Terry Pratchett

I collect Glamma glass, Anchor hocking Charm, carved stone stars and anything celetial..sun, moon, stars....

My favorite movie of all time is It's a Wonderful Life...

Other movies I will watch repeatedly: Labyrinth, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I Married a Witch, Lipstick

I love to cook, but hate to do the dishes afterwards...

I have one cat named Boo, but I am taking care of my older daughters cat Toby too.

I have 2 daughters...both grown 24 & 25 (One is married...the other in the Navy)

I am a widow...have been since my kids were babies....

I am currently unemployed, but looking for a job..

I was born on February 15th...a late valentine...lol

I don't drive!

I love to sing...but only at home....don't want to subject the public to my caterwauling....

I love to dance!

I love indoor gardening (I live in an apartment so I don't have a backyard)

But, building a dollhouse has been a dream of mine since I was a kid and finally being able to do it has made me one happy camper!

I have an Ott-light to do cross stitch and I would not be able to see without it. If you can afford it, get the floor lamp since you could move it anywhere to use it. I only have the a table model which is not practical if your sitting in a living room chair. I love the lamp. I am still not working inside my dollhouse but will use it when I get that far. Thanks for the suggestion.

I purchased the lamp at AC Moore for 50% off with a coupon. I don't know if they still sell them now but with the coupon the cost was very reasonable.

• 1 month later...

hi, i'm shelle and i am not an alchoholic....though from time to time i do have the slight tendancies of a proper lush. :cloud9:

i am twenty-five and originally from Tennessee. i came to North Carolina for school (Duke) and haven't quite managed to leave. i constantly hear how pretty it is here - always from nonlocals - and i wonder what exactly they are seeing that i'm not. i suppose i am just well accustomed to the scenery having lived in East Tennessee/North Carolina my entire life.

i collect dolls of almost any persuasion, but i particularly love big-eyed Bradley dolls and Pullips (another big-eyed doll made by Jun Planning of Japan.) i also make dolls and along with this have rather weak knees for rough handmade unperfect art dolls as well.

i speak French and have a great penchant for history. particularly that of imperial Russia and revolutionary France. even so, i've never met a history book i didn't like. though that said, i haven't met very many books that i didn't like - even if only for the time it takes to read them.

i am an voracious reader and an avid film-lover and my tastes in both run a bit willy-nilly. my favourite authors are Thomas Hardy, Neil Gaiman, and Nabokov. as for my favourite movies...it's terrifically hard to narrow that down but i could watch Heavenly Creatures every day for years and never grow tired of it.

in other sorts of things: i have a great love of Victoriana and all things antique and old. i positively adore Vincent Price. i listen to music constantly. and i am absolutely owned by a small brown tabby cat who goes by Jezebel, when she acknowledges your presence. which is pretty much never.