3/16/08 Adventurous eaters?

Are you an adventurous eater?

Is there something that you are really curious to try but because of location, expense, or fear of the unknown has stopped you?

I want to try authentic Korean Kimchi. It is staple in the Korean diet and is served at almost every meal. It is a fermented cabbage, red spicy pepper, shrimp relish type thing (kinda like a slaw) that is left in clay pots in the earth to ferment for months before it is ready to eat.

It just looks good to me!

***Thanks Heidi for sending me todays Question Of The Day!! This is Heidi's Question and response.***

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kimchi (at least the 2 different kinds I've had) is really good. It's the Korean equivalent of saurkraut. I'll try most anything, at least once. One thing I WON'T try though is baluk (sp?) an egg that is buried in the ground for several months...fermented...and the baby duck inside is nearly fully formed -- right before they're hatched ....Ugh. A delicacy there, though....

I don't care for chitlin's, tripe or brains and "Kalua pig" (poi-dog) was terribyl greasy. I like most shellfish (growing up in FL it's what there was to eat). I can't eat Rutabagas or anything that tastes like eggs (except egg substitutes); I got hydrogen sulfide poisoning in my qualitative analysis lab and have had respiiratory issues as well as problems with the odor of sulfur ever since. Growing up in the South I have typical southern tastes for the most part; I love cheese grits with my fish and fresh collard greens with hot sauce are to die for!

I'm a big chicken for new things! It took me 50 years before I would try Mexican food! Chinese food? Not until I was in my 30's...... Never had pizza until I was about 28 or so..... Just give me fried chicken and I'm your slave though!

I will eat "almost" anything - escargot is one of my all-time favorites. One thing I would like to try is herring - but I can never get past the smell of it :) :o (Not a good Scandanavian I guess) My family puts herring out every year at Christmas, and I breeze right past it and move on to the Swedish meatballs :lol: I remember one year my mother had pickled pig's feet on the smorgasbord table and we all stayed WAY clear of THAT!! :lol: She insisted it was a delicacy - just the Scandanavian name for them would make you shiver, much less the way they look :o :p

Oh, my ... pickled herring and pig's feet have been favorites from childhood. Haven't had the pig's feet in a while, but every now and then I buy a jar of herring just for me. Lloyd and the girls won't touch it. I love the taste of bread and butter pickles, too. All in the same family, I guess. :)

I love food and always order the most unusual item on a menu. I would love to try alligator and rattle snake some day, but it's kinda hard to come by up here in Maine. :) There is a place on my way home that used to have alligator pizza but I think they stopped making that one. :lol:

Alligator reminds me of chicken... :lol: No...really, it's more a "poor man's lobster". Not a "fishy" taste, but chewy, a bit gelatinous feeling in the mouth. I've eaten rattlesnake...but can't describe it except to say, "It tastes like rattlesnake..". Yeah, I know, no help there! :lol:

It's funny...I grew up in a household of WAY un-adventureous eaters. The only "spice" on my mother's table was salt and pepper. When she died and I cleared out her cupboards, her total spice collection consisted of salt, pepper, chili powder, poultry seasoning and sage...and those jars were WAY WAY old! I remember her "warning" us once when we went to visit someone.. "She's Italian! She might cook with garlic!! If you taste anything strange, BE POLITE!! Eat it, or spit it out in your napkin, but don't say anything!!!! " :) I didn't eat anything more "exotic" than pizza at home -- and that was that boxed stuff....where you mix up the crust and add the packaged "cheese" and sauce...

But since then, as I said, I'll try most anything. And have found that sometimes it's better not to ask before eating...if I'd KNOWN what caviar was, for example, I'd likely have not TRIED it! :o

Are you an adventurous eater?

Is there something that you are really curious to try but because of location, expense, or fear of the unknown has stopped you?

I want to try authentic Korean Kimchi. It is staple in the Korean diet and is served at almost every meal. It is a fermented cabbage, red spicy pepper, shrimp relish type thing (kinda like a slaw) that is left in clay pots in the earth to ferment for months before it is ready to eat.

It just looks good to me!

***Thanks Heidi for sending me todays Question Of The Day!! This is Heidi's Question and response.***

If you have ever watched hot dogs being made, That would be nothing. I'll try anything once. The only things I won't, can cause instant death if preparied wrong.Other then those, Bring it on!

Uppitycats, I think we had the same mother! My mother thought parsley was exotic! When she passed away I found a can of cream of tartar in her cupboard that had a price sticker on it for 35 cents. I think it was older than me. I kept the can tho just to have, but I dumped the tartar out.

I was about 12 before I knew people actually made spaghetti sauce and it didn't all come out of a box with noodles. There wasn't any new and exciting meals at our house. I'm not real daring in my food choices. But I will try a bite of most anything that's not fish.

I consider myself pretty open to try anything. But I do have one or two things I dont like. For some totally unknown reason I cant stand the texture of figs. (I like Fig Newtons though). Growing up in England just after the war you ate what was put in front of you and where meat was concerned they cooked all the parts and I love Steak and Kidney pie. But Tripe was not something I couldn't get past. I've tried and enjoyed escargot, octopus, frogs legs, and Kimchi (love it). Dont think I could eat any kind of bug though (e.g. chocolate covered ants).

I will try a bite of most anything that's not fish.
Fresh oven-fried catfish with hushpuppies, grits & slaw is a feast and fresh-grilled salmon with my yogurt-dill sauce is a religios experience!

I'm not adventurous as far as eating is concerned. I mostly eat fruit, cereal, peanut butter, cheddar cheese, eggs, cucumbers, tomatoes ...... and macaroni and cheese. I'll also eat brocolli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, corn, carrots and cabbage. I'll eat fresh salmon or sole - but I'm very fussy about how it's cooked - no sauces or anything. Oh yeah, I'll eat tinned tuna and salmon.

Actually that's quite a lot!

I LOVE coffee, milk and water ..... that's about it.

-Susanne

I have always wanted to try ramps, but the smell to me is terrible! I remember my mom would make my dad (after a day of ramp hunting) cook them outside! Dad would cook them with sausage, it looked really good, but oh that smell! I can remember smelling them on my dad for days after he ate them!

I eat chicken, wheat pasta, tomatoes, cereal, I try to eat healthy. But, one of my all time favorite meals is pinto beans, cornbread and mac and cheese.

• 1 month later...

When i was younger i tried tripe. gross. my mom used to cook chitlans occassionally and when my dad used to go deer hunting we'd have deer brain cooked up with eggs (scrambled) on a piece of bread. My dad used to eat beef tongue, pigs feet etc....i would never never never consider trying any of these things now. I gag easily so anything of a certain texture or smell sets me off. :):D

Civiche is wonderful with a perfectly fresh piece of fish, there used to be a restaurant in Tallahassee called "The Grand Finale" and their menu was all steam-cooked items and incredibly bresh seafood, and they "pickled" their fish in fresh lime juice. The acid in the citruf juices is what "cooks" the fish, similar to what the vinegat & salt brine does with beef to make sauerbraten; now I'm getting hungry!

My grandparents were German, and I practically grew up over there with m Oma's german cooking. I feel that I could try JUST ABOUT anything, although organs and odd body parts continue to be on my NO list. My husband and I ate at Max and Irma's tonight in Cincinnati after the mini show and I tried the layered banana cream pie-- :wave: Mmmmm-Mmmmmmm GOOD!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'd have to say I'm not all that adventurous when it comes to the foods I'll eat. DH says I'm way too picky, though you'd never know it by my size B) It's not that I don't like a wide variety of foods - because I do - but I want my foods to be "normal" foods - which translates into meaning foods that I've made, with ingredients I know & use lol! I'll experiment a lot at home - but it's with ingredients I know or combinations of things that sound good to me.

I'm not even any fun to go to a resturaunt with, because I always order something simple like a steak & salad - I never ever order something that I don't know what all is in it. DH always orders something he's never had before when we go out to eat. His philosophy is "for the price I'm paying for this meal, I want to try something I've never had" My philosophy is "for the price I'm paying for this meal - I wanna know it's going to be something I'll enjoy".

Now my husband, he will try anything at least once so long as it doesn't make him gag to smell it or look at it. My oldest son is just like that too - loves to try new & different/exotic foods. Younger son is just like me - if he doesn't know what it is or if mom didn't make it - he's not interested.