3/16/08 Adventurous eaters?

This was at a restaurant I went to with a business group in Austin. I can't remember the name of the restaurant to save my life, but it was very upscale place decorated in a Cajun style. Rustic, a huge wall of hundreds of different beer cans (no joke) and they served the appetizers on the lid of a metal galvanized trash can! Everything on it was fried and included fried pickles, gator slices, etc. So I would assume they knew how to fry, but I thought the gator was awful.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frog legs do taste like frog legs. When I was a kid we used to catch them at the pond on the hunting lease and fry up the legs... MMMMmmmmmMMMMM. We also had rabbit on the hunting lease, along with pheasant, these were all the animals us kids were allowed to kill/catch/clean. The adults would handle the rattelsnake, gator, deer, javelina.

I guess that's why I CAN eat all the other stuff I do, because I learned from a young age to do so.

They are beautiful. They are thick out here where there is so much grain in the fields. The little town where we raised the boys had a big pheasant hunt every fall and men came from all over the country to hunt them. The FFA used to make lots of money by having a 'cleaning service' where the boys got the birds ready for them to take home. What's fun is to watch the baby ones in the spring running around after their mama.

It really is good. Cut it up in pieces, marinate, and then fry with a crispy crust and it's really good! Of course by the time you add in the hunting liscense, shells, hunting dog, hunting lease...it's pretty pricey!

One of our real treats is farm-raised quail! YUM!!! I like to split them and flatten them (splatch them) and bake them atop a pan of dressing.

Before we sold our ten acres East of Havana we liked to go out there and watch the wild turkeys & hawks (and watch out for the rattlers, who were big, fat, and fortunately lazy) and especially the momma quail with her bevy of biddies! If you remember the Warner Brothers' version of cartoon quail, ours mooed just like them!lol Oh, and we spotted a couple of turkeys on our hike Friday.

• 1 month later...

I will taste everything and anything-must say, not all goes over well. I'd like to try frog legs, just because I never had them before, and DH has, and he loves them. I haven't found any place to try them at yet. They don't have them at our favorite Chinese buffet place