1/10/06 Your First Love

Minis On The Edge

not to diminish 20 yrs of marrige but the way I feel about my husband is the way I felt when I was 14-18 and in love with a guy very much like DH. their Birthdays are also just days apart.

yes! parents in their wisdom thought we were to young to know what was real

and they could have been right if it had of been 2 other kids.

but my mum moved us 200 miles away and I finished school,dated and had a life.

while I was finishing school he also had a life. had an oops... got married

well that was that so I closed myself to that ever happening. and met and fell for my Hubby. he is a great guy and we complete each other. but it did take awhile to move on in my heart. coz when its real its real.

but I cant see how my life would have been better but it may have been different but my kids wouldnt be who they are and that is an unacceptable thought.

so I found true Love and a soul mate.

I dont know if the 2 are different...I truely believe in following the paths we choose and the outcome depend on the choices we make while on the path.

I didnt choose to become the way I am but the choices I made led me to here and now.

I have no idea if any of that made sense.

nutti :)

Nope, my "first" love was not my "true" love, but of course that's not what I thought at the time! :) Many boyfriends, a six year relationship (nope, again not "true" love) and a 9 month marriage (nope, not "true" love either) led me to my hubby Brian (yep, definitely "true" love)!! :lol:

I think first love is just the beginning on a person's road to finding themselves and then that translates into "true" love later on. Of course, your first love may also end up being your true love, but I think that happens rarely.

At any rate, I'm on the "true" love wagon now and I don't intend to get off any time soon!! :lol:

I know my first love wasn't my true love, I found him 25 years later, but there is still a special place in my heart for him. I hadn't seen my first love for 30 years until right before Christmas, while waiting in line at Joann's. I don't know why, but we didn't speak, but our eyes met and there was a tiny quivver in my chest. Just like when I was 17.

Now I wish I had spoken to him. I'm very happy with the choices I've made and wouldn't change a thing but thinking back on it I'd like to know how he's been and if he's happy. I hope he is.

terri

What I considered my first love was definitely not my true love! My first love was when I was 15 and looking back I think it was just because he was the first to make me feel attractive and wanted, but I was always scared I would do something to make him not feel for me what I felt for him--God that sounds so foolish now. But dh who is my soul mate started out as a very good friend (whose shoulder I would cry on when the first guy hurt my feelings) and as I matured I realized that dh really had the traits I wanted and that my feelings for him were real mainly because I could be myself completely with him.

But on the other had dh has always said that the first time he saw me he knew I was the one for him. So I guess in his case his first love was his true love.

So I guess the level of maturity as person has at the time of there first love decides whether or not first and true love is the same.

Peggi

I think that it's like a recipe. You might make the same thing, but when you make it with different ingredients, it comes out completely unique. The first one was fireworks and stars falling out of the sky because it was all brand new. I loved him, but I loved being in love just as much. That wasn't a bad thing because I learned how to separate love of love from love of a person. And along the way, I also learned that it's possible to love someone even if you don't especially like them and that loving the wrong person teaches you how to love the right person.

I've learned that love can be slow and dreamy, or reckless and foolhardy, or deep and intense, or comfortable and familiar, or totally breathless and head-over-heels. Each love was different and each one was special. But the best love........the most cherished....the sweetest love.......is the one who combined all of them. That's the man who took me in his arms tonight and danced me around the kitchen when the radio played a love song.

Deb

1st love is not necessarily a true love, but is sometimes an oh wow! kind of thing because everything is so new, and full of promise. I can honestly say my "1st" love was my first biggest mistake of my life....it was definitely NOT the smartest, wisest decision I ever made. He was first boyfriend, first husband, including 1st biggest mistake I ever made...and for the life of me today, 15 years later or more? I cannot look back and even classify him as '1st' love.

Hubby today is the love of my life, and who I consider both a 'true' love AND a first love....we both feel like we're 16 sometimes. :lol: I cannot imagine life without him, and the same goes for him...we finish each other's thoughts and sentences, know when the other is tired, or sick, etc. I never felt this way with my first husband, nor could I talk to him like I can Chris, my husband now. If there is a difference, I would say my 1st love was a pessimist and could not see the possibilities of anything, but always the disadvantages. Negative people are such downers... :) My 'true' love, Chris, doesn't do that. Instead of always asking why? , when I come up with one of my ideas--he asks why not? I guess right there would be the difference.

Deb had it nailed in a nutshell, you might think you love that person, but you don't particularly like or even respect them. It teaches you to appreciate that special person when they do come along. :lol:

I fear my "First Love" wasn't my "True Love". I was just about seven years old. :p But I really loved the boy and even wanted to marry him! :lol: The last time I saw him I was about 8 or 9 years old. I would love to see him again...

My first "real love" still has a special place in my heart. I met him at school and he was/is such a wonderful person. He has the most beautiful blue eyes I have ever seen. :) I'm still thinking of him sometimes. And sometimes I'm very sad that we don't see each other anymore (last time was in 2003). I think he was my soul mate and maybe he had the potential to be my "True Love".

Well, I'm still looking for my Mr. Right! I hope one day I will find him! :) But I would never marry before my 30th birthday! :lol:

I think first love is just the beginning on a person's road to finding themselves and then that translates into "true" love later on. Of course, your first love may also end up being your true love, but I think that happens rarely.

I see it the same way!

The difference between first love and true love. I know one gal who married her first love and after 20 years they're still madly in love.. some folks are lucky - others aren't. I can honestly say that I've only really been in love twice in my life.. I still care a whole lot about my first love and we're still friends. The one I consider my true love.. I also still have feelings for but we're not friends - we've both become different people. For me the difference is.. True love hurt a whole lot more than first love. I'm glad I experienced them both - I just don't want to do it again. :)

-David

My first true love is beer, never let me down. Always there when I need it. Never asks me where I've been. Never have to fight to get's its top off.

Hey I'm shallow!

Could someone get me a beer?

Could someone get me a beer?

Now I'm not sure exactly why, but that reminds me of a sign I used to have hanging in my kitchen. It said:

"If you want a hot breakfast, set your cheerios on fire."

<cackle>

Deb

My first love is/was my husband. He was my best friend's brother way back in 1988.

Anyway I have known him since I was 9 (he's 3 years older than me) but we only started going out together 3 years ago. Now have a very cute (sometimes :D) baby daughter and couldn't be happier.

In my opinion there is no difference between your first and true love. I have both.

My first love definitely was not my true love -- although he seemed like it at the time! :D Of course, my true love is no longer in the picture and it is pretty devastating. Even so, that feeling of true love is something everyone should experience once in their life. I've been there, done that, and now I'm so done with it. :D

Debbie

My "first love" was definitely infatuation. My "true love" & I have been together since 1962, married since 1963. It must be going to last, se've been retired for over a year & a half & haven't gotten bored yet :lol: