1/12/06 Do Over

Minis On The Edge

hmm..well, I think I'll give this one a shot. The worst mistake I ever made was getting a divorce from my husband of 30 years.

I thought I would be better on my own.

WRONG!! WRONG!! WRONG!!

But, boy, was I VERY lucky....we are now back together and remarried!

I wasn't gone for very long (only 3 or 4 months) but I learned that I am VERY MUCH better off WITH him than without him

We still have 'rough spots' now and then, but, with my back problems I'm in a lot of pain and hard for anyone to get along with--and sometimes we are both moody--but we do the best we can and in general we get along pretty damn good.

Doe

P.S. Hey, y'all when did these little guys eyes start actually moving? :lol: :) :lol: Did I just miss it until now? I don't remember them ever moving like that. Maybe it's the new drugs I'm on? ROFL

P.S. Hey, y'all when did these little guys eyes start actually moving?

You see moving eyes? Hmm. <flipping out a note pad> Here, lay down on the couch and tell me all about your childhood.

<giggling> Sorry, I couldn't resist that. Yep, they move, but not all the time. I've noticed that sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

Oh mercy, the question of one do over.....

If there were one thing I'd like to do over, it would be not getting married at 17. I'm pretty sure that as a child, I never had plans to get halfway grown up and marry a clinically diagnosed sociopathic, chemically dependent, homicidal maniac. At least, I don't recall setting that as a goal. :D But with some strange life circumstances and a chain of events, that's what happened. I learned quickly that running away from one problem could get you into a much worse problem. Normally, I'd stand and fight anything that came along and the one time I ran........well, that's what I got into. (now I just hold my ground like a bull mastiff)

It took about a year for me to realize the trouble I was in and by then, there was a gun to my head and no way out alive. It took 16 years for the right time and the right place for me to escape with my life. And then it was another five years of him stalking me day and night. I got by on about 6 hours of sleep a week, carried a gun and learned just exactly how strong I really am. It's been 10 years, three name changes and five moves since my divorce, but it's been the best 10 years of my life.

So, to the question of if I could have one do over, would I take it? Yeppers, in a heart beat! But then again, going thru all that made me the person I am and brought me to where I am today. If I hadn't been thru the fire, I never would have known how strong I can be and I wouldn't have the appreciation of life that I do now. So while I'd do it differently if I could, I don't waste a lot of time regretting what I did. If I'd never known how bad things could be, I wouldn't have the sweet appreciation of how wonderful life really is.

If I could have a second do over, it would be that really bad Farrah Fawcet hairdo in the 70's. What *was* I thinking!!! :lol:

Deb

I would change nothing. There was good and bad, but one change would affect all of it, and I like my life. Sometimes I regret not going to law school, but if I did that as a do-over, I wouldn't have had the kids ....

I am not sure I would change anything. I have had some pretty bad stuff happen starting with a pregnancy and leaving home at 13, and things got worse from there. I am in agreement with a few others that if I did change anything, I would,not be the person I am today. I would not have the 8 wonderful children that call me mom. I would not be with the GREAT man i share my life with now.

Melissa

I'm pretty sure that as a child, I never had plans to get halfway grown up and marry a clinically diagnosed sociopathic, chemically dependent, homicidal maniac.  At least, I don't recall setting that as a goal.  :lol:    Deb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL Deb! No, I'm sure you didn't set that as a goal! Yowsers!

Kinda reminds me of how I try to explain my housework stuff to people. I never wanted to be a housekeeper when I grew up. Never. Not once. HATE it!

I almost answered this last night but I figured I'd better sleep on it .. but nope I still wouldn't do anything over... The only thing I wish is that I'd been more educated about life and the world when I was younger.. if I'd Known more then it would have changed my decisions.. but then I wouldn't have my son, I wouldn't be close to my family.. and I wouldn't be who I am now. Not that I Love who I am now but I can least respect who I am :lol: well most of the time :D

-David

I would have payed more attention in school and got better grades and then gone on to college to do what I had hoped to do (be an interior designer).

Oh, and one more thing . . . I would have "waited" for hubby (if you know what I mean)!! :lol:

My do over would be to finsih nursing school. I started after I had David and I really don't see how it would have really changed anything. But, like everyone else, I think if it would have changed who I married and the kids I got, I would not change a thing. My biggest mistake was hooking up with Davids dad but David was a blessing that I never regret having in my life So I had to be with the jerk to have my wonderful child.

:lol:

I probably wouldn't do anything different either its taken 54 yrs to make me who I am and the trials and tribulations we endure makes us stronger, not to say that I don't have any regrets.

This reminds me of what one of my favorite aunts said to me one time--this aunt was a party goer, and a smoker--but she enjoyed life so much and people enjoyed being around her, she said to me one time though that if she had known that her old body would hurt so much she would have taken better care of it when she was younger. As I get older, I agree with her more every day.

LOL

Peggi

I know exactly what I would choose for a do over. I wouldn't have let myself gain 75 pounds when I was pregnant! I was so stupid and naive. I thought I could eat like two grown me and when I had the baby it would all go away. Poof!!! The baby is now 28 and I still am waiting for most of it to poof away!

terri

LOL Deb! No, I'm sure you didn't set that as a goal! Yowsers!

You got me to thinking about what goals I did set when I was a little girl. I think that mostly, I wanted to be a teacher and work with special needs children and so I did. But the other goal was to be a geologist. Other little girls wanted to be ballerinas and movie stars........I wanted to play with rocks. They had dolls.......I had hunks of obsidian and malachite. :lol:

So, along the lines of "do over", I'm curious about what childhood goals we all might have had that didn't (or did) become a reality when we became adults. I had one friend as a child who kept saying he was going to run away and join the circus. We all thought he was kidding, but he really did become a professional clown.

Deb

What a neat topic to come home to! My mother pushed/ nagged at me to go to nursing school for almost as long as she lived (until 1976) and I finally went in 1991 & finished a two-year RN program. All the way through chemistry & microbiology I wished I'd not fought so hard, but I spent my 11-year career doing things I either loved or have wild stories to tell, so it was just as well.

After 64 years, 42+ of them with a nice man, I only wish I had been able to indulge my passion for miniatures all along.